Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need New Tires - 21" - What's Best?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I currently have a MS75 RWD with 21's staggered , air suspension, and currently running the factory Continental tires, and due for replacements. I have approximately 24k miles on these and they have been good tires, but I wanted to compare these to the Michelin Pilots that come standard on the P100D. A couple questions here:

1. Does this fall into the average lifespan of the 21's and can I expect more/less from the Michelins?
2. Which are quieter? Michelin or Continental? Others?
3. If you had the choice to do either, which would you choose? Financial difference aside.
4. Are there others that are better options for the Model S?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I currently have a MS75 RWD with 21's staggered , air suspension, and currently running the factory Continental tires, and due for replacements. I have approximately 24k miles on these and they have been good tires, but I wanted to compare these to the Michelin Pilots that come standard on the P100D. A couple questions here:

1. Does this fall into the average lifespan of the 21's and can I expect more/less from the Michelins?
2. Which are quieter? Michelin or Continental? Others?
3. If you had the choice to do either, which would you choose? Financial difference aside.
4. Are there others that are better options for the Model S?

Thanks!

I just replaced the 21" Turbines with Continental Sport Contact 5P - CSI "acoustic" tires with 21" Arachnids with Michelin Super Sport "acoustic" tires on my 2015 P85D+ (Plus Suspension). Only drove 20 miles so far and the noise level is similar... although I think the Michelins exhibit a little more noise over specific pavement / frequencies than the Contis.

I'd also driven a loaner P85+ a couple of months ago and the 21" Michelin Pilot Sport tires on it were LOUD. Couldn't wait to get my QUIET P85D+ back with it's VERY quiet Contis.

Super coincidental thread. I came here to post almost the exact same thing... good thing I RTFF (RTFM reference for those not paying attention :) )

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports in staggered 2(4)65/35ZR21 and after less than 20K, they are shot. Worn almost smooth. They've been loud tires since day one.

On my Z06, I used Nitto Invo's, but they don't seem to sell anything in Tesla sizes.

My choices seem to be: Falken Azenis FK510, Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Sport, Continental Sport Contact 5P CSI

I see dialog on this forum that the Continental's could be a good choice. I've been a Pirelli fan for many years.

I'll watch this thread for suggestions.

On another note: The factory Michelin's have a "30,000 miles manufacturer warranty" according to their webpage. Does this warranty include excessive wear? They seem to expect 30K out of this tire and I have threads showing on all four corners at less than 20K. People are quick to state that wear is not covered, but this is beyond wear, even according to the manufacturer.

Had an S85D with staggered wheels and factory Continentals. Put an additional two sets before selling it at 56k miles. The only reason I kept using Conti's is because of their "acoustic" advertising. My S100D came with Conti's as well but when I hit 23k miles I decided to switch to Michelin Pilot Sports. OMG what a night and day difference. The acoustic "benefit" Continental advertised is non-existent. The Michelins are no more noisy and possibly quieter. The biggest difference though is the forgiveness of the Michelins. Small potholes bumps etc are tremendously smoother with the Michelins. Like night and day better. Also there is a slightly larger lip at the edge where they connect to wheels. Enough more rubber there that there is definitely some added wheel rash damage protection from the Michelins. 100% sold on the Michelins now with 100k miles of Tesla Model S driving and having a lot of experience with both.

FWIW....
This am.
Discount Tire otd pricing: ContiSilents=$1524.04. Michelin Super Sport silent=$1515.40, which includes 30K mileage warranty.
Non silent versions about $100 less/tire.
Since 2013-with 2 MS..my preference has become Contis. Generally got 16-20% better mileage, and Michelin is difficult to work with regarding the mileage warranty. I run Michelin on ICE vehicles we own.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports in staggered 2(4)65/35ZR21 and after less than 20K, they are shot. Worn almost smooth. They've been loud tires since day one.

I'll watch this thread for suggestions.

On another note: The factory Michelin's have a "30,000 miles manufacturer warranty" according to their webpage. Does this warranty include excessive wear? They seem to expect 30K out of this tire and I have threads showing on all four corners at less than 20K. People are quick to state that wear is not covered, but this is beyond wear, even according to the manufacturer.

2 thoughts for you, Are you sure you have Pilot Super Sport Acoustic tires? To tell, there will be a small headphone logo next to the word Acoustic on the sidewall!! (EXAMPLE BELOW) I ask because some people think the Pilot Sport 2 tire is a Pilot Super Sport and the noise level between the two is quite drastic!! I think the 21" Pilot Super Sport Acoustic tire is quieter then the 19" Pilot Sport 3 Sumer tires and the 21" Pilot Sport 2 tires.
302491_5.JPG
michelin-acoustic-h345.jpg

Also something to keep in mind about tire / tread ware warranties, heres a quote from Michelin on staggered / split fitment tires....

"Some vehicles come from the vehicle manufacturer with split fitments meaning different size tires on the front and rear axles. Because these tires cannot be rotated as recommended by Michelin, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire design."

Meaning that 30K warranty on the Pilot Super Sport tires is only a 15K mileage warranty on a Staggered tire setup and a 20K warranty on the Pilot Sport 2 is only a 10k mileage warranty!

Last edited:
Are you sure you have Pilot Super Sport Acoustic tires? To tell, there will be a small headphone logo next to the word Acoustic on the sidewall!! (EXAMPLE BELOW)
Yes, I took a picture of the sidewalls and it clearly says Acoustic.

Meaning that 30K warranty on the Pilot Super Sport tires is only a 15K mileage warranty on a Staggered tire setup and a 20K warranty on the Pilot Sport 2 is only a 10k mileage warranty!
Well that's just great. So no chance there.

Maybe I'll just order Michelin's.

If it makes you feel any better. I went through two sets of pilot sport 2’s in 25k miles.
That’s what made me try out the Falkens.

Edit re reading your post, 2 sets of Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) in 25k miles is still very good for a staggered setup since Michelin only expects you to get 10K miles from a staggered set of PS2 tires!

Sounds like you got 12500 out of each set?! 2500 more miles then Michelin expected!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokerDon
I ordered my tires from Discount Tire Warehouse and found out that the rears are out of stock and will take 7-10 days to ship. I fear one of my rear tires is too worn to drive on. I can't be without my Tesla for 7-10 days. I'm driving my "farm truck" into town on errands and it isn't a very comfortable ride. I should install a battery pack in my MR2 conversion and drive it.

• Funny
Reactions: jpaz
Because of the shipping delay, I searched for local Michelin dealers expecting higher prices. I found a local dealer and they verified the acoustic symbol and their price was less expensive! Plus they can do the load force balancing and have them ready to install on Monday. I canceled my DTW order.