Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some advice on damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm contemplating buying this M3 with this damage, in which the seller has adjusted the price accordingly. I'm getting a great quote for the external damage repair for $800 but what worries me is what might be damaged underneath. Do you guys think this is just a easy fix?

The seller has adjusted the price about 3k - saying that a tesla approved body shop quoted her that much but a regular told her about 2k.

Attachments

• received_767660331558466.jpeg
    received_767660331558466.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I’m assuming the $800 is PDR (Paintless dent repair) it may be an easy fix but hard to know I have never looked in that area I know if that is the left side you have high voltage wiring in that fender as the plug is right above it.

with any repair Paintless or not be ready to have to get it painted as the act of popping the metal back out, can cause the paint to pop loose…

I'm contemplating buying this M3 with this damage, in which the seller has adjusted the price accordingly. I'm getting a great quote for the external damage repair for $800 but what worries me is what might be damaged underneath. Do you guys think this is just a easy fix?

This will be a very non-trivial PDR fix, if that's what you have been quoted.

If this goes into a body shop, expect the bill to total somewhere between $3-6K, and repairs to take 4-12 weeks.
There is a shortage of Tesla-approved body shops, and the few that exist take advantage of the situation by charging exorbitant rates and surcharges.

The seller has adjusted the price about 3k - saying that a tesla approved body shop quoted her that much but a regular told her about 2k.

Dealing with Tesla-approved body shops is a royal PITA. Frankly, I would avoid this "deal", since all initial estimates are notoriously low-balled just to get the car into the work-queue.
Unless you can find a reputable PDR (paintless dent repair) guy who is willing to commit to fixing this dent, I would expect to LOOSE money on a $3K "discount" when buying a car with this dent.

HTH,
a

My left rear quarter panel is being repaired right now, full replacement, and you don't want to know what this is costing the insurance company.

If this dent can be repaired without replacement maybe it won't cost all that much. Maybe 3k would cover it, maybe not.

Left Rear QP (cut out, weld in new one, repaint) was between $10K and $11K for me on a 2014 Model S. This was back in 2018, before all the inflouging that's been going on recently.

For that price, however, they did excellent work. Paint was matched perfectly and it was impossible to tell the QP had been replaced without opening the hatch to look at the weld seam.