Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Needs more Bumper protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After looking closely at the front and the rear of the car there is an obvious lack of bumper protection at either end.

Though it looks good as a show car the slightest tap in the rear will result in lower edge hatch damage or springing of the entire hatch frame not to mention both rear quarter panels.

The front has only direct centered impact protection and the hood and grille area would be trashed either way.

The car is beautiful and actually practical but wouldn't last a day in an every day environment without better front and rear impact protection.

I'd gladly sacrifice a little glitz for at least some investment protection (real bumpers).

Model S I assume. This is the Model S forum.

I said the same thing a while back when I first saw the Model S teaser shots.
Keep in mind that the car being shown now isn't the final version. The bumpers could be changed for production.

And also keep in mind that TM has said that Model S will meet all requirements for a 5 star crash rating.

Sort of what I meant. The prototype, the clay mockup, the extreior design thing, at this point they are all fantasies. Most cars go through bumper-itis when they finally come out. The ones you are looking at have not even been number crunched though crash simulation software, let alone a real crash ready vehicle. That's the car to comment on.

Lots of bumpers going on here...

jaguar-xf-picture.jpg

Rapide_150409_bdecfb78-2759-466c-a3fe-11156ea8306c.jpg

maserati-quattroporte-collezione-cento.jpg

...not.

I presume they are crash tested (well, currently 2 of them anyway).

Things have been different in Europe, although they are "relaxing" over here now too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumper_(automobile)
...Some automakers chose to provide stronger Canadian-specification bumpers throughout the North American market...
I guess some of us assume large bumpers in USA because of the old North American "5 mph no damage" rules. Apparently those rules are being relaxed now, so big bumpers aren't required anymore.

Canada to bring vehicle bumper standards in line with U.S.A, Europe

The following photo shows an example Benz with the European bumper above, and the required add-on North American bumper below:
mb-w116-detail.jpg

After looking closely at the front and the rear of the car there is an obvious lack of bumper protection at either end.

The last two "accidents" I've had were tail ending a car on the freeway (cut in front, hit brakes), who had his car's rear jacked up, and who's exhaust pipe barely scratched the top of the bumper while the rest of the car took out my radiator, AC, hood, etc., and a parking lot rear end to rear end with a Silverado. His truck bumper hit me square in the back door of my EV, never even got close to the bumper. Fat lot of good these bumpers do, unless we make laws that require ALL cars to have same height same width protection. You know how that will go.
I still think the best bet is to avoid accidents, but that is soooo hard when you are driving a hot car.

I wish I could find a picture of those huge 80's bumpers on the Countachs. Ugly as sin.

Lamborghini Countach LP112D26 25th Anniversario
...The nose of the Countach was raised a little and received an updated front bumper. The US cars still had to have the ugly 5mph bumpers installed. The bumper of the Euro version was deffinitely more attractive and many US car had these installed after the cars passed inspection. ...
Euro vs US:
b-dron.jpg
b-consumerguide2.jpg

Euro vs US:
lamborghini-countach-1-1-s.jpg
86416.jpg

(And that US one doesn't even have the bumper 'warts' they put on some cars)

Last edited:
Exemplary work as always TEG. That last image of the white one was my memory of an abomination.

Ah the X1-9
As designed
x19proto.GIF

The later US bumper looked much better

bert1b.gif

Stripped for racing
IMG_0820.JPG

Another car (when properly turbocharged) that gave that "smile" we have discussed here.