Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Meltdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of nights ago I heard a loud pop inside our house complete with lights flickering. I went downstairs to the garage and found the garage with smoke and stinking of electrical smell. I noticed the Tesla was not longer charging and the breaker was tripped. Upon further inspection I noticed the outlet and 14-50 adapter were now melted together. We were absolutely lucky the breaker tripped. The charging system was put in over a year ago with no issues. My original 14-50 adapter was replaced by Tesla because they stated there was a chance of starting a fire (that is what I recall the letter said). For my setup I use the 14-50 adapter with the Tesla mobile always plugged into it. I never unplug the mobile charger from the 14-50 plug except for very rare occasions (once or twice a year).

I sent these photos to Tesla Charging and they said that maybe it was caused by not using an industrial strength receptical and that maybe the one used was a Levitron. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out what brand it is since they are fused. I should be able to separate the two. I will have an electrician take a look at this and report back. FYI, Tesla came and pickup the car for inspection even though they said they didn’t see any reports from the car of any problems.

GG

Wow, the exact same thing just happened to us! Fortunately, my wife went out to get something from her charging M3, and smelled the smoke. I disconnected the cable from her M3, but when she tried to pull the 14-50 adapter from the outlet, it threw off a huge spark. We killed the circuit breaker ( and noted that the breaker for my M3 - which was not plugged in, had already tripped). We called our trusted Electrician (not the ones who installed the original as part of our home builder's subcontractor). Thank God that we were not asleep! The face plate of the 14-50 plug had melted onto the prongs of the adapter.

Really? I distinctly remember discussions during the recall that the new grey ones had temp sensors. Any evidence one way or the other?

Pretty easy to confirm. How would that adapter communicate the temperature to the UMC to shutdown?

If you look at the connector for each UMC Gen 2 Adapter Plug there are like 4 small pins. 2 pins for the thermocouple and 2 pins for a resistor to tell the UMC how many amps to pull.

That adapter has 2 Hots, Neutral and Ground. I doubt it has WIFI ;)

This is why extension cords or 6-50 to 14-50 adapters are a bad idea too. You lose that protection.

Pretty easy to confirm. How would that adapter communicate the temperature to the UMC to shutdown?

If you look at the connector for each UMC Gen 2 Adapter Plug there are like 4 small pins. 2 pins for the thermocouple and 2 pins for a resistor to tell the UMC how many amps to pull.

That adapter has 2 Hots, Neutral and Ground. I doubt it has WIFI ;)

This is why extension cords or 6-50 to 14-50 adapters are a bad idea too. You lose that protection.
Right, I mis-spoke (typed) in post #17. I didn't mean some sort of real-time temp signal back to the gen 1 UMC. Just a single-use thermal fuse that would cut power (and kill the adapter) if it overheated. See post #19 -

Yes, there's no temp signal back to the UMC, but I thought there was a single-use temperature fuse in the new ones that would cut power if the plug overheated. Obviously, that didn't happen here.

Right, I mis-spoke (typed) in post #17. I didn't mean some sort of real-time temp signal back to the gen 1 UMC. Just a single-use thermal fuse that would cut power (and kill the adapter) if it overheated. See post #19 -

Yeah I’m sure they could fuse it. But I’m not sure how practical it is to have it break the link (permanently) when it’s above “normal” operating temp.

Maybe it did ;)

A couple of nights ago I heard a loud pop inside our house complete with lights flickering. I went downstairs to the garage and found the garage with smoke and stinking of electrical smell. I noticed the Tesla was not longer charging and the breaker was tripped. Upon further inspection I noticed the outlet and 14-50 adapter were now melted together. We were absolutely lucky the breaker tripped. The charging system was put in over a year ago with no issues. My original 14-50 adapter was replaced by Tesla because they stated there was a chance of starting a fire (that is what I recall the letter said). For my setup I use the 14-50 adapter with the Tesla mobile always plugged into it. I never unplug the mobile charger from the 14-50 plug except for very rare occasions (once or twice a year).

I sent these photos to Tesla Charging and they said that maybe it was caused by not using an industrial strength receptical and that maybe the one used was a Levitron. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out what brand it is since they are fused. I should be able to separate the two. I will have an electrician take a look at this and report back. FYI, Tesla came and pickup the car for inspection even though they said they didn’t see any reports from the car of any problems.

GG

I am so glad you and your family and your house ended up OK. I have a number of thoughts on this (I know this post is old, but it just popped back up)

This is something we have seen quite a few times in the forums. A melted 14-50 receptacle.

