Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Maarten provided this bit of data below a while back. Perhaps we will soon have enough information to model this properly.
It's still very difficult as Tesla discloses very little in the 10K/10Q. Elon's Tweet gave us something.

View attachment 789873

cc: @jbcarioca
That is helpful. Nobody I can find seems to have any idea how that usage is beginning to develop. Quite obviously nobody knows, hence the tests.The one obvious clear variable for non-Tesla use is the monthly membership fee.

Following other subscriptions as well, premium connectivity being the one established one, I was told by a local Florida-based Tesla service person that the Premium connectivity take-up is 'almost everyone'. That is plausible, probably, although workarounds do exist, and quite a few might prefer cellular data plans, and chips can be installed aftermarket.

Perhaps all of this subscription service category, including Supercharger, is about to/already might have, happened.
What are possible clues we might use to decide how much value this investigation might have? In some categories I know which accounting rules to examine. In this I'm stymied by "other".

It seems there may be several of us including @petit_bateau who want to pursue the subject. I am also, but I don't want to disappear in a "rabbit hole"

Ah, hang on a moment. I am clearly interpreting Elon's response differently than you.

I thought that Elon was talking about the profit margin on use by Tesla owners being 30% GM, 10% NM. ..
That is what I thought. For non-Tesla I assumed that the base rate would be increased in addition to the monthly fee. I still think that si a correct assumption. We do know that non-Tesla use is immature, so substantial alterations will happen on multiple approaches. For example, one Tesla did discuss years ago (while opening the Gilroy Supercharger in 2012 IIRC) was that other OEM participants were welcome if they paid enough to offset infrastructure costs. Clearly nobody does that today.

Since this subject is "near future quarterly" our only question is whether all of this will be material within, say, the next four quarters, preferable the next two quarters. I am convinced that the subscriptions for connectivity, non-Tesla Supercharger monthly fees and Supercharger use are in aggregate, material right now.
Even if that is true, while it is lumped in 'other' we really need better clues. O course, Collision parts and repair must have been significant foursome time. Those we really ned to understand too.

Now that Tesla insurance is functioning and growing, we also are presented with a totally different enterprise than we had two years ago. Hence all of these things are teaching us that we now have a conglomerate, and quarterly results now are directly affected by things we are not seeing.

The miracle in this is just how close @The Accountant and some others come to quarterly results. Why? at this torrid growth rate, right now auto sales volume and huge positive cash flow dwarf every other component. Thus, the only question in this thread is when these other things will become so material and so uncorrelated with auto sales that we need to account for them in this topic? Otherwise we should do all this in another thread.

This is a very helpful discussion, @jbcarioca. I can't contribute much, but another thread would be welcome by this avid reader (or keep it here, as you wish).

One of the enduring issues that I have seen with the auto OEM business is that it seems to be impacted inordinately by the wild swings of the industrial/consumer business cycle. In a recession, at least the American OEMs have to scramble to stay alive. In the case of Tesla, the other businesses would, to one degree or another, be uncorrelated with auto sales and thus could help the company weather the storms. Or, put another way, it would help Tesla be opportunistic during a downturn.

Ah, hang on a moment. I am clearly interpreting Elon's response differently than you.

I thought that Elon was talking about the profit margin on use by Tesla owners being 30% GM, 10% NM. That to my ears would make sense as they seem to be aiming for breakeven in the overall Service & Other section (and this has been said occasionally by Tesla). Since there are items in S&O that are definitely negatives, aiming for a slight positive in the Supercharger costs seems reasonable to balance out the section overall.

Furthermore the €0.24-0.29 charge rate would have provided for quite a bit more than 30% imho. This bit is really difficult to be sure on as electricity prices all across Europe have gone absolutely crazy these last several months, going up from approx 15c to over 30c, so the target is moving so fast it is hard to form a view.

But if I understand you correctly, you think that the 30/10 target is for use by non-Tesla owners ? If so my mileage chart becomes irrelevant as we have no idea whatsoever what takeup will be for non-Tesla vehicles.

Mmmmm.........

View attachment 789880
We are on the same page. I saw Elon's tweet the same as you had. The margins and profit were on Tesla Owner usage.
To get total Revenue/Profit for the Supercharger network, I would want to add in the non-Tesla usage.
Since we need to understand both Tesla and non-Tesla usage, your mileage chart is very helpful.

We are on the same page. I saw Elon's tweet the same as you had. The margins and profit were on Tesla Owner usage.
To get total Revenue/Profit for the Supercharger network, I would want to add in the non-Tesla usage.
Since we need to understand both Tesla and non-Tesla usage, your mileage chart is very helpful.
@jbcarioca also,

To get that mileage chart I researched avge miles/yr for each model type, then simply accumulated stock of each model. The bigger flaws are that there is no decrement to account for crashed cars, nor is there decrement by vehicle age (newer cars get driven more than older ones), nor is there a geographocal heterogeneity in the mileage mix. But for a first stab it will do. Let me know if you want any more details (PM me if you want).

I have previously tried to calculate capacity and valuation for the Tesla Supercharger network, but I'm darned if I can find the post/thread anywhere. It would be great if someone could locate it - it was in fact a repost of a calc I did for another forum a few years ago. It set out the data from a first principles perspective to compare both a hydrocarbon forecourt and a Supercharger, and do some network analysis. It then noted the big unknowns in the mix re Tesla Supercharger data.

I calculated out a value comparison with Shell's global forecourt operation and could see that over the next ten years it will become comparable in scale. However at present on the valuation front the valuations I have doodled out are dwarfed by the (lumped) auto mfg valuation it wasn't material. Similarly I have looked into when Tesla becomes material as an energy utility (simply off the back of its electricity purchases/sales for Supercharger use) and again came to the conclusion that whilst Tesla would become a significant sized utility that nevertheless was not material compared to the current auto mfg valuation.

So in both cases @jbcarioca point that it is only worth investing much of our time in modelling/tracking this if at some point it were to be observable as becoming material. Ditto for Tesla Energy (i.e. the wider play, not just buy & sell for charger use). Ditto for Tesla Financial where I once calculated that at max uptake the insurance business might only be 5% of revenues, ie immaterial again, but might become more material if non-insurance Financials were to come into the mix.

Nevertheless it would be goodf if there were a long term thread where we could organise our data capture and discussion, if only to be able to refer to it periodically without losing it. It would also be good if we could get a steer from Tesla themselves as to what are sensible decompositions of the P&L so that we are at least conducting modelling that is aligned with the way they see the business - that way we might slowly be able to make better sense of any data snippets that do get dropped in front of us.

My own mental decomposition is

Tesla Auto Mfg
- making cars
- sales & servicing

Tesla Energy
- making storage products
- operating storage products, i.e.own account trading
- support & servicing of storage products, inc software i.e. where the trading is someone else's account
- Supercharger network (inc buy & sell of energy)
- Tesla Solar, both product salesand also own-account solar arrays (maybe also wind, one day)
- ultimately also Tesla the energy Utility (virtual or otherwise)

Tesla Robotics
- FSD
- Optimus
- Dojo as-a-service
- etc

Tesla Finance
- Insurance
- leasing
- loans (ie not leasing)
- banking (various flavours)

But really it does not matter what my own long term map looks like. What matters in this conversation is trying to align our modelling efforts with the decomposition that Tesla is prepared to disclose to us.

The 1.7m delivery scenario versus my estimate of 1.55m ... that's a stock price increase of $285/share.

Whooo, thats gonnal leave a mark.jpg

If my memory serves, a headwind into next quarter and beyond, and as long as used auto prices remain absurdly high:

Tesla started offering close ended leases on the Model 3 in the 2nd quarter 2019.
How is that a headwind? They get the cars back and can re-sell them for much more than the assumed residual value. Of course they'll instead retain them to use in the Tesla Network, lol.

If my memory serves, a tailwind into next quarter and beyond, and as long as used auto prices remain absurdly high:

Tesla started offering close ended leases on the Model 3 in the 2nd quarter 2019.
Leases that will be available for resale through the end of 2022:
Q2: 4,322
Q3: 6,498
Q4: 6,041

Assuming a 60% residual value, I believe these cars could sell for $15k, or more, profit. That's $252 million through the end of the year.

I base my $15k profit on the purchase price of the SR+ ($40k), a residual value of $24k, and the price I recently sold my June 2019 Model 3 to Carvana ($39k)

Leases that will be available for resale through the end of 2022:
Q2: 4,322
Q3: 6,498
Q4: 6,041

Assuming a 60% residual value, I believe these cars could sell for $15k, or more, profit. That's $252 million through the end of the year.

I base my $15k profit on the purchase price of the SR+ ($40k), a residual value of $24k, and the price I recently sold my June 2019 Model 3 to Carvana ($39k)

You and @dhanson865 may be onto something. See his post in the Investment thread:
dhanson865 Lease Post

I have in the past been very good at forecasting Lease revenues and costs; I have never been off by more than 3% except for Q4 2021.
Here are historical Lease numbers with my original estimate for Q4 2021:
1649181985828.png

Taking the lease rates provided by Tesla's P&D report, I was pretty confident about my Q4 estimate.
However, here is the table with Q4 '21 Actuals inserted:

1649182272653.png

Q4 2021 Revenues jumped to $628m and profit jumped to $232m. This was a huge break from the trend.
When I saw this at the time, my thinking was that this was the result of a one-time accounting adjustment but when the 10K was published I saw nothing mentioning an accounting adjustment. Now you two have me thinking that this jump in Lease Revenues and Profits may be due to Q4 2021 being the first quarter where Tesla sold returning leased cars (at least in significant numbers).
For Q1 2022, I only have Revenue of $441m and of Profit $163m. My Q1 estimate may be very low if in fact Tesla is starting to sell returning leased vehicles.

Last edited:
You and @dhanson865 may be onto something. See his post in the Investment thread:
dhanson865 Lease Post

I have in the past been very good at forecasting Lease revenues and costs; I have never been off by more than 3% except for Q4 2021.
View attachment 790375

Taking the lease rates provided by Tesla's P&D report, I was pretty confident about my Q4 estimate.

View attachment 790379

Q4 2021 Revenues jumped to $628m and profit jumped to $232m. This was a huge break from the trend.
When I saw this at the time, my thinking was that this was the result of a one-time accounting adjustment but when the 10K was published I saw nothing mentioning an accounting adjustment. Now you two have me thinking that this jump in Lease Revenues and Profits may be due to Q4 2021 being the first quarter where Tesla sold returning leased cars (at least in significant numbers).
For Q1 2022, I only have Revenue of $441m and of Profit $163m. My Q1 estimate may be very low if in fact Tesla is starting to sell returning leases vehicles.
Fantastic info, as usual. Interesting that the boost started in Q4, 2021, because Model 3 leases were not available before Q2, 2019. Could this be early return of Model 3 leases, or is this just the impact of increased resell price of returned S/X? Since the lease cost of revenue has also started to spike, I would guess it includes some Model 3 early returns.

dhanson865 Lease Post

View attachment 790375

View attachment 790379

For Q1 2022, I only have Revenue of $441m and of Profit $163m. My Q1 estimate may be very low if in fact Tesla is starting to sell returning leases vehicles.
I have never leased a car and thus I have 2 questions about Model 3 leasing. If anyone has insights, please share:

1. I understand Model 3 leases started around April 2019 so in theory we would only expect to see them coming off lease in Q2 2022. Is it possible for leases to end early . . .perhaps if the lessee is leasing another Tesla as a replacement?

2. If someone has a 3 year lease on a Model 3 with Tesla, how would they time a new lease with another Model 3 considering the wait times? If the lease ends in May but the wait time is to December, how does a lessee bridge this.? Does Tesla allow you to continue the lease beyond 3 years if you are waiting for a new one? Does the lessee move ahead on the wait list?

Thanks

1. I understand Model 3 leases started around April 2019 so in theory we would only expect to see them coming off lease in Q2 2022. Is it possible for leases to end early . . .perhaps if the lessee is leasing another Tesla as a replacement?

Originally Tesla allowed third party dealers to buy out a Model 3 lease early. They have discontinued that. But the lessee can still end the lease early. (But they don't get the full remaining value as if they had bought out the lease, and may actually have to pay to end it early.)

2. If someone has a 3 year lease on a Model 3 with Tesla, how would they time a new lease with another Model 3 considering the wait times? If the lease ends in May but the wait time is to December, how does a lessee bridge this.? Does Tesla allow you to continue the lease beyond 3 years if you are waiting for a new one? Does the lessee move ahead on the wait list?
  • Tesla generally allows you to extend a lease month-by-month for up to 6 months.
  • The lessee can end the lease early.
  • The lessee can use a service like Swap-a-Lease to transfer the lease to someone else. (Though there normally has to be more than 6 months left on the lease.)

Can anyone confirm if deliveries of made in Austin Model Y started at the Cyber Rodeo yesterday? I saw some references to deliveries on Twitter but nothing definitive.
A Wall Street Journal headline asserts that deliveries started, but I don't have a subscription to read the whole thing and find out what they're basing that on.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyEnglish
They delivered some (a bunch actually) on stage. But there is some assertion that the first batch was delivered to employees, as is Tesla's practice with any new line (so that the early adopters are inside people and they can fix any problems that are encountered early). To me the question is whether or not they're delivering to the general public yet.

That said -- delivering any at all means that vehicles from that factory are *allowed* to be delivered and driven on public roads. So now its just a matter of Tesla's own internal choices as to how to ramp up.

That said -- delivering any at all means that vehicles from that factory are *allowed* to be delivered and driven on public roads. So now its just a matter of Tesla's own internal choices as to how to ramp up.

Tesla seems to be making some changes to the Model Y order page to accomodate the Austin Model Y: