Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 hoarders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem.

Why install a 14-50 failure magnet when a Wall Connector is so much better every way you slice it.

I know, I know you’ll never get it.
With my commute, I have no need for the higher charging rate the $500 wall connector provides. My needs are in line with what the mobile connector provides when on 240volts

With my commute, I have no need for the higher charging rate the $500 wall connector provides. My needs are in line with what the mobile connector provides when on 240volts

It is not just about daily charge rate. It is about having a backup charging solution, maybe accounting for emergencies or quick turnarounds on a vacation week.

Not saying everyone has to have a wall connector but the "good enough for my daily commute" argument for just using the included UMC is extraordinary narrow minded.

Maybe some folks have a neighbor that will share a connection or a close local L2 or supercharger in case the UMC fails or is lost or stolen some other backup plan. For me though buying a wall connector made the UMC a backup charging solution, and some vacations and a family emergency requiring fastest possible charging at home are why the $500 was a easy choice for me.
There is more to life than my 7 mile drive to work.

It is not just about daily charge rate. It is about having a backup charging solution, maybe accounting for emergencies or quick turnarounds on a vacation week.

Not saying everyone has to have a wall connector but the "good enough for my daily commute" argument for just using the included UMC is extraordinary narrow minded.

Maybe some folks have a neighbor that will share a connection or a close local L2 or supercharger in case the UMC fails or is lost or stolen some other backup plan. For me though buying a wall connector made the UMC a backup charging solution, and some vacations and a family emergency requiring fastest possible charging at home are why the $500 was a easy choice for me.
There is more to life than my 7 mile drive to work.

Is it "narrow minded" ? Everyone's situation is different. Mine in particular for example:

I actually can't even think of a "family emergency" in teh past 20 years.. especially one that would require me to drive any distance that would require fast charging at home. No "emergency" vacations, either. The three trips our model 3 has taken so far were planned, and the car was charged up and ready to go in the morning, even with our "slow" 6-20 line.

Our Model 3 is an SR+ and even at half charge has enough range to go from one side of town to the other six times. During the summer, my peak electricity rates are $0.53/kw. If I had to go out of town, 3/4 directions I might head in have a supercharger on teh way out. Not only would the supercharger be cheaper, but it'd be faster than a wall charger.

Maybe some people like myself are just far, far more boring than you would expect. :D

I have an LR MY on order. I have multiple 6-20 outlets in the garage, but I'm so boring I have actually considered that if I had to, I'd be able to get by almost entirely off of a 120v outlet.

There are a couple people who buy these adapters and resell them. There’s also a handful on eBay that are counterfeit and I’m a bit suspicious of the one linked in this thread. But the real issue is that Tesla is selling lots of cars and needs to do better at keeping these items in stock.
And if Tesla had them in stock, these gougers would be left holding the bag.

Is it "narrow minded" ? Everyone's situation is different. Mine in particular for example:

I actually can't even think of a "family emergency" in teh past 20 years.. especially one that would require me to drive any distance that would require fast charging at home. No "emergency" vacations, either. The three trips our model 3 has taken so far were planned, and the car was charged up and ready to go in the morning, even with our "slow" 6-20 line.

Our Model 3 is an SR+ and even at half charge has enough range to go from one side of town to the other six times. During the summer, my peak electricity rates are $0.53/kw. If I had to go out of town, 3/4 directions I might head in have a supercharger on teh way out. Not only would the supercharger be cheaper, but it'd be faster than a wall charger.

Maybe some people like myself are just far, far more boring than you would expect. :D

I have an LR MY on order. I have multiple 6-20 outlets in the garage, but I'm so boring I have actually considered that if I had to, I'd be able to get by almost entirely off of a 120v outlet.
In my case what convinced me to spring for the HCWC was my family was on vacation hours south of home, while there were got a call my father who lives several hours north was being taken by ambulance to a hospital about 45minutes north of home.
Plugged the car into 14-30 for 15minutes while unloading wife/kids/baggage ran nav to hospital and had low single digits for round trip.........so detour to supercharger. At 1am I get Mom back to my place, plug in till 7am when we are going back to the hospital and the car was still on the low side for the days use, ended up hitting the supercharger again later that day. All turned out well.

If we decide to go on longer trips like Milwaukee or Madison on consecutive days maximum charge rate helps too, or even of leaving on a long trip after work, can top up to 90% faster.