Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Needed to cancel on Roadster 2020 Founder's Edition.

Any others had a similar experience in the extremely cold temperatures?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I had paid in 100% for the 2020 Roadster FE in the first few days of January 2018, I had to make the decision to cancel with Tesla, and request a return of my FE Reservation 250k. They were pleasant about it and stated they would arrange for it. My older sister 900 miles away has MS, and announced that she needed help to pay for her daily caregiver. Just my momentary flash of resentment of her request made me feel serious guilt.

Knowing that I was awaiting a quick automotive thrill to improve over my P85D, I had to make the right decision. As much as reaching for that automotive nirvana meant to me, I was ashamed of myself for the indulgence in reserving one. I chose not to delay, and to send my request for the FE refund. Some have speculated that Tesla Motors is using the 2020 Roadster reservation dollars like a "Kickstarter". I feel confident that years from now we all will look back at what Tesla Motors has done for the world, and appreciate that we were there to witness it as it unfolded. Yes, they are behind in the TM3 production, but what they have triggered in the automotive industry is probably unstoppable.

On a different topic: We had some very cold temperatures the first few days of January, down to -20 degrees F. My ICE powered cars were stopped dead, two with warranty PCM failures, a 3rd (2016 XC90) was towed to the Volvo dealership, not with a battery issue, but with a mystery problem in the very cold temperatures. Ironically, the only vehicle I could take off my property was the P85D, but even with reduced range, it just felt right. That evening after I had used it for the day, I plugged it into my outdoor 50A welding outlet, set the camping mode at 60 F, spread a moving blanket over the roof and glass, and kept it warm that night.

So sorry to hear this, but glad they could easily work it out. I’m so glad your P85 D works so well! My sister lives up near Glacier in Montana and I took my X up last March with multiple snow storms and cold temps. It was amazing!

I'm in Montana right now and given the number of ICE vehicles on the road, and the absence of any Teslas, I'm going to guess that your ICE/cold weather issue is an anomaly. I drove my truck from Bozeman to north of White Sulphur Springs, got it stuck in deep snow, got it unstuck a few days later and it still had over half a tank of gas, and never even hesitated to start on the first turn of the key. Lot to be said for a vehicle that will get you 600+ miles of range in below freezing/heavy snow conditions.

• Disagree
Reactions: planx and Troy
Don't worry OP. My brother and I barely speak to each other. He thinks I'm an idiot, and I think he's an arrogant ...

Yet if he needed something from me, I'd drop everything to try and make it happen.

You're a good brother. Blood is more important than mundane things like cars.

As for ICE cars, I got a new "cold start" battery last year. I plug in my car's block heater, and it starts no probem. Even when it was -36C.

Although I had paid in 100% for the 2020 Roadster FE in the first few days of January 2018, I had to make the decision to cancel with Tesla, and request a return of my FE Reservation 250k. They were pleasant about it and stated they would arrange for it. My older sister 900 miles away has MS, and announced that she needed help to pay for her daily caregiver. Just my momentary flash of resentment of her request made me feel serious guilt.

Knowing that I was awaiting a quick automotive thrill to improve over my P85D, I had to make the right decision. As much as reaching for that automotive nirvana meant to me, I was ashamed of myself for the indulgence in reserving one. I chose not to delay, and to send my request for the FE refund. Some have speculated that Tesla Motors is using the 2020 Roadster reservation dollars like a "Kickstarter". I feel confident that years from now we all will look back at what Tesla Motors has done for the world, and appreciate that we were there to witness it as it unfolded. Yes, they are behind in the TM3 production, but what they have triggered in the automotive industry is probably unstoppable.

On a different topic: We had some very cold temperatures the first few days of January, down to -20 degrees F. My ICE powered cars were stopped dead, two with warranty PCM failures, a 3rd (2016 XC90) was towed to the Volvo dealership, not with a battery issue, but with a mystery problem in the very cold temperatures. Ironically, the only vehicle I could take off my property was the P85D, but even with reduced range, it just felt right. That evening after I had used it for the day, I plugged it into my outdoor 50A welding outlet, set the camping mode at 60 F, spread a moving blanket over the roof and glass, and kept it warm that night.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Good for you helping with your family. In the long run (or in this case the immediate time) the people close to you are what's important. I'm in the same boat as you....converting portions of my house to be handicap friendly and the roadster will be a few years down the road in any case....

Have you reordered as a standard reservation?