Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to TMC! If you search for the term you put in on this site, you will probably get more reading than you know what to do with to help you make your decision.

To help you get started, I copy / pasted from one of the charging experts on this forum, @eprosenx who wrote up a couple of very good articles about charging tesla model 3s. You could ask for what you posted. You could also ask for some other connector if it works better with your current infrastructure.

As for the info from @eprosenx (hope he doesnt mind, hes very helpful and puts a lot of time into helping people with charging questions here, along with a few other people who do so), I copied it from another post of his.

Happy reading!
================================================
(previously posted by @eprosenx )

Welcome to Tesla ownership!

I do recommend a bit of reading first. Tesla actually has a lot of good info on their web site.

Home Charging Installation

I also wrote up a couple of articles, but they are fairly technical:
How Should I Charge My Tesla? – Article625.com

Tesla Mobile Connector Gen 2 vs Wall Connector – Article625.com

If you do end up with a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle at home as your solution you will need to buy a $35 adapter since Tesla no longer includes the 14-50 by default. Order now as they have been having stocking issues!

Reactions: eprosenx
Getting a M3 in about two weeks. Just want to confirm, tell the electrician I want a Nema 14-50? TIA

Basically yeah. You’ll have a few vocal people come in here in a few minutes selling you on the countless virtues of spending an extra $500 on a wall connector, but it’s really not necessary.

Alternatively, since you need to buy the adapter anyway, you could tell the electrician you want a 6-50 instead of a 14-50. Has one less conductor so may be cheaper if you have a long wire run. Otherwise functionally identical.

MOTHER OF GOD! A $500 wall connector? The electrician is going to run $380 for his work. I thought the adapter was with the car. It's in all the YT videos I've seen.
What kind of m3 are you getting ? ..what is your daily commute ? How long is your cable run? Hard to give any recommendations without more info ;)...on surface $380 for wiring doesn’t sound so bad ...:)...some folks prefer the high powered wall connector over the mobile connector ..but again you may not get any increase in charging if you have the M3 SR​

I dont think you need the wall connector if you only drive 6k miles a year and are getting the Standard range model 3. I gave you the links so you could read yourself. The mobile connector does come with the car, and is functionally fine for most people (my personal opinion).

Cases where you might want the wall connector some combination of:

1. You drive a lot, and want to charge as fast as possible when you get home
2. you see yourself as becoming a 2 EV Tesla Family
3. You want to keep the mobile connector in the car and not "plug and unplug" it to take it with you
4. You like the aesthetics / look of the wall connector
5. You want to fit all of your charging into a small window because of time of use electrical plans

I admit fully that I fell into category 1,3 and 4.

Reactions: P85_DA
If I bought a second EV, I'd have to sell my house, then it would all be moot. So I'm back to my original thought, 14-50, and I buy a $35 gizmo from Tesla?

This depends on the wiring you have currently but if you are having new wiring run, most people get 14-50. That 14-50 is 50 amps, but you cant use all of it on a continuous load. I think 80% is the most you can use, so 50amp circut = 40 amps usable. Your standard range Model 3 will only charge at 32 amps max when not being supercharged, so for your car even 14-50 is somewhat overkill but obviously would work.

I have put 32K mi in 5 years on my present car. I'll no doubt have a spike at first, but will settle down to the same routine after about three months. My car is the basic model M3, with AP. I can't remember all the initials people talk about.

You can very possibly also just charge off of 120V 15A or 20A plug. That should be included with the car.

If you fell that you may need to carry the UMC (cable) with you on the road, I'd recommend getting a second one. (I believe these may still come with the adapter) as well as another adapter. It's still cheaper than the gas.

So, if you have a 120V plug and don't plan on doing any long trips (or have other charging options near you), you may just want to wait until you get the car.

Okay, very appreciative of the input from all. I have the estimate from the electrician for $386, I'll get the adapter from Tesla store. Done deal. Thanks again, everybody.
If you are at all electrical savy, wiring up a 14-50 plug and breaker is incredibly simple. I'd estimate I spent 50-70 bucks

Also, my local Tesla center had the adaptors in stock, if you don't want to wait for shipping

Breaker - about $20 +/- $5
8 feet 8/3 - $20 +/- $5
Box - about $5
14-50 outlet - $15-$90 (research and you'll see why the wide disparity, but I doubt the electrician is using the commercial version unless requested)
Labor - about 1 hour assuming unfinished walls
Trip charge or minimum - $$

Don't forget a permit cost may be in there too.