Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Installation in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah gotcha. You’re right, I could have done that for about the same price (after the rebate) as what I ended up doing (since I bought another UMC anyway).

A major factor for me was that I know I’m moving to a different place in less than 6 months, and this way I get to take both UMCs with me (whereas I would have left the HPWC behind when I sold this place, as I would had to pay an electrician again to take it out).
Converting HPWC to plug-in is as easy as adding a plug to it and changing switches to work as 40A. Then you can take it with you after moving. You can apply for receptacle installation rebate as long as you bought eligible EVSE. With rebate in mind you'd get free HPWC.
Also, when DIY you don't particularly need certificate of inspection to apply for only EVSE purchase rebate but still you may want it for insurance purposes. But if you already have receptacle installed in the garage all you need is a receipt to apply for purchase rebate.

Probably not, the hpwc has the ability to pull 80 amps regardless at what you set it at, so you would have to have awg3 to the hpwc. You probably have awg6 to your plug so I’m going out on a limb and saying it won’t pass. You could however use your rebate to have the installation done. Then swap the hpwc for a 14-50 plug and the 100 amp fuse for a more suitable size, and mount the hpwc next to it on a plug like you wished but if anyone tried to pull the full 80 you would trip the circuit breaker. Not a big deal but one you would find turned up in a home inspection.

Probably not, the hpwc has the ability to pull 80 amps regardless at what you set it at, so you would have to have awg3 to the hpwc. You probably have awg6 to your plug so I’m going out on a limb and saying it won’t pass. You could however use your rebate to have the installation done. Then swap the hpwc for a 14-50 plug and the 100 amp fuse for a more suitable size, and mount the hpwc next to it on a plug like you wished but if anyone tried to pull the full 80 you would trip the circuit breaker. Not a big deal but one you would find turned up in a home inspection.
I know that it has the ability to pull a lot, but I thought the HPWC had a setting in it, where you tell it exactly what to pull. I have a 40amp breaker on it currently.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP

You can wire the HPWC with your wire gauge of choice as long as the wire is supported by the breaker amperage in the panel. You then set the rotary switch to the amp setting. Eg. I installed 6/3 awg Teck cable. This is approved for up to a 60 amp breaker. When I install the HPWC the rotary switch will be set to 48 amps (80% rule for continuous loads).

I have a Nema 14-50 in my garage already. Can I buy the HPWC, and wire it through a power cord similar to this one: https://www.amazon.ca/General-Electric-WX09X10039-40amp-6-Feet/dp/B00NPZHBZY

Does anyone know if that would pass inspection? Or does the HPWC need to be wired directly?

If you wire the HPWC with a 8/3 awg stove wire and plug it into the Nema 14-50 on a 40 amp breaker and set the rotary switch to 32 amps it should pass inspection.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I have a Nema 14-50 in my garage already. Can I buy the HPWC, and wire it through a power cord similar to this one: https://www.amazon.ca/General-Electric-WX09X10039-40amp-6-Feet/dp/B00NPZHBZY

Does anyone know if that would pass inspection? Or does the HPWC need to be wired directly?

I know that I am not in Ontario, but that is what I plan to do: Install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 50 Amp breaker, install this cord (just ordered it last weekend) on the WC with it set up to call only 40 Amp (80% of 50 Amp).

In the amazon Q&A, it is written that the cables are 6 AWG for power.

I will ask a licensed electrician to take care of everything, as in Quebec, we are obliged to, to get the rebate.

Like that, if I want to move out in the future, I can leave with the WC and just let the NEMA 14-50 (also I have a location problem as I have to go over waste ducts between NEMA and WC).

Reactions: 03DSG
I was just strolling around and came to see this thread. I am also from Ottawa.

After booking my ‘S’, I called the esa electrical contractors to install electrician to get the NEMA 14-50 along with a 120v outlets. Which he came the next day and installed perfectly for my S. I got it all for $500. Satisfies the code. Probably you could find cheaper if you look around. I find the 14-50 to be completely adequate for my needs. Charges consistently at 28 miles/hour, so even if I need to top up before going out for dinner or what-not, usually an hour or so is more than enough.
Maybe you could contact the same if you are still looking...

Reactions: Liquidmetal101
Just had Watson Electric in Ottawa come by and issue me a quote. The electrician mentioned that his preference was to purchase the Tesla wall-charger rather than just install a NEMA 14-50. He said either way both setups would be fine. Should be getting his quote by the end of the day. Just wondering if I can order the Tesla Charger now before I get my Tesla and still be eligible for the Ontario rebate on it? I have a reservation number only (configured the Model 3 last week).

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott_K

There is some great discussion about this very question here: High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) vs NEMA 14-50 Direct Plug

I don't know the specifics in Canada, but in the USA, wiring a power cord to your HPWC will invalidate its UL listing and could have insurance ramifications in the event of an electrical fire.

To expand slightly, you can claim the rebate ONLY after you show certificate of inspection of installation. So you could wire it yourself, have it inspected, then claim the rebate. The good news is the cost of that inspection also qualifies for 50% rebate.

So I finally got a chance to read the official rules and it states:

• EVCIP purchase and installation incentive applications must be received within 3 months (90 days) of the ESA certificate date.
• If only applying for a purchase incentive, your application must be submitted within 3 months (90 days) of the charger purchase date.

It seems pretty explicit that you can buy a charger without installing it.

Rules here: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/...tFileAttach/023-0177E~2/$File/0177E_Guide.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I live in Ottawa and I’m looking into getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. Does anyone have any idea how much this tends to cost? I can’t seem to find any recent posts with Canadian quotes.

Also: does anyone in the Ottawa area have any recommendations for a good electrician?

Thanks for your advice.

I originally connected to the Nema 14-50 but changed to the Tesla charger for a sturdier unit plus I decided to keep the cable in trunk of car to hook up at my son’s house when we visited him in Brockville.

Electrician was Tom Bos ‭(343) 997-4673‬. He is very reasonable and cost depends on where your panel is located to your charging location. He arranges the electrical inspection.
ectrical inspection.

I had a electrition over yesterday. He says that I have to upgrade the panel from 100 to 200. I suggested he use the stove outlet as we use gas for cooking. He said the ESA would not approve it. So I think I have to upgrade. He yet to give me a quote. Anyone know how much this could set me back?

Just had Watson Electric in Ottawa come by and issue me a quote. The electrician mentioned that his preference was to purchase the Tesla wall-charger rather than just install a NEMA 14-50. He said either way both setups would be fine. Should be getting his quote by the end of the day. Just wondering if I can order the Tesla Charger now before I get my Tesla and still be eligible for the Ontario rebate on it? I have a reservation number only (configured the Model 3 last week).

You can, I have.

The trick is you have 3 months to plate the vehicle to get the rebate. Get the application form, it has the list of required documents. You need an ESA inspection certificate and receipt or invoice from the electrician, your plate number and registration information, and you have 3 months to get them all.

I have installed the HPWC, I think like a set of winter tires for daily use it will be more practical to have this when used on a daily basis.
It can also be mounted outside.

• Informative
Reactions: pmich80

You can, I have.

The trick is you have 3 months to plate the vehicle to get the rebate. Get the application form, it has the list of required documents. You need an ESA inspection certificate and receipt or invoice from the electrician, your plate number and registration information, and you have 3 months to get them all.

I have installed the HPWC, I think like a set of winter tires for daily use it will be more practical to have this when used on a daily basis.
It can also be mounted outside.

I just read through the EVCIP guide and application. To clarify:
If you are ONLY purchasing and claiming the cost of the WC you have 90 days from the ‘Date of Purchase’ of the WC to submit the claim.
If you are purchasing the WC and claiming the cost of the WC AND installation you have 90 days from the date of the ESA inspection to submit the claim.
In both cases the car must be registered and plated in Ontario.