Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for screen protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is recommending Abstract Ocean, but the best one is Spigen's EZ Fit Matte protector.

Literally no hassle installing the protector. Done in 1 minute. No lifting/matching up sides. Was a pleasure to install.
The Spigen may be a great screen protector but at $70 US it is no bargain. The AO protector, far from the least expensive screen protector on the market, only costs $38 US.

my logic on screen protectors is as follows... First -- get matte - cuts down on glare. Glare is real. Second -- you will ant to clean your screen - when you do - removing fingerprints - you will scratch your screen. Even if you use microfiber - you will scratch the screen. You will clean the screen less because you will not want to scratch the screen. Hence - screen protector. ick the crap out of it - clean it whenever -- no issue -- scratches? Replace it. Also - as I said before - if you wear polarized sunglasses MAKE SURE you get a screen protector (like the one from abstract ocean) - that you will actually be able to see thru with your glasses. Avoid knock off garbage from amazon. Abstract ocean comes with a plastic snap on template that goes around your model y screen. You simply drop in the screen protector and its a perfect fit. Spine isn't really cheaper - Abstract Ocean is $37.99. Nothing against Spigen - I Can only vouch for abstract ocean.

I looked at the Spigen - seems cool especially with their applicator - I would say the Spigen applicator is superior over the abstract ocean. Reading the reviews - one guy stated that there is an issue with polarized glasses - so if you have those - be advised.

I looked at the Spigen - seems cool especially with their applicator - I would say the Spigen applicator is superior over the abstract ocean. Reading the reviews - one guy stated that there is an issue with polarized glasses - so if you have those - be advised.

@VaxAce thanks for the warning! Do you remember if that was mentioned in regard to the regular (clear/glossy) version, or the "Anti-glare" matte version?

Bought my Tesla in 2016. Just over 100,000 miles. No screen protector.

I wipe it with a plush microfiber rag every drive, multiple times as I dont want to see finger prints ever.

Zero scratches. Zero micro scratches.

I'm also a mechanic so my hands are very rough. I'm not gentle with my car.

Take it for what its worth.

Everyone is recommending Abstract Ocean, but the best one is Spigen's EZ Fit Matte protector.

Literally no hassle installing the protector. Done in 1 minute. No lifting/matching up sides. Was a pleasure to install.
Looks pretty nice Spigens EZ Fit... thanks for that!
FWIW.. the Abstract Ocean Tempered Glass protector comes with an install frame too. Not quite as nice as the EZ Fit frame though. The most important part is the prep work is cleaning and removing any/all dust specs from the Tesla screen before laying down the protector. The AO kit comes with a couple of "dust grabber" taps to blot the screen after cleaning it. Any dust specs will cause a "blister" in the glass protector screen.

Looks pretty nice Spigens EZ Fit... thanks for that!
FWIW.. the Abstract Ocean Tempered Glass protector comes with an install frame too. Not quite as nice as the EZ Fit frame though. The most important part is the prep work is cleaning and removing any/all dust specs from the Tesla screen before laying down the protector. The AO kit comes with a couple of "dust grabber" taps to blot the screen after cleaning it. Any dust specs will cause a "blister" in the glass protector screen.
Spigen does too. I just left my Tesla one from factory on until I got my screen protector.

@VaxAce thanks for the warning! Do you remember if that was mentioned in regard to the regular (clear/glossy) version, or the "Anti-glare" matte version?

In my experience, I had no issues. I have Ray Ban polarized sunglasses and the anti-glare matte version. No issues whatsoever with the screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I still have the factory plastic protector on, just removed the white round label. Some opt for the matte screen protector to help with fingerprints and reflections, but I didn't feel a need for it yet.
I guess it depends on how fussy you are! I also still have the shipping protector on the screen- it looks perfectly fine and I'm sure it is a low tech relatively soft plastic film. When that it scuffed up I will take the protector off and figure the glass will last another 7-10 years.... There are some rare times when I wish it were not glossy- fleeting seconds...

No more superfluous that buying after market floor liners since the Model Y comes with front and rear floor mats. The Tesla screen is the heart of the UI. If the screen is damaged, i.e. scratched or cracked it will cost $1300 to replace. Spending 3% of the replacement cost to help protect the screen is not a lot of money for some protection. The matte screen protector really does reduce glare and does not show finger prints (a real annoyance on the Tesla screen.)

Reactions: Rshephorse
I recommend screen covers now.

My M3 got small scratches from microfiber cleaning with, I think, sandy dust. I live is a sandy area, and after a year of so, I got irritating scratch’s on the console.

Now both the M3 and MY have Abstract Ocean glass screen covers.

the screen cover on the M3 has mostly covered the small scratches so that I don’t see them in routine driving. They may still be visible, but I’m not looking that closely. It makes for a nicer drive now that the scratches are gone.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung