Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-30 to 14-50 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have L2 charging installed at my house yet but do have my dryer outlet accessible. It is nema 14-30.

Has anyone used one of these adapters for charging and knows if they are safe?

I’d prefer to not swap out the outlet and change my dryer cord, but will if necessary.

In general I do not use adapters like this because they tend to get hot and can become fire hazards, but that’s more in the context of 120 Adapters with things like heaters (even if the adapter is rated for the wattage). I don’t have experience using higher amp adapters.

Attachments

• F9E4561D-04D2-4FC5-9629-3F3097FE1CC2.jpeg
    F9E4561D-04D2-4FC5-9629-3F3097FE1CC2.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 475
Why would you not buy the correct 14-30 adapter for your mobile connector instead of an extension cord adapter hack?

The problem with that adapter is if you have the 14-50 plug on the mobile connector, it will signal to the car that it’s safe to draw up to 32 amps. Your 14-30 should not be used to supply more than 24 amps, and if you use the proper adapter for your mobile connector that will be enforced automatically. You can manually dial down the amperage in the car, but it’s not fool-proof and can revert to default settings without warning.

Last edited:
Why would you not buy the correct 14-30 adapter for your mobile connector instead of an extension cord adapter hack?

Agreed. Just buy the official 14-30 adapter from Tesla for the UMC. It’s better because then the UMC automatically limits itself to 30 amps.

With a conversion pigtail adapter the UMC will still think it’s connected to a 50 amp outlet and you’ll have to limit the amperage in the cars software, which may not be as reliable and could reset itself for unseen reasons and trip your breaker.

The problem with that adapter is if you have the 14-50 plug on the mobile connector, it will signal to the car that it’s safe to draw up to 32 amps. Your 14-30 should not be used to supply more than 24 amps, and if you use the proper adapter for your mobile connector that will be enforced automatically. You can manually dial down the amperage in the car, but it’s not fool-proof and can revert to default settings without warning.
Had. I idea this was available. Searched the site and didn’t see it. The Tesla shop search kinda sucks

Thanks. Ordered.

Plugging and unplugging your dryer and your car cable will get old after a time. Consider the convenience of a Tesla Wall charger. It can be hooked up to a 60 Amp breaker switch and provide 47 or 48 Amps at 240V. The convenience of this setup is a very good thing. Yes, it costs about $700 plus paying your electrician, but many find it worthwhile.
I’m in the process of doing this. Unfortunately it involves an upgraded panel and new meter….. there goes my gas savings for the next five years! 🤣😫

I'd be concerned about the "dryer" outlet being energized for the consecutive hours required to charge an EV, compared to the intermittent draw of a clothes dryer.

Plugging/unplugging (terribly inconvenient) is going to wear the plugs out quickly. This is a known risk.

Sorry, quick and dirty solutions are...quick...and dirty. Please be careful.

I'd be concerned about the "dryer" outlet being energized for the consecutive hours required to charge an EV, compared to the intermittent draw of a clothes dryer.

This is not a concern from an electrical perspective as the line and the outlet are rated for continuous draw. It’s simply a 240v 30amp outlet which I’ve now learned Tesla makes an adapter for. 😎

Plugging/unplugging (terribly inconvenient) is going to wear the plugs out quickly. This is a known risk.

This is an issue for sure. Frequently unplugging over time loosens the connection of any outlet and increases resistance which then creates heat and can start fires. Space heater to power strip to outlet is all too common and all too dangerous.

Reactions: Ampster
This is what I use to charge my car from dryer outlet safely. My electrical panel is maxed out so a wired wall connector is not feasible without spending thousands of dollars. This only cost me $300 and has been working great for me. There’s a few other brands out there for slightly more money but not sure if those are worth the higher price. SPLITVOLT NEMA 10-30 SWITCH SPS - Splitvolt Splitvolt

Reactions: Zalick
This is what I use to charge my car from dryer outlet safely. My electrical panel is maxed out so a wired wall connector is not feasible without spending thousands of dollars. This only cost me $300 and has been working great for me. There’s a few other brands out there for slightly more money but not sure if those are worth the higher price. SPLITVOLT NEMA 10-30 SWITCH SPS - Splitvolt Splitvolt

I’m in the same boat. $6,000 to upgrade the panel/meter just to get dedicated charging in garage. Ugh

Especially tough decision because 90% of the time my 110v giving me 40 miles overnight is just fine. But when it isn’t, kind of a pain.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
I’m in the same boat. $6,000 to upgrade the panel/meter just to get dedicated charging in garage. Ugh

Especially tough decision because 90% of the time my 110v giving me 40 miles overnight is just fine. But when it isn’t, kind of a pain.
Well, using a 110-120V socket is costing you money in the sense that the car's computer (150-300W) is continuously on during charging. So if you're only charging at 1320-1440W, that's (1) A pretty high percentage of the total power coming out of the outlet that just goes toward running the computer and (2) This setup, because it delivers such a low power level requires you to charge for many times longer than a 220-240V setup, and thus the computer wastes even more energy. It's way more efficient to charge quickly and then let the car sleep.
Did you get a quote?
$6K sounds like too much!
That sounds about right. My service upgrade was around $15k, $7k of which was digging the trench and the rest was installation of the panels (yes, plural, because it's a 400A service) and wiring. $6k sounds like you're not dealing with any underground service lines. Be glad you aren't because that will easily double the cost.

My electrical panel is maxed out so a wired wall connector is not feasible without spending thousands of dollars.
I don't understand a panel being maxed out unless it is a 100 Amp Zinsco like mine was. Even then, was still able to hook up a temporary 14-50 outlet. I upgraded the panel as part of a solar installation later. I would get another opinion or another electrician.
On an other note I did hook up a Dryer Buddy for my nephew who bough a used MX and it works well for him. The dryer outlet is is the garage but his main panel is on the other side of the house with no simple path for a new circuit.

This is an issue for sure. Frequently unplugging over time loosens the connection of any outlet and increases resistance which then creates heat and can start fires.
I have succesfully used a Dryer Buddy and a NeoCharge to use dryer outlets to power both a dryer and a 14-30 mobile connector. Those devices switch between devices so the outlet can be shared.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Had. I idea this was available. Searched the site and didn’t see it. The Tesla shop search kinda sucks

Thanks. Ordered.
You can also often pick them up at a Tesla showroom if you don’t have time to wait for shipping.

I did this when we were going to go on a camping trip - unfortunately the 30 amp plug at campground is not the NEMA 6-30 or 14-30 (learned the hard way).