Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to make a decision on Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some friendly advice here, I put a deposit down on a 2013 model S 60 kWh Vin in the 26XXX range. I later found one that suited my requirements a little more and is loaded! Its my first choice for color and is an 85 kWh. Solid black which I put my deposit down was my 4th choice.

For my needs the 60 kWh would do just fine, have the bigger battery with extra range would be great to have and take advantage when needed.

My dilemma: Do I take a chance on the earlier Model S for $2,500 more which had damage in the past (including losing my deposit, money is not the issue just here for perspective) or stick with the solid black S 60.

I'm most hesitant about it being an early model Vin based on some of the issues others have had. Is it fare to assume the car should be fine, since it was under warranty and any issues should have been fixed. This is also a CPO so anything else that may have lingered should be addressed as well.

CPO 2013 Model S 60 - P26XXX- told record on this car is clean
53,xxx miles
19" Base Wheels
Solid Black
Tan Nappa Leather w/Piano Black
Tech Package (later 2013 model so this one has folding mirrors)
Pano Roof

CPO 2013 Model S 85 - P12XXX - told this one had front and rear bumper replaced (probably due to an accident)
63,XXX miles
19" Base Wheels
Metallic Gray
Tan Leather
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor - Looks great, would be nice to have
Pano Roof
Tech Package
Sound Studio Package - Nice to have (although I read some have not noticed a difference)
Active Air Suspension - Nice to have
Twin Chargers - Not a requirement but if had it would absolutely install a Wall Charger to take advantage of the faster charging.

You probably know this but: 2013 S 60's have a 60 kWh battery that is NOT upgradable. This would probably mean that the battery is now hovering around 200 mi or less range. The S85 should probably still be in the 260-250 range. Something to consider. Also, resale value will probably be a little higher on the 85 since the 60 will be degrading below the 200 mark which seems like a standard for EVs in people's mind. So purely based on that, I would not get the 60.

Try to find out what happened to the 85 first, but if the additional features on the 85 are all "nice to have" and you're confident that the range of a used 60 in MN weather is enough for your driving needs (cold weather has a significant impact on range), then I would stick with a clean car.

Re. options: as you indicated, the sound studio package is not that much of an improvement. In addition, if you can live with a 60, I am assuming you would not benefit from the dual charger much? (and remember that you need a panel strong enough to handle it too.)

YMMV.

Personally I would go for biggest battery you can afford with the most extras so that it retaisn "saleability" in the future. I bought a 2½ year old P85 3 months ago and it gets 235 miles on a full charge which is ok. I have noticed that smaller battery cars have been reduced in prices since I got mine as more second hand ones become available. At end of day it comes down to how much u want to spend.

Thanks @hmmm when we built our home last year, we knew we were getting EV's so had a 200AMP sub panel put into the garage.

Good point about dual charger though, and agree I most likely wouldn't benefit from it. Cold weather here is something I worry about with range.

Thanks @hmmm when we built our home last year, we knew we were getting EV's so had a 200AMP sub panel put into the garage.

Good point about dual charger though, and agree I most likely wouldn't benefit from it. Cold weather here is something I worry about with range.

Expect a large drop in range due to cold weather. You probably won't get much more than 150-160 out of the 2013 Model S 60...

In cold MN weather where it can get close to zero and below for majority of the winter, what are most people seeing in terms of drop in range? 30% reduced? More?

I don't live in MN, but from what I've read it can be more than 30% range loss in cold like that depending on how you drive. If you fully preheat while plugged in before you leave anywhere and don't use the heater (rely on seat warmers and/or blankets, etc.) you might get it down below the 30% loss but probably not by much.

I would not worry about the VIN. Our P85 is in the 9xxx sequence and we have had no issues. No squeaks or rattles. We purchased it with 19K miles and it now has close to 40K. Whichever car you choose, make sure you do a complete inspection upon delivery and document any issues on a Due Bill. Ask them to charge the battery to 100% for whichever car you choose so you will level set expectations.

Looking for some friendly advice here, I put a deposit down on a 2013 model S 60 kWh Vin in the 26XXX range. I later found one that suited my requirements a little more and is loaded! Its my first choice for color and is an 85 kWh. Solid black which I put my deposit down was my 4th choice.

For my needs the 60 kWh would do just fine, have the bigger battery with extra range would be great to have and take advantage when needed.

My dilemma: Do I take a chance on the earlier Model S for $2,500 more which had damage in the past (including losing my deposit, money is not the issue just here for perspective) or stick with the solid black S 60.

I'm most hesitant about it being an early model Vin based on some of the issues others have had. Is it fare to assume the car should be fine, since it was under warranty and any issues should have been fixed. This is also a CPO so anything else that may have lingered should be addressed as well.

CPO 2013 Model S 60 - P26XXX- told record on this car is clean
53,xxx miles
19" Base Wheels
Solid Black
Tan Nappa Leather w/Piano Black
Tech Package (later 2013 model so this one has folding mirrors)
Pano Roof

CPO 2013 Model S 85 - P12XXX - told this one had front and rear bumper replaced (probably due to an accident)
63,XXX miles
19" Base Wheels
Metallic Gray
Tan Leather
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor - Looks great, would be nice to have
Pano Roof
Tech Package
Sound Studio Package - Nice to have (although I read some have not noticed a difference)
Active Air Suspension - Nice to have
Twin Chargers - Not a requirement but if had it would absolutely install a Wall Charger to take advantage of the faster charging.

P12xxx, won't have parking sensors. Drive one with the imagine one without it. If you park in a garage, you will wish you had parking sensors. Been there.
And since you commented about folding mirrors, the P26XXX can be retrofitted with folding mirrors. That VIN has the harness already installed. Cost would be about $ 1200 with labor.

For $5000, yes, the SC will do it. :)
s00nr1 is correct. Its actually a little less than that, but not much. I've seen it done twice and the receipts. It requires replacing both bumpers too. You have to ask yourself, if its worth that, considering that $5,000 will bring you closer to a newer car with more options already installed.

One more thing. Many service centers don't want to do it. Its not a common thing. Ask yours if they have done one. I bet the answer is no. Ours has done two. They don't like doing it, if they can avoid it.

Are you in a hurry to buy a car? I know you have the deposit and need to do something quickly on that car. But wondering if you're considering the P85 with damage and are concerned about it, if you aren't jumping into it because you're feeling some time pressure here. I do think the point of cold weather battery loss is valid but that really depends on where and how far you typically drive and if you will be charging at home each night (assume you are). I kind of wonder if you shouldn't also consider waiting for a higher capacity battery model with no damage.

Reactions: b team and Akikiki