Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Network Timeout on iOS app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else experiencing problems connecting to their car through the Tesla app?

My M3 updated to 2020.44.15 on Saturday, and my iPhone 11 Pro Max is on iOS 14.3 (18C5054c). The last time my app was able to connect was on Monday, I've tried rebooting my phone although not the car yet as I thought I'd ask here first.
thumbnail_IMG_9668.jpg

If I go sit in the car then when the screen powers on I see there's no LTE connection for a few seconds until it connects firstly to LTE then to my home wifi. Even sat in the car the phone, whilst the key is connected and I can open the frunk / doors, it will not properly connect for any other functions.

I've searched the forum for "Network Timeout" but it doesn't seem to be something people have mentioned much. Anyone have any suggestions please?

Yes, happens to me a lot, both from an iPhone and from an Android tablet. I think it's just an issue with the app not being able to communicate with Tesla's servers for some reason, as it seems to happen randomly at different times of the day. Refreshing the wake up (tap the circular icon on the right) sometimes gets it to connect, although I've often had it fail several times in a row.

iOS 14.3? is that Beta?
It is, although this has been on my phone for at least 10 days now.

After another day of it not working regardless how many times I refreshed, I started playing with the "turn it off and on again" approach and I've just managed to get it working again... first I rebooted the car, still didn't work, then I rebooted the car with the brake pedal pressed (I read it somewhere, I don't know if it actually does anything different!), still didn't work. Finally I powered the car down, sat in the dark and read TMC on my phone for 5 minutes before starting it up again - hallelujah it works again!!

If you run something like TeslaFi, you can get some indication if the Tesla servers and/or car connection are struggling by looking at the logs - on TeslaFi you can click the leftmost detail column in the event summaries. The default right most 'logger notes' column will indicate if there were connection issues such as timeouts. Best to look at events when car was not driving to be sure that the events were not down to when car was in a not spot.

I quickly looked at todays logs and they look clear, so for us, no connectivity issues today. Sometimes you can get clusters when its pretty bad.

Reactions: Lucanesque
AWS has been having issues last few days. Likely connected since half the internet uses it now

That's a good point, as we've seen problems before when cloud services have been blocked by Tesla. I read a bit in the news earlier about the AWS outage causing lots of Ring doorbells and Roomba vacuum cleaners to stop working. Much as I like technology, I do wonder sometimes about the wisdom of having so much everyday stuff reliant on servers in another country.

Reactions: CMc1 and Lucanesque
That's a good point, as we've seen problems before when cloud services have been blocked by Tesla. I read a bit in the news earlier about the AWS outage causing lots of Ring doorbells and Roomba vacuum cleaners to stop working. Much as I like technology, I do wonder sometimes about the wisdom of having so much everyday stuff reliant on servers in another country.
Agreed. We (everyone) rely on AWS for a huge amount of data services across the internet web and IoT - it’s the reason Amazon/Jeff is the richest man in the world; not because of the shopping site.

AWS outage takes down large portions of the internet | TechRadar

In 2019 Forbes valued AWS at $400 billion How Much Is Amazon Web Services Worth On A Standalone Basis?

Agreed. We (everyone) rely on AWS for a huge amount of data services across the internet web and IoT - it’s the reason Amazon/Jeff is the richest man in the world; not because of the shopping site.

AWS outage takes down large portions of the internet | TechRadar

In 2019 Forbes valued AWS at $400 billion How Much Is Amazon Web Services Worth On A Standalone Basis?
I missed a parcel delivery on Wednesday as my door bell wasn't working due to a server on the east coast of the US being down.

If that's not a modern day problem then I'm not sure what is :)

If you run something like TeslaFi, you can get some indication if the Tesla servers and/or car connection are struggling by looking at the logs - on TeslaFi you can click the leftmost detail column in the event summaries. The default right most 'logger notes' column will indicate if there were connection issues such as timeouts. Best to look at events when car was not driving to be sure that the events were not down to when car was in a not spot.

I quickly looked at todays logs and they look clear, so for us, no connectivity issues today. Sometimes you can get clusters when its pretty bad.
I really need to look in to TeslaFi. The website isn't the best before signing up, and I think I might be confusing something else, but I thought I'd read something somewhere about people using RaspberryPi with this which is a bit out of my experience / comfort zone!

I really need to look in to TeslaFi. The website isn't the best before signing up, and I think I might be confusing something else, but I thought I'd read something somewhere about people using RaspberryPi with this which is a bit out of my experience / comfort zone!
TelsaFi is hosted by the provider so no use for a Raspberry Pi there. Just need to sign up on a website.

Telsamate is self hosted, most run this on a RaspberryPi or on their own servers.

@DaveW has written an excellent guide on how to get started with this:
How to install TeslaMate on a Raspberry Pi without using a monitor - TeslaEV.co.uk

If you need any help during the installation there's plenty of us that can help you out in this thread:
TeslaMate update