Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need an opinion: AWD or Full Self-Driving Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any car driven to the limits of its tires traction can have the rear end kick out. The purpose of AWD is to have more control and stability in situations that need it. Snow and ice for example. I dont live in an area that's gets alot of ice and snow but I still see the need for AWD under certain wet conditions. I have a RWD S and even with traction control on I can get my S to lose traction in corners or under full throttle acceleration. There have been plenty of times where AWD would have made driving in slippery conditions less stressful. I fully understand how different AWD setups work in other vehicle brands but over last month of driving a 2018 75d there was not one time it felt unstable in corners while not going slow but as with any tires on any car they will have a limit on wet or dry pavement. I push all my vehicles hard and I'm pretty confident about knowing the limits of each of them.

I still say get AWD over FSD especially if you have harsh winter or driving conditions....you wont know you need it until you do.

Quite honestly, I find it remarkable the perception is a Model 3 AWD improves driver confidence. I was very surprised the first time I drove my car in snow, the back end kicks out at a touch of the throttle around a corner. In a straight line its totally fine, it might slide a tiny bit but its really trivial and not terribly concerning. Around a corner it drives no different than the RWD model. My brother has a RWD 3, and it drives just the same in snow other than the straight line acceleration. It brakes and turns just the same, the back slides if you're not careful with the throttle input even going slow around a bend. From my perspective, I think the AWD is worse for the average driver that buys AWD to feel more comfortable. It has no appreciable impact to the vehicles safety and stability, so giving the driver more confidence is likely not beneficial. Especially if this is a driver that feels they could use it.

To be clear, I think the AWD is great and a significant upgrade over the RWD models. But if the driver is scared about driving in adverse weather conditions, I don't see how it helps since its massively rear biased. It absolutely does not drive like a vehicle with full time AWD. In rain you probably would never notice, and on dry roads you surely wouldn't. Maybe im just misjudging how slow people drive in snow or something. If you drive well under the limit of the tires it makes no difference where the power comes from.

Reactions: neptunesfinest
I have the AWD and FSD. If I was getting a new one today I would just get the AWD and no FSD because the included Auto Pilot does everything you probably want in the traffic you drive in.

One question I have for anyone that can answer. I know you don't get the auto lane change but can you still command it to lane change with the no FSD? I'd assume yes, since I use it now all the time but could be wrong since I have FSD. I'm talking about using auto pilot (no NOA) and I do a full stalk turn signal and the car changes the lane itself. If that is something with standard Auto Pilot then I definitely wouldn't get FSD.

AWD. and regarding the promises of true FSD with current autopilot hardware... well.... every morning when the low sun hits my model 3... i get periodically warnings about "limited blind spot detection" because the cameras dont work against bright sun light....

AWD.

I'm always surprised people would even consider paying in advance for full self driving. I'm highly skeptical it will ever be delivered as promised. Love my car and love AP1, I just remember Elon promising FSD 5 years ago when I bought my MS. Those of you that have been around long enough will remember the coast to coast on autopilot promise that faded into the ether.

I personally went with the SR+ without FSD. I could “afford” AWD with FSD, however based on what I’ve read I’m 100% confident I’ll be happy without either and decided to make better use of the funds. I can always add FSD later if I change my mind, and snow tires are cheaper than AWD so I’m covered there also. Just something to think about.

Reactions: Jffurlan
I personally went with the SR+ without FSD. I could “afford” AWD with FSD, however based on what I’ve read I’m 100% confident I’ll be happy without either and decided to make better use of the funds. I can always add FSD later if I change my mind, and snow tires are cheaper than AWD so I’m covered there also. Just something to think about.

I've driven AWD and RWD Model 3 with and without snow tires on snow and ice. Not even a remote question, the AWD barely matters, and isn't likely to make most drivers safer on snow. Get snow tires if you drive on snow. AWD won't make you stop or turn any better, and its not really any more stable unless you're driving hard. You don't need AWD, the dual motor car is quite bad on snow with the MXM4's, just the same as the RWD.

