Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Splitter for dryer + Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
code species all work to be done in a "neat and workmanlike manner" as well as installing equipment per manufacturer specifications. From what you describe, the work wasn't done to code.
When we buy something from the store, for electrical products, there us UL listed sign. Hopefully there is some quality control telling us if it is rated for 50 amps, it is not only for 30 amps. If we don't trust that, everything you buy will be subjected to doubt.

I had 25ft long extension cord for 2 months with zero issues on old 10-30 outlet charging my X every night with splitvolt 10-30 splitter :) zero issue. Cable was thick af, so I guess good quality cable helps
I have been using extension since 2014 on the NEMA 10-50 outlet with no issue. I will not charge 2 EV by using a splitter concurrently. I intend to by a 10-30 splitter and charge two Tesla's alternately.

I never recommend using an extension cord for daily charging. There are just too many extra points of failure for it to make sense. You just paid a lot of money for a luxury car, pay a little more for a proper charging circuit. It will be safer and more convenient.

I never recommend using an extension cord for daily charging. There are just too many extra points of failure for it to make sense. You just paid a lot of money for a luxury car, pay a little more for a proper charging circuit. It will be safer and more convenient.
I am not sure what you meant by extra points of failure. Extension cable is like a wired conduit to channel electric current to the car. How could it harm the car especially after I used it since 2014 with no adverse events.

I am not sure what you meant by extra points of failure. Extension cable is like a wired conduit to channel electric current to the car. How could it harm the car especially after I used it since 2014 with no adverse events.
Adding an extension cord means at the very least two more significant failure points. Both the line voltage spades of the extension cord are under high stress, and you are adding N feet of unprotected cord that might be physically damaged anywhere along its length. You also should be concerned about the connections from those two spades and the wiring of the cord, and from the wiring of the cord back to the things that receive the spades of the UMC's adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
A quick google search for required permits indicates one is required for electrical vehicle charging
You may have used a extension cable since 2014 but I'm sure that is a code violation and a fire hazard

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am not sure what you meant by extra points of failure. Extension cable is like a wired conduit to channel electric current to the car.
The connection types are not the same. Using spring tension to have the inside pieces of metal in an outlet "squeeze" against the blades of a plug is a less reliable and less surface area and more resistive connection than wire lugs with screw pieces that tighten down to pinch HARD onto a wire. Those are more solid connections. Electric code won't even allow plug connections for anything above 60A because it's just too dangerous and unreliable for high current applications.
How could it harm the car
It won't. It's not about the car. It's about the connection points of these plugs developing problems and getting loose or more resistive and forming hot spots, which can be dangerous if it catches something nearby on fire. So it's preferable to not have a lot of those kinds of plug connections in the chain of high current applications like this.

Reactions: davewill
As others have said, it's those extra plug connections, plus trip hazards, exposure to dirt and moisture, etc... I don't want to be overly dramatic. Your car is not going to blow up or anything. I know that many people have used them to no ill effect, and I've used them myself for temporary situations like at a relative's house. I just think that for a permanent situation, it's smarter, and certainly more convenient, to do it correctly.

I literally charge it everyday with extension cord and splitter... under the rain, wind, day and night when needed... had zero issues. Choosing the correct extension cord is important.

Reactions: ambudriver03
I am using the splitvolt box at the one house by basically using my 30 amp dryer outlet and then connecting the dryer plug and the charger.

It will charge with a maximum of 24amp which is about 21 miles per hour. good enough for me.

My other house has a 200 amp service so i am going all in. 50 or 60 amp power for the Tesla wall charger to take advantage of the maximum 48 amp charging capability.

The car is coming next week so i will know soon enough first hand how these two systems work.

A good high quality 14-50 extension cord is pricey to begin with. The most economical approach is to not cut corners and spend the money to install an outlet or charger the correct way. Doubt an insurance company will cover anything installed incorrectly.