It may be impossible to tell now, but my guess is that either a screw terminal was insufficiently torqued down on one of the hots, OR, more likely, insulation was not stripped back far enough and was caught between the screw terminal and the wire.

When current flows over it the receptacle will heat up massively until it melts.

I will note that it looks like 8awg wire to me and while “in conduit” like that 8awg is fully code compliant, it is right at the edge of its rated capacity. Ambient temp can’t be over 86 degrees Fahrenheit in the install location.

Those Leviton receptacles really are cheap. Someone here on the forums bought one of each of all the receptacle types they could find and the quality difference is like night and day. The Hubbell and Bryant and Cooper ones all have clamp terminals while the Leviton one just crushes the wire with a screw. EV charging does really push these things to the max for hours on end and so I think we are finding weaknesses in products that never were discovered since they were previously not pushed that hard.

I should also note that you have a UMC Gen 1 and so you can charge at the full 40a. I am guessing this kind of scenario was one of the major reasons Tesla made the new UMC Gen 2 only 32a capable. It also has the thermal probe in the end of the adapter that communicates to the UMC/Car. I did think the UMC Gen 1 added a basic thermal fuse/disconnect at some point (not electronic).

A question: Was none of those wires green in color for ground? Also, I think technically that may not have been a fully code compliant install since or think the ground was supposed to have been attached (bonded) to the electrical box locally. That may not have had anything to do with the failure or how it was “cleared”, but I do call it out.

FWIW, I probably would use 6 awg replacement wire for the hots and neutral (ground can be as small as 10 awg).

This is exactly why I do a "temp check" every couple of weeks. After a couple of hours of charging (so things can warm up), I manually check the temp of all connections, plugs, etc. The breaker will be noticeably warm (~100F), but not hot - you can hold your hand on it indefinitely. All other plugs, outlets, and connections shouldn't be warm at all.

Doesn't really help the OP, but maybe the next person down the road.

I'm sort of anal about this, and use a torque-limiting screwdriver to make sure everything is tightened to spec. I've never had any heating.

Yeah, I have a thermal camera for this reason.

...maybe you don't want to use the electrician who did the original NEMA 14-50R install....not the best install and a loose connection will lead to this.

As far as the actual NEMA 14-50R you use, if you do not unplug and plug back in your Mobile Connector very often, you can use the 'cheap' $10 receptacle. But if you do a lot of disconnects, then opt for the $80 heavy duty one. Rated for more duty cycles.

So another forum member bought all the different receptacles and took pictures and reviewed them.

I would like to call out that I don’t think insertion cycles is the only metric that differentiates things. The quality of the wire terminals and the temperature at which the plastic of the receptacle melts are also large factors. I personally have become a fan of the Bryant receptacles as they are nearly identical to the Hubbell ones but at a more reasonable price (Zoro.com has them).

This is the reason why I spent the extra money and bought a Wall Connector. It’s just more robust.

Totally agreed. The receptacle is the weakest link. I think the future of EV charging is largely hard wired perhaps. All the dangerous situations I have seen have been with melted receptacles or extension cords.

Wow, the exact same thing just happened to us! Fortunately, my wife went out to get something from her charging M3, and smelled the smoke. I disconnected the cable from her M3, but when she tried to pull the 14-50 adapter from the outlet, it threw off a huge spark. We killed the circuit breaker ( and noted that the breaker for my M3 - which was not plugged in, had already tripped). We called our trusted Electrician (not the ones who installed the original as part of our home builder's subcontractor). Thank God that we were not asleep! The face plate of the 14-50 plug had melted onto the prongs of the adapter.

I am so glad you and your family and your house ended up ok!

So are you positive that your breaker was the one that tripped?

This sounds to me like her receptacle overheated and melted but did not short out and so did not trip the breaker. When she pulled out the receptacle it caused the wires that no longer had any insulation to short from hot to hot, hot to neutral, or hot to ground. This then blew the breaker.

Can you post a bunch of pictures like the original poster? These are all good learning opportunities for everyone here (and folks will find it in the future in google searches).

I am guessing your failure mode was similar to the original posters, though if you both have M3’s then is it reasonable to assume too both have UMC Gen 2 units? Odd that thermal protection did not trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Raechris
Thanks, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Actually, we were using a Gen 1 UMC from our first 2013 Model S on her car, and keeping the Gen 2 in the frunk for her to use during travel. Suffice it to say that after reading all the posts on this thread we will be getting rid of the Gen 1. We had 2 14-50s installed, one for each M3, and the other outlet seems to be fine. I checked it for heating and it was cool. We're going to have my electrician (not the one who installed the original for the contractor) to replace both 14-50 outlets, as I remember that even on the one that is still working properly, the center rivet that held on the faceplate was broken. I'm not taking any more chances with this.

I am so glad you and your family and your house ended up OK. I have a number of thoughts on this (I know this post is old, but it just popped back up)

This is something we have seen quite a few times in the forums. A melted 14-50 receptacle.

It may be impossible to tell now, but my guess is that either a screw terminal was insufficiently torqued down on one of the hots, OR, more likely, insulation was not stripped back far enough and was caught between the screw terminal and the wire.

When current flows over it the receptacle will heat up massively until it melts.

I will note that it looks like 8awg wire to me and while “in conduit” like that 8awg is fully code compliant, it is right at the edge of its rated capacity. Ambient temp can’t be over 86 degrees Fahrenheit in the install location.

Those Leviton receptacles really are cheap. Someone here on the forums bought one of each of all the receptacle types they could find and the quality difference is like night and day. The Hubbell and Bryant and Cooper ones all have clamp terminals while the Leviton one just crushes the wire with a screw. EV charging does really push these things to the max for hours on end and so I think we are finding weaknesses in products that never were discovered since they were previously not pushed that hard.

I should also note that you have a UMC Gen 1 and so you can charge at the full 40a. I am guessing this kind of scenario was one of the major reasons Tesla made the new UMC Gen 2 only 32a capable. It also has the thermal probe in the end of the adapter that communicates to the UMC/Car. I did think the UMC Gen 1 added a basic thermal fuse/disconnect at some point (not electronic).

A question: Was none of those wires green in color for ground? Also, I think technically that may not have been a fully code compliant install since or think the ground was supposed to have been attached (bonded) to the electrical box locally. That may not have had anything to do with the failure or how it was “cleared”, but I do call it out.

FWIW, I probably would use 6 awg replacement wire for the hots and neutral (ground can be as small as 10 awg).

Yeah, I have a thermal camera for this reason.

So another forum member bought all the different receptacles and took pictures and reviewed them.

I would like to call out that I don’t think insertion cycles is the only metric that differentiates things. The quality of the wire terminals and the temperature at which the plastic of the receptacle melts are also large factors. I personally have become a fan of the Bryant receptacles as they are nearly identical to the Hubbell ones but at a more reasonable price (Zoro.com has them).

Totally agreed. The receptacle is the weakest link. I think the future of EV charging is largely hard wired perhaps. All the dangerous situations I have seen have been with melted receptacles or extension cords.

I am so glad you and your family and your house ended up ok!

So are you positive that your breaker was the one that tripped?

This sounds to me like her receptacle overheated and melted but did not short out and so did not trip the breaker. When she pulled out the receptacle it caused the wires that no longer had any insulation to short from hot to hot, hot to neutral, or hot to ground. This then blew the breaker.

Can you post a bunch of pictures like the original poster? These are all good learning opportunities for everyone here (and folks will find it in the future in google searches).

I am guessing your failure mode was similar to the original posters, though if you both have M3’s then is it reasonable to assume too both have UMC Gen 2 units? Odd that thermal protection did not trip.

Thanks, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Actually, we were using a Gen 1 UMC from our first 2013 Model S on her car, and keeping the Gen 2 in the frunk for her to use during travel. Suffice it to say that after reading all the posts on this thread we will be getting rid of the Gen 1. We had 2 14-50s installed, one for each M3, and the other outlet seems to be fine. I checked it for heating and it was cool. We're going to have my electrician (not the one who installed the original for the contractor) to replace both 14-50 outlets, as I remember that even on the one that is still working properly, the center rivet that held on the faceplate was broken. I'm not taking any more chances with this.

For what it is worth, if I had a Gen 1 UMC I would have no issues using it as long as I had solid faith and confidence in the wiring job for the receptacle and a swarm long as I verified I was using the newer post recall adapter.

It does not have all the latest safety features as the Gen 2, but there are tens of thousands of them out in the wild and I think they are generally safe. It sounds to me like your receptacle or wiring was bad.

If Tesla replaces the adapter and checks the UMC and says it is fine I probably would keep using it. Or maybe they will swap it for you to a new Gen 2.

You can always set it down to 32 amps in software as an added margin of safety.

IMG_0318 (1).jpg
IMG_0316 (1).jpg

I smelled the melting plastic in the garage tonight and found the same issue. Leviton 14-50 receptacle installed back in late 2012 when I got the S. But the UMC is the updated grey one. It's awesome that it lasted this long and even more awesome that I caught it before it got worse.

I'll get the Gen-2 UMC. I can live with the reduced charging speed.

Now to find a competent electrician in the Bay Area. Any suggestions PM me. The one who installed it originally passed away. :(

Attachments

• 20190529_222348.jpg
    20190529_222348.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190529_222320.jpg
    20190529_222320.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 20190529_220400.jpg
    20190529_220400.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 135
I asked my electrician buddy. He thinks you used to smaller wire. Not sure what was used? Mine is 00. Or very heavy. As in cannot bend it easily. Like thick as pen for each of 4 wires. It was very hard to bend inside the CB cox.
Or the Male to female connection is not very tight. Female part in receptacle must be very very tight, as in push hard to insert Male end of cord.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I smelled the melting plastic in the garage tonight and found the same issue. Leviton 14-50 receptacle installed back in late 2012 when I got the S. But the UMC is the updated grey one. It's awesome that it lasted this long and even more awesome that I caught it before it got worse.

I'll get the Gen-2 UMC. I can live with the reduced charging speed.
A new UMC will cost you 300 by the time you add in the 14-50 adapter. The wall connector is 500 and it is a much more robust and better solution. Heavier cord and handle and you eliminate the plug and receptacle that may have caused this problem.

This is exactly why I do a "temp check" every couple of weeks. After a couple of hours of charging (so things can warm up), I manually check the temp of all connections, plugs, etc. The breaker will be noticeably warm (~100F), but not hot - you can hold your hand on it indefinitely. All other plugs, outlets, and connections shouldn't be warm at all.

Doesn't really help the OP, but maybe the next person down the road.

I'm sort of anal about this, and use a torque-limiting screwdriver to make sure everything is tightened to spec. I've never had any heating.

Now you have me worried. Everything gets warm to the touch on my setup -- the cable, the connector that goes into the charge port, the 14-50 adapter, the receptacle. It's been like this since the beginning, for over two years. When I say warm, I mean slightly above body temp, about 100'F. Should I call an electrician for an inspection?

I asked my electrician buddy. He thinks you used to smaller wire. Not sure what was used? Mine is 00. Or very heavy. As in cannot bend it easily. Like thick as pen for each of 4 wires. It was very hard to bend inside the CB cox.
Or the Male to female connection is not very tight. Female part in receptacle must be very very tight, as in push hard to insert Male end of cord.
That's very unlikely that it was too small wire. It would have had problems long before that if it were the case. These kinds of issues are much more commonly a connection being bad in some way, which is usually one of two related types of things. Sometimes where the rubber insulation was stripped back, it wasn't quite stripped at the right distance or the wire was pushed in too far, so that part of the insulation got pinched in the terminals, so there wasn't a very solid connection to the wire. Or related to that, if the connection wasn't tightened up enough at the start, it could work its way loose over time with the cycles of heating and cooling causing the wire to expand and contract some. And then if the connection is loose, you have a very small connection point, which becomes highly resistive and is a hot spot.

I know you love talking about how you have 00 wire gauge, but that's really too big for a 14-50 outlet--as in it's impossible to fit into the terminals of almost any brand of 14-50 outlet, so you would generally not get a proper connection, and you're giving people bad advice. 6 gauge would be about the right size for a 50A circuit.

Now you have me worried. Everything gets warm to the touch on my setup -- the cable, the connector that goes into the charge port, the 14-50 adapter, the receptacle. It's been like this since the beginning, for over two years. When I say warm, I mean slightly above body temp, about 100'F. Should I call an electrician for an inspection?

Warm is normal. Hot is not. Some amount of loss is expected (which results in heat). Even if the wire had only a 60c rating (it probably is 90c or higher), that would be 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously we would want it to run nowhere near that hot...

What you don’t want is a loose connection causing large amounts of heat at one spot which melts things.

Warm is normal. Hot is not. Some amount of loss is expected (which results in heat). Even if the wire had only a 60c rating (it probably is 90c or higher), that would be 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously we would want it to run nowhere near that hot...

What you don’t want is a loose connection causing large amounts of heat at one spot which melts things.

Thanks! I felt my breaker -- it stay cool during charging.