Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neural Networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the topic of neural networks. I contacted Amir Efrati at The Information, but I have not been able to get to the bottom of this. Is Tesla working on a neural network for path planning? If so, is Tesla using some form of imitation learning to train its path planning neural network?

The full scoop: Tesla AI and behaviour cloning: what’s really happening?
A most curious and puzzling case...
3LBR6NR.png

There is a big difference between what Tesla does, and what Tesla imagines is possible.

They talk about detecting objects to steer around, but I'm not aware of any generic "blob" object detection.

In experiencing how it drives I don't see any signs that there is any behavior cloning going on. I really wish there was, and that I could train it on my own driving. Having autosteer, and auto acceleration braking that was set to my own behaviors would be pretty cool even if it took months of shadow training. It would be awesome if slight adjustments in steering helped correct it.

The biggest challenge facing the AP team likely has to do with the fact that it lacks important information to make sense of why I did what I did while driving.

It often has no clue about the speed limit on the road
It doesn't detect debris in the road
It doesn't have any kind of rear/side radar to overcome imaging limitations
It says it has drive-on-nav, but this doesn't prevent it from diving for an exit that isn't the exit in the nav

It has no ability to measure my engagement (the torque sensor is really inadequate for this). So it doesn't know how to interpret my allowance of whatever it is doing. If I ignore a lane change request I could have a bunch of reasons for doing so. If I take over it might be because I had to or because I simply wanted to.

If there was behavior cloning then I'd like there to be a way to disable it temporarily. This falls under the do what I say, but not what I do column of driving.

I'm sure we all have driving moments where we'd scrub from the memory banks.

• Helpful
Reactions: rnortman
Hi Jimmy, this comment of yours is about 1 yr old but, that's where I am at the moment is learning what I can on Tesla's NN. Given that, your quote above, what would you guess would be the difference good/bad between calibration at night and calibration during daylight? I drove home at night (9:30)after picking up my car in Mt Kisco, NY.

That statement is in reference to an earlier version of the software that was only calibrating a couple of the front cameras. Recently "calibration" means a lot more, much of which is certainly not related to stereo binocular calibration.

Whether you initially calibrate at night or not is probably immaterial - it appears that the car recalibrates frequently, maybe continuously, so your initial cal won't have long lasting effects.

Like i said, Tesla engineers do have cars with HW3 and yet they can't even do a cross country drive? But he says Level 5 is coming next year? lmao.

Oh wait..I haven't had my daily intake, brb.

Yes, like i was saying I believe elon. Tesla is decades ahead of the entire competition and Elon's statements proves it. He's gonna shock the world next year.

G8ryqQg.png

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Inside and PaulJohn
Like i said, Tesla engineers do have cars with HW3 and yet they can't even do a cross country drive? But he says Level 5 is coming next year? lmao.

Oh wait..I haven't had my daily intake, brb.

Yes, like i was saying I believe elon. Tesla is decades ahead of the entire competition and Elon's statements proves it. He's gonna shock the world next year.

G8ryqQg.png
Coming sooner than you think

Reactions: Kant.Ing and Inside
Why re-invent the wheel when this problem was solved over a decade ago?

3LBR6NR.png

Tesla should just acquire Carnegie Mellon and launch its technology ahead 11 years...
well, everybody knows that if you don't return to the first principles, your solutions are not going to be the good ones anyway.

Also it's CMU's "personal/team software process" methodology that asks you to make prototypes and then throw them away as their only purpose is to show you errors in your ways and it's best to start from the clean plate instead of trying to try to shove that square peg into the round hole.

Why re-invent the wheel when this problem was solved over a decade ago?

3LBR6NR.png

Tesla should just acquire Carnegie Mellon and launch its technology ahead 11 years...

Assuming you're serious... welcome to software engineering! Here's some background reading:
Another way to look at this is that the original solution was a demo or a "science project" — that is, not ready for production use.

Yet another way to look at this is that every student driver reinvents this wheel, again and again. But every one of us is born with general-purpose wetware for image recognition, motion recognition, and learning. That makes it pretty easy to learn. So far we're still working on reinventing that general-purpose system in computer form. When we do, it looks like we'