Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 hoarders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this allowed by Tesla? Do they not know that their product is constantly sold out because this ebayer consistently buys out all stock as soon as it hits Tesla’s site, then marks up on ebay?
So frustrating

Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 Adapter for Tesla Model 3 NEW NEVER USED | eBay

Don't know about before, but Tesla is now limiting purchases to just 2 adapters. This guy must have bought these before the limitation, or is getting them direct from Tesla in bulk, which would mean Tesla is probably ok with people reselling them.

However, I would think it's hard to be a true baller by selling 14-50 adapters for a small profit.

Just sign up for the notification when they are in stock, and buy 2 when you only need one, and then sell the other on eBay. If you can't beat, join them!

Same with the Chademo adapter.
Hmmm - supply & demand ... maybe a good time to offer mine up & make a boatload ?

chadmo2017-11-08.jpg

:D

A 6-50 is commonly used for welding gear. It is perfectly fine in new construction when a neutral connection is not needed. The ones that are obsolete are the 10-series (e.g., 10-30 and 10-50). No safety ground connection. The 10-series have not been legal for new construction since 1996.
And as it happens 10-30s are out of stock but 14-30s are not. Guess which one I recommend?

How is this allowed by Tesla? Do they not know that their product is constantly sold out because this ebayer consistently buys out all stock as soon as it hits Tesla’s site, then marks up on ebay?
So frustrating

Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 Adapter for Tesla Model 3 NEW NEVER USED | eBay

If you look at the list sold by this e-Bay user 1320performancefreak you can notice under the OP e-Bay posting link
that 288 NEMA plugs have been sold at a price of $60 since March 10, at a profit of at least $25 each or an estimated total of $7,200

There is also an additional $10 shipping, while Tesla includes the shipping, so the e-Bay user would pay $70 for the initial $35 Tesla price.

The retail store 1320 Performance (1320 stand for a quarter of mile) is located in Elk Grove, CA.
This store is specialized in car parts, so they could have bought the plugs from the original Tesla supplier and not the Tesla Shop,

However having the Tesla Shop getting constantly out of stock for such items, which are quite necessary
and used to be included with the car purchase, is more than frustrating for new owners.

E-Bay should have a policy like Amazon Marketplace Fair Pricing Policy - Amazon Seller Central
Amazon mentioned a 10 % price increase as acceptable, or $3.50 in the above case

I hope that the limit of 2 items by order will limit those out of stock issues, created by some unscrupulous merchants.

The adapter you describe will not provide any voltage across the two hots on the 14-50 that are used for EV charging.
Even if re-wired, it would not set the max current correctly.
For TT-30, it is best to get a proper UMC adapter (e.g., from evseadapters) that also automatically sets the current to 24 amps max.
This EVSE adapter NEMA 14-50 (female) to NEMA TT-30 125 V (male) is available from HomeDepot and ESVEadapters for $35.

However, the Tesla UMC NEMA 14-50 would limit the current to 40 A, and not 24 A.

So, you will need to set manually the 24 A on the car display when using such adapter,
unless you can find or make a NEMA 14-30 (Female) to NEMA 14-50 (male) adapter and use a Tesla UMC NEMA 14-30.

gray-ac-works-plug-adapters-evtt30ms-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
This EVSE adapter NEMA 14-50 (female) to NEMA TT-30 125 V (male) is available from HomeDepot and ESVEadapters for $35.

However, the Tesla UMC NEMA 14-50 would limit the current to 40 A, and not 24 A.

So, you will need to set manually the 24 A on the car display when using such adapter,
unless you can find or make a NEMA 14-30 (Female) to NEMA 14-50 (male) adapter and use a Tesla UMC NEMA 14-30.

gray-ac-works-plug-adapters-evtt30ms-64_1000.jpg
I just set the current to 24 amps on my charging screen when using my TT-30 adapter (did that at a campground just last week).

However, evseadapters.com now makes a TT-30 adapter for the Gen 2 MC that will automatically set the current to 24 amps:
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters
Currently $69.

Some state park campgrounds, as well as many RV parks in Canada, are limited to "30 amp" (TT-30, the "TT" refers to "Travel Trailer") service.

For those of us who like to camp in our Teslas, a 14-50 adapter and a TT-30 adapter are helpful to have.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Why use the HPWC...

The beautiful thing about TMC, if you ask a question you'll usually get an answer:
(Typically not in the same post, but everyone works differently...)

...UMCs...fail...

Maybe not so much as back in the day of the 40A UMC fire hazards (I kid), but a) because UMCs often operate at their rated limit vs reduced levels on HPWCs (which, even since back in the day, are usually strapped to 50A circuits and thus capped to 40A charging) and b) the sensitive bits are generally handled more often than wall chargers, UMCs are simply more prone to failure than wall chargers.

Availability aside, wall chargers are currently $500 and mobile chargers are $275. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to most people to follow your advice and buy a spare mobile charger under the pretense that one of them will fail, ostensibly requiring a second $275 purchase.

However, evseadapters.com now makes a TT-30 adapter for the Gen 2 MC that will automatically set the current to 24 amps:
Currently $69.

Some state park campgrounds, as well as many RV parks in Canada, are limited to "30 amp" (TT-30, the "TT" refers to "Travel Trailer") service.

For those of us who like to camp in our Teslas, a 14-50 adapter and a TT-30 adapter are helpful to have.

I also have the evseadapters TT-30 UMC adapter, and use it a lot. If Tesla were to poll me on what one additional adapter they should offer, I would vote for TT-30.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
And as it happens 10-30s are out of stock but 14-30s are not. Guess which one I recommend?

The only difference between a 14-30 plug and a 14-50 plug is the shape of the (unused for EV charging) neutral blade. So as an interim 14-50 solution, one could order the 14-30 adapter and grind off the neutral blade - so that it can plug into either a 14-30 or a 14-50 (or even the very rare 14-60) receptacle. Since it is a 30 amp adapter, current would be limited to 24 amps in any case.

I just set the current to 24 amps on my charging screen when using my TT-30 adapter (did that at a campground just last week).

Currently $69.

Thank you for sharing the information, I did earlier check For Tesla Model S, Model 3, Model X, & Model Y Gen 2 UMC – EVSE Adapters

but I didn't noticed the special Tesla Gen 2 TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

- I consider getting it to avoid any risk of triggering a breaker or a fuse in middle of the night.

Note: I found this older thread which could be of some interest when travelling:

63d244ba-e475-4846-9c5f-d5a66d417896-jpeg.369741

Last edited:
The only difference between a 14-30 plug and a 14-50 plug is the shape of the (unused for EV charging) neutral blade. So as an interim 14-50 solution, one could order the 14-30 adapter and grind off the neutral blade - so that it can plug into either a 14-30 or a 14-50 (or even the very rare 14-60) receptacle. Since it is a 30 amp adapter, current would be limited to 24 amps in any case.
I was about to suggest that for TT-30 use when I did a search and found that evseadapters.com made a TT-30 adapter that is ready to go with a Gen 2 MC. A 14-30 modified in that way would work with other 30 amp adapters that had a 14-50 female end but, except for older TT-30 adapters, such as mine, I can't think of much of a use case, except as a substitute for when the 14-50 is out of stock, as you suggest.

I have a DIY 10-30 adapter that I made from a clothes dryer cord (purchased from a Habitat for Humanity thrift store) but my parents moved, so I no longer have need of it. Plugging that into a modified 14-30 was something I considered but it was an extra expense and setting the current on the charge screen is easy and sticky: the car remembers the amp setting at a given location.