Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some buying advice...current owner debating upgrade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone.

I was hoping that I could get some advice as Im having a bit of a dilemma.

Im in Canada, and late last year purchased a 2014 CPO S85 that currently has 73000 km, with pano and subzero. My intention was to drive it until the release of the Model 3 (which in Canada is now late 2018), as Im a first day reservation holder.

I've now completely fallen in love with my MS, an have been tinkering with the idea of getting a newer facelift MS with AP and the updated seats. I've spoken to the dealer on a number of occasions about it.

As of this week, due to the currency exchange, Tesla has dropped the price of the new Model S in Canada by nearly $6500. When I couple that with the new standard Air Suspension, speed update, standard glass roof, etc, this is getting more enticing.

Also, in Ontario, there is a government rebate of $14000, and obviously the referral discount.

I went to the dealer today to reassess a purchase given the new price adjustment and standard options. My budget would allow for a new base 75 RWD, with the colour option I want, and AP enabled. After I factor in the $15k green rebate, and the price adjustment, the monthly cost is nearly exactly the same as my 2014, if I extend the amortization by a year longer.

I'd be getting a car with zero mileage, albeit base, but the options that I want are in it...Air suspension, glass roof, AP 2.0

I feel like I have a finite window here, as my instinct is that the government rebate will have expired by the time the M3 is available, and think the Canadian / USD currency exchange issue is probably temporary as well. If I factor both of these pieces, its a price adjustment of almost $20000, which puts it pretty close to the same cost of the M3.

In your opinion is it worth the extra $$$ to upgrade from the 2014 to a new '17, despite it not being as equipped? or should I stick with the plan for the M3 next year. What am I missing here?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks for the help.

Guessing you don't have AP? Is the upgrade worth it? Hell yes it is!
Not just AP but otherwise too.

I'll add two more reasons.
  1. USD is going to rise against CAD over the next 1-2 years, and not only will the rebate go away, your MS/M3 base price will go higher (only currency fluctuation, of course Tesla will introduce newer features).
  2. Your driving age is around 50 years of your life, assuming heart attacks/cancer etc. don't get you first. Enjoy what you can today.
Now you just need to make sure to use my referral code.

You say the cost to you is the same if you amortize over one more year (that seems very conservative). If that is the case and the new S has the options you want, I don't see how you can go wrong upgrading. The danger is that you wait, the currency and tax rebates turn against you, and you end up spending just as much on a Model 3. Unless you prefer a smaller vehicle, that doesn't seem like a risk worth taking. A risk you did not mention is the possibility that Tesla significantly upgrades the S in the near future, leaving you with an old generation S and unable to upgrade in the short term. Personally, I think a more significant upgrade is still a ways off, but there is plenty of speculation about this in the forums.

You say the cost to you is the same if you amortize over one more year (that seems very conservative). If that is the case and the new S has the options you want, I don't see how you can go wrong upgrading. The danger is that you wait, the currency and tax rebates turn against you, and you end up spending just as much on a Model 3. Unless you prefer a smaller vehicle, that doesn't seem like a risk worth taking. A risk you did not mention is the possibility that Tesla significantly upgrades the S in the near future, leaving you with an old generation S and unable to upgrade in the short term. Personally, I think a more significant upgrade is still a ways off, but there is plenty of speculation about this in the forums.

I’ve already decided I’m getting a new Tesla in 3 years, so I decided to lease. I’ve done the calculations and it’s only roughly $2k more over 36 months with a guarantee that I don’t have to worry about the resale value at the end of 36 months.

Of course I don’t know how rebates are done in Canada versus the tax credit in the US that ends up helping lower the monthly payment.

I’ve already decided I’m getting a new Tesla in 3 years, so I decided to lease. I’ve done the calculations and it’s only roughly $2k more over 36 months with a guarantee that I don’t have to worry about the resale value at the end of 36 months.

Of course I don’t know how rebates are done in Canada versus the tax credit in the US that ends up helping lower the monthly payment.
Enjoy!

Going through the same indecision:

Have a 2016 90D , pre facelift, AP1.0, textile seats, no centre console, no rear passenger cup holders, no air suspension but has pano, sub zero package, premium and hi def Mileage: 27k

New 75D now has same acceleration, facelift, AP2, better seats, centre console,air suspension incl., glass roof, premium/sub zero and hidef, 0 mileage.

Only diff between both now is 453km vs 416km range. 90% of our driving is city and about 70-100km a day, so our range seldom drops below 300km even leaving with a 90% charge. So I'd essentially be trading some range for the new features, new look, 1 yr extra warranty and AP2 (which I've heard is hit and miss on par with AP1)

Upgrading I get the 14.5k rebate, 1.4k referral...my monthly cost would be similar if not less with 1 added year of amortization. So I'd be at zero down effectively.

Arghhh....dilemma is thinking about what interior refresh Tesla may come up with on the S as soon as M3 starts shipping.

Last edited:
that is literally the same situation I'm in, however my car is quite a bit older. In my case, the range of my 85 is 420 km, so Id only be dropping by a marginal amount.

Im also worried about the Model S upgrade, but my instinct is that Tesla's style seems to be more about gradual change, versus an overhaul. They just seem to organically evolve, with new features, seats, upgrades being added, versus abrupt moves.