Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near annual replacement of 12V battery is typical according to Tesla Service Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest owners manual (p130) simply says "...in the unlikely event that this occurs, you may need to jump start or replace the 12V battery before you can charge. In this situation, contact Tesla.

I hope that's not the case with the Model 3. Service could be overwhelmed by jump start requests, which is a simple operation that could easily be accomplished by owners.

Of course, there are no physical keys with a Tesla. If the FOB battery is dead, there is a procedure to place the dead FOB on the lower part of the passenger windshield which will cause the doors to open, then you can put the dead FOB in the center cup holders to Drive. OTOH if the 12V itself is dead, as you suspect, it's more difficult. Pre-refresh models like mine have 12V connection posts used for jumping behind the nose cone just under the lip of the hood on the driver's side. The same posts have been repositioned somewhere under the frunk with the April refresh, but I don't remember from older threads exactly where they are or how you access them if the 12V is dead (search may help). The latest owners manual (p130) simply says "...in the unlikely event that this occurs, you may need to jump start or replace the 12V battery before you can charge. In this situation, contact Tesla." ;)
Would love to get a more descriptive post on how to access the 12V in an X. With pictures, if possble. The Manual is no help.

Interesting. My Model S was delivered April 2014 and the 12V battery has not been replaced after about 30K miles. Living in the Buffalo, NY area may have something to do with that. I believe that warmer climates are harder on lead acid batteries. No service center in the area. Closest in the US is Lyndhurst (Cleveland), OH. I paid for Ranger service and have yet to use it so when I do get the warning it will be interesting to see how big a deal it is to get them to come to me for service. Toronto Service Center is closer but they can't cross the border to provide service.

Model S delivered in June 2015. 12V battery changed 10 months later in April at 21000km. I'm from Montreal, Canada....

In my post above that is supposed to be "FRUNK" not trunk the darned spell checker flipped it on me, sorry gang.
That's actually probably easier to access than popping the nose cone off. However, without 12V power, opening the frunk is going to present the challenge. I know there's a procedure for it, but without power to access the manual from the touch screen, you're in a jamb.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Yes, the jump post on the refresh S and the X are under the cowling cover right in the main fusebox.

There is an emergency way to open the frunk on both, but due to security concerns, I'm not going to post it here. (This enables someone to break into your frunk)

Yes, the jump post on the refresh S and the X are under the cowling cover right in the main fusebox.

There is an emergency way to open the frunk on both, but due to security concerns, I'm not going to post it here. (This enables someone to break into your frunk)

Hopefully that emergency way does not involve a screwdriver and instead relies upon something the average car thief wouldn't have.

It can be done w/o tools.

In my opinion, having a way to open the frunk without tools from the outside is a serious design flaw. Security through obscurity (trying to keep a secret) is no security at all, because sooner or later (and usually sooner) the secret gets out. Tesla should know better. The pre-refresh Model S solves this in an elegant fashion. It is sad that this design error was made for cost and styling reasons in the X and the Model S refresh. Think of all the service people who will either be trained on this "secret" or get informed over time when they have to work on a car with a dead 12 V battery. Word will get out. Not everyone will be as discreet as Ingineer.

Come on Tesla, this is a lazy solution. I expect better.

Actually, they have made it much harder than on a pre-refresh (D anyway). I can open one of those also w/o tools and much faster and without crawling under the car. The refresh (3rd gen) car is much harder and takes multiple steps, and it's hard to even describe.

Keep in mind, breaking the glass is usually faster for a criminal.

Also, if you want to risk it, on a refresh you can easily disable the emergency release function. You can do it so easy on a 2nd gen D car. On a 1st gen, it's right there under the dash.

Also, if you want to risk it, on a refresh you can easily disable the emergency release function. You can do it so easy on a 2nd gen D car. On a 1st gen, it's right there under the dash.

While I am intrigued, I don't have a need to pursue the specifics here. I do want to clarify the point about the 2nd Gen D car. I assume that you mean to say it is easy to break in and there is no way to disable the manual unlatching technique that you have found. In the refreshed design, I presume that you can remove / disconnect some component to disable the designed emergency frunk access means.

While I am disappointed that the design for my 2nd Gen D car has a flaw allowing easy, w/o tools, manual access to the frunk, which can be discovered someone with the technical inclination to partially disassemble the car (or access to technical service diagrams), that partially misses my point. Obscurity is still not a good strategy, but this flaw is less likely to get publicized because this trick is not necessary to jump a dead 12V battery because "everyone" knows you just pop the nose cone. (And yes, for some unusual failure where jumping doesn't work, one obviously still needs to open the frunk by other means.) The lack of this option on the refreshed models means that manual means of opening the frunk will need to be publicized to some audience, even if "restricted." This semi-public knowledge is my concern.

I agree that someone bent on theft is concerned more with speed than vehicle damage, and access to the vehicle interior enables access to the frunk from the touchscreen, except for those owners paranoid enough to put the car in valet mode even when self-parking. :)

Last edited: