Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need P85D alignment help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I just got a new set of ContiSilent 21s to replace my original Goodyear PS2s (just a hair over 10k miles to reach 3/32" tread left btw). Amazingly, my local service center only carries the 245, not the rear 265 so they told me I can only have the PS2s, and if I bought the ContiSilent they wouldn't install them - only tires bought at the service center. So now I'm at the shop and at my request they check the alignment and tell me it's off. But the only spec in their machine (an up to date EagleEye) is Model S: Air Suspension (SU01) / Performance Plus (SU02/SUPP) : 2012-14

I've attached the alignment report.

Are these the right alignment specs for a P85D?

I tried calling the service center to at least to me if these guys were shooting for the right specs. To say they were unhelpful would be the understatement of the week. They wouldn't even tell me if the P85D alignment is different than the performance plus.

Can anybody let me know if I'm wildly off base?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 302
Not bad, but not optimal. (and also not symmetrical) Your rear camber is surprisingly good.

lolachampcar's recommended settings:
Front set to tesla specs
-0.70 Camber
3.55 Caster
-0.04 Toe

Rear set as follows
-1.10 Camber (fixed)
0.15 Toe

And both sides should be the same.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak and AndY1
Not just not optimal. That is way messed up. Your front toe is a huge positive number i.e. your front wheels are pointing inwards. The front total toe should be slightly negative so that it becomes 0 when torque sleep kicks in and pulls the cars forward by it's front wheels only.

The rear toe is hugely messed up. It should be between 0.30 and 0.50, not -.19. You will chew your tires up in no time. The rear camber is surprisingly good for not having your inner edge wear to cords, but it's aweful for handing and for fuel wh / mile(as is your front toe). Your front camber is also really bad for handling. Don't take any fast corners.

Your right caster shows the right front wheel is pushed back more than it should be...probably from hitting curb.

So it was on an alignment rack. Why wasn't the alignment done?

Here's my P85D after alignment:

20160518_081036.jpg

The alignment I showed in the opening question was before any adjustments were made. Here's the final I left the shop with. I'm not sure why they weren't able to adjust the front camber, but I understand the rear to be fixed. The car drives well and seems to hold true lines, so I'm not apt to spend another $200 at the Tesla Service center to have it done again unless you guys really think it'll make a huge difference. Thanks for posting back at me, BTW. It always freaks me out to have the car serviced by non-Tesla people.

TeslaAlignment.jpg

Attachments

• 20160521 - Tesla Alignment Post.pdf
    157.3 KB · Views: 148
The alignment I showed in the opening question was before any adjustments were made. Here's the final I left the shop with. I'm not sure why they weren't able to adjust the front camber, but I understand the rear to be fixed. The car drives well and seems to hold true lines, so I'm not apt to spend another $200 at the Tesla Service center to have it done again unless you guys really think it'll make a huge difference. Thanks for posting back at me, BTW. It always freaks me out to have the car serviced by non-Tesla people.

TeslaAlignment.jpg

The rear camber is not adjustable but the front is and they didn't adjust it. You should take it back and have them fix the front camber. It's dangerous to go around corners with any sort of speed with that much positive camber. As you load up the outside corner, the camber will go even more positive and you'll lose traction.