Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help deciding between Performance and Long Range Model 3?

Would you choose a Performance or Long Range Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving my LR AWD for two weeks now and despite the excitement of the new car I am now only flooring it maybe once a day and never more than two seconds (it is that fast!). If you can get a stealth performance then that is probably the best value of the model range (only $2k more for 25% faster 0-60 acceleration) but if you are not tracking the Model 3 then I'd say skip the Performance model.

Stealth was the Best Buy IMO. Not sure if it still is as I haven’t looked. I have never said “damn I wish my car was slower”. But I often have been heard saying “I needs moar powaaa”. So performance was the only option for me once my heart kicked in. In all seriousness I originally planned to get LR RWD. It was not avail when I bought. Never considered the LR AWD....figured if I was going to go to AWD I want the fast one. Stealth was also not avail when I bought. So it was all or none for me. I went for all. Now my brake calipers are pretty, and it matches my lipstick.

I wonder how this conversation has changed now that Acceleration Boost is available for the LR AWD and also the new grey 20" wheels on the performance.

Indeed interesting, more so with extra parts 'free' . For me, 20" wheels were and still are a non-starter. But as-fast-as-possible, even if just that little much more, was an emotional (potentially irrational :) ) consideration so that would still be my choice.

I plan to go with Long Range AWD with the Acceleration boost. This gives me all of the ride comfort of the LR with wheels and a tire profile more suited for L.A. county streets. The car will have great range and still be plenty quick. This option allows me to reduce the cost barrier to entry a bit too.

How bad are the roads over in USA??? Potholes and blown/busted tyres/wheels isn't a consideration for me over in Sydney. But now I am thinking maybe it should be... how fragile are the 20"s?

It’s a pretty big country we have over here, so I’m sure you will get different responses from different regions. But in general our cities and towns are known for having quite a few potholes. The 20” wheels are quite thin so they are more fragile than the beefy 18” wheels. That is why most people favor the Stealth models here. The 20” wheels looks nice but they just are not practical for a commuter car.

How bad are the roads over in USA??? Potholes and blown/busted tyres/wheels isn't a consideration for me over in Sydney. But now I am thinking maybe it should be... how fragile are the 20"s?
Depends on the state. Texas has some very good roads, Cali has some horrid roads. (This is based on my personal experiences.) The areas of Georgia I’ve been through we’re nice as well. New Mexico is mixed,

I drive 50 miles a day on my 20’s. That being said once the tires are worn out I will likely swap to aftermarket 18-19’s. (I don’t believe it will make a massive change in ride quality, but I’d like to see more brakes, and I’d like the wheels to weigh less.).

the 20’s aren’t fragile of pot holes aren’t an issue I wouldn’t worry.

My commute used to take me to Hollywood. Vine street is terrible for potholes, and when you ride a motorcycle like I do the penalty for getting it wrong is stiff. You can avoid potholes more easily on a bike (if you see them) but I would not want 20" wheels and low profile tires anywhere near there. Once you know the route you get a sense of which lanes are the worst, but by then some damage may already be done. So, my commute was not just informed by traffic but by potholes as well.

Reactions: jaykaye
Depends on the state. Texas has some very good roads, Cali has some horrid roads. (This is based on my personal experiences.) The areas of Georgia I’ve been through we’re nice as well. New Mexico is mixed,

I drive 50 miles a day on my 20’s. That being said once the tires are worn out I will likely swap to aftermarket 18-19’s. (I don’t believe it will make a massive change in ride quality, but I’d like to see more brakes, and I’d like the wheels to weigh less.).

the 20’s aren’t fragile of pot holes aren’t an issue I wouldn’t worry.

I've driven in Houston this week and it's riddled with pot holes that would sink a small car. It's atrocious the state of roads here (to say nothing of the driving)

I've driven in Houston this week and it's riddled with pot holes that would sink a small car. It's atrocious the state of roads here (to say nothing of the driving)
I’m referring to state owned roads and the state in general...not just one city. (Texas is a big place). Heck Houston is a big place. I was there a few months ago and had zero issues with the roads in my model 3 performance. It all depends where you are.

West Texas roads have gone to pot over the past 2-3 years due to the oil boom and a massive increase in heavy vehicle traffic. But the state as a whole takes good care of their roads IMO.there are exceptions to every rule.

Try to drive north/south up california for comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moded3
You should get the LR AWD unless you want Max acceleration and speed.

If you want Max acceleration and speed you now have the option of getting the regular performance that will look a like the LR AWD but the speed of a Performance but it won't have the same range.

I have a P3D+ and drive on some terrible roads regularly and have been fine. But, I also know the area and am cautious on roads I know are bad.

I first thought I’d get a LR AWD because I’m very conservative when it comes to spending, but my wife convinced me to get the performance because she knew I’d regret it if I didn’t. She was right and I’m really glad with my decision despite the increased cost.

Reactions: jimmym1981
I have the LR AWD. I don’t and will never have an interest in tracking the car. The car has been faster than I’ve ever needed it to be for the two months I’ve owned it. I really can’t imagine a moment where the performance speed would be a necessity. When I “launch” it is still excessively quick and makes most of my passengers queasy.

The LR AWD is the choice unless you are going to track the car or feel the need to be faster than cars you’ll never need to be faster than.