Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with road trip to Olympic Peninsula

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone taken their Model S to the Olympic Peninsula? My spouse and I want to stay near Forks, WA because it's close to the coast and rainforests, but there is a dearth of charging in that remote area. Our cabin is about 150 miles from Seattle, and we have a 85 kWh. We are staying for three nights and should be able to charge on a 5-15 at our location, but I'm not entirely sure whether the parking space is far enough to warrant the use of an extension cord. Now, I know Tesla says we should never use extension cords, but would it be dangerous on just your standard 110v, 15A household outlet?

There's also a clothes dryer, and I am wondering whether a heavy duty extension cord would work with that and the appropriate adapter. There's always the option of taking an ICE, but we'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. Any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
A heavy duty 110V 15A extension cord is part of my road trip armamentarium and I've used mine without problems (15 foot cord only though). I'm sure many will tell you they've used longer 15A cords as well. A homemade 10-30 to 14-50 adapter using a 14-50 outlet to 10-30 dryer cable is also part of my kit. Search this forum and you'll find plenty of tips, with warnings, on this. FlasherZ has provided tons of good advice on this topic. Also search for RV campgrounds (50 Amp service feature) near your destination. I use the Good Sam RV app on my iPhone.

If the UMC is long enough to reach the dryer outlet, that is the way I would go. You need to find out what the outlet is - probably 14-30, but maybe 10-30.
Here is some info on making adapters: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf
Also, ckeck out FlasherZ's FAQ here: FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA

Both 10-30 and 14-30 extension cords are available, Google them.

Remember, if you use a home made adapter, you must set the car to not draw more than 80% of the circuit breaker. Thirty Amp dryer outlet, 24 Amps.