• Disagree
Reactions: PWlakewood
I've driven AWD and RWD Model 3 with and without snow tires on snow and ice. Not even a remote question, the AWD barely matters, and isn't likely to make most drivers safer on snow. Get snow tires if you drive on snow. AWD won't make you stop or turn any better, and its not really any more stable unless you're driving hard. You don't need AWD, the dual motor car is quite bad on snow with the MXM4's, just the same as the RWD.
What part of the country do you live in? From what I've seen the M3 does pretty well in the snow.

How about how it handles the Crest of a hill?
How do you handle it? There's nothing different about the how it will be handled, simply a matter of when the system will have learned the same mechanisms we have. Plus it will have non-human sensors to supplement.

My point isn't that FSD and full autonomy is near - I simply don't know - but it's not really a question of how. The truth of it is that humans have conditioned themselves to trust a lot of driving scenarios where we don't have all of the evidence that things will be just fine. Cresting a hill, entering an intersection at speed, braking suddenly, swerving to avoid something, and lots of other things.

To the OP, no question. Get the AWD. One of your choices can never be changed. The other can.

Reactions: tvad
This guy from Jersey says: AWD. Not even a contest.
You’ll get all the good stuff of Autopilot, both cruising on 287 and sitting in traffic on Route 24..... but with the better audio, extra lights, top shelf battery and - oh yeah - the second motor. Totally worthwhile in my book. I never ever ever think about range unless I have to cross state lines. Even Mahwah to Cape May in an ice storm with the heater on full blast is a straight shot on an AWD.

FSD really only brings two things today ... Smart Summon (which is a parlor trick) and Lane-change-on-Autopilot ... which admittedly, I use a lot. That said, is it worth $7k? Totally up to you.

If you ever absolutely-gotta-have-it, FSD is a credit card number away. AWD means selling your car.

For those suggesting the performance upgrade... sure, it’s fun, but this is NJ - where would you really use it? we don’t even have Englishtown Raceway anymore.

My $0.02: Save the couple grand and take the family on a cruise ...

I have the AWD and FSD. If I was getting a new one today I would just get the AWD and no FSD because the included Auto Pilot does everything you probably want in the traffic you drive in.

One question I have for anyone that can answer. I know you don't get the auto lane change but can you still command it to lane change with the no FSD? I'd assume yes, since I use it now all the time but could be wrong since I have FSD. I'm talking about using auto pilot (no NOA) and I do a full stalk turn signal and the car changes the lane itself. If that is something with standard Auto Pilot then I definitely wouldn't get FSD.
To answer your question, no, there is no lane changing capability with AP while using Autosteer. If you don’t turn AP Autosteer off before changing lanes you have to fight the steering correction which will turn AP off anyway.
Manual lane changes can be done, however, while keeping TACC engaged.

easy decision AWD. You can add fsd later. You can’t add a motor, premium interior with better sound, heated seats, connectivity, acceleration, range, ect.

I made the sr+ mistake and while i love the car, more care would have been better.

To answer your question, no, there is no lane changing capability with AP while using Autosteer. If you don’t turn AP Autosteer off before changing lanes you have to fight the steering correction which will turn AP off anyway.
Manual lane changes can be done, however, while keeping TACC engaged.

Thanks for clarifying / confirming. Seems like that should be there but part of the FSD package. Regardless for the OP still get the AWD over FSD.

You can always upgrade to FSD, can never upgrade to AWD.
I think you'll get more back for having the AWD. If your daily drive doesn't change speed limits all the time then speed limit sign recognition doesn't really give you anything, and I don't think auto lane change adds any value when you have to make sure that it's safe yourself anyway.
Autopilot will keep you straight while you check your blind spots, then you press the shifter up once to disengage AP (or if you're super-lazy like me: up then down, to disengage AP and engage TACC. I call this 0 pedal driving), pull into the neighboring lane, double press shifter to start AP again.
You have an unnecessary step. You can just hit the turn signal and then steer to only disengage auto steer and not TACC.