Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need an opinion: AWD or Full Self-Driving Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite honestly, I find it remarkable the perception is a Model 3 AWD improves driver confidence. I was very surprised the first time I drove my car in snow, the back end kicks out at a touch of the throttle around a corner. In a straight line its totally fine, it might slide a tiny bit but its really trivial and not terribly concerning. Around a corner it drives no different than the RWD model. My brother has a RWD 3, and it drives just the same in snow other than the straight line acceleration. It brakes and turns just the same, the back slides if you're not careful with the throttle input even going slow around a bend. From my perspective, I think the AWD is worse for the average driver that buys AWD to feel more comfortable. It has no appreciable impact to the vehicles safety and stability, so giving the driver more confidence is likely not beneficial. Especially if this is a driver that feels they could use it.

To be clear, I think the AWD is great and a significant upgrade over the RWD models. But if the driver is scared about driving in adverse weather conditions, I don't see how it helps since its massively rear biased. It absolutely does not drive like a vehicle with full time AWD. In rain you probably would never notice, and on dry roads you surely wouldn't. Maybe im just misjudging how slow people drive in snow or something. If you drive well under the limit of the tires it makes no difference where the power comes from.

I've had both a mid range RWD and a stealth performance AWD now, and there is no question the AWD is superior in the snow. Of course a RWD with snow tires will still perform reasonably well, but I personally think if you live where it snows regularly you should have snow tires or at least all seasons with the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating regardless of what you drive. We had a snow storm last week that dumped 14-18" depending on where you measured, and I took the stealth performance on Michelin X-Ice tires out before any plows had come by our area and the car literally plowed its way through everything. Up and down hills, intentional sideways action, doughnuts in track mode, etc. The RWD is good, but the AWD is materially better when you have a real storm and are facing mountainous conditions.

Guys,

I can't afford both in my Teals 3. I have been researching about the both functionalities but can't make a decision

I live in NJ and never drove AWD car before. I know i can get the Full Self-driving later on but I just don't want to spend the more money for a couple of years so I want to make my decision before i buy the car.

Following are my thoughts:

AWD:
  • You get rear heated seats (good for kids)
  • Good to NJ winters
  • Very good battery life
  • A hardware to support next version of supercharger
  • Excellent pickup

Full Self-driving capability:
  • Relaxed driving (I don't have long commute (25 miles one way) but its NJ and heavy traffic)
  • Tesla is incresing price as they are adding more features. Want to get it before price goes much
Guys,

I can't afford both in my Teals 3. I have been researching about the both functionalities but can't make a decision about which one is worth it more.

I live in NJ and never drove AWD car before. I know i can get the Full Self-driving later on but I just don't want to spend the more money for a couple of years so I want to make my decision before i buy the car.

Following are my thoughts:

AWD:
  • You get rear heated seats (good for kids)
  • Good to NJ winters
  • Very good battery life
  • A hardware to support next version of supercharger
  • Excellent pickup

Full Self-driving capability:
  • Relaxed driving (I don't have long commute (25 miles one way) but its NJ and heavy traffic)
  • Tesla is incresing price as they are adding more features. Want to get it before price goes much higher
  • Traffic light and stop sign is coming very very soon
  • lane change and exits functionality
  • I don't care about summons and parking

New owner, first time poster here. I was in the same situation, and chose the Performance Stealth. As others stated, you can always add the full navigation later. Further, depending on your driving habits, you may or may not use it much, relative to the included auto pilot. With dual motor, you are getting a tremendous drive train, and a longer range battery. Between the AWD and performance stealth, you are getting a heck of a car for only $2k more. When I'm driving by all the Audi 4s, BMW 3s or even 5s, AMGs, etc. (some of which I've owned in the past), I can't help but smile and think of Elon's quip about buying a horse. Go with stealth!

It occurs to me if the only difference between a Model 3 AWD and a Model 3 Performance Stealth is the software that allows Performance Stealth motors to perform at the higher acceleration numbers, then Tesla would be smart to offer a $2-$3k software upgrade package. I mean, Tesla is always pushing the FSD upgrade, which provides marginally effective features. The company might as well offer a software performance upgrade that provides real results for the money. If possible, it seems like a no-brainer income generator.

I've had both a mid range RWD and a stealth performance AWD now, and there is no question the AWD is superior in the snow. Of course a RWD with snow tires will still perform reasonably well, but I personally think if you live where it snows regularly you should have snow tires or at least all seasons with the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating regardless of what you drive. We had a snow storm last week that dumped 14-18" depending on where you measured, and I took the stealth performance on Michelin X-Ice tires out before any plows had come by our area and the car literally plowed its way through everything. Up and down hills, intentional sideways action, doughnuts in track mode, etc. The RWD is good, but the AWD is materially better when you have a real storm and are facing mountainous conditions.

If you frequently need to drive through deeper light snow, AWD is definitely better. The trouble is those conditions are not challenging to drive through with most any car, until the snow is well above the hood and visibility is poor. In more populated areas where you more commonly get a slush/ice mixture on the roads, snow tires on a RWD would absolutely destroy an AWD with the stock all seasons. I've driven FWD cars on bald summer tires with snow deep enough its rolling over the hood, and that tends to be no problem. You let off the throttle and the car stops reasonably well on its own. Its much worse driving in areas with significant ruts from previous traffic that push your car around, or deep slush with occasional ice. In those conditions, its too common for people to get too confident since they have an AWD SUV, and if you hit a series of ruts that push the vehicle around a bit, it can spin fairly easily if you're going too fast. At least around here, the most common vehicles in ditches are SUVs. A few stuck cars on bald all seasons now and then, but driving into a ditch is more common.

Just to be clear, the AWD is clearly better. The trouble is it can wrongly give the driver confidence that's going to increase the likelihood they won't arrive safely. A RWD car with snow tires is without question more capable than an AWD car with all seasons. It will brake in a shorter distance, corner at higher speeds, increase the effectiveness of the stability system, and be less likely to spin. Acceleration is probably better too, but this one is a bit of a wash since it depends on the conditions and drivers ability. The AWD car will be more stable under acceleration. Either way, snow tires matter a great deal unless you almost never face snow or temps below freezing. So get the AWD and get snow tires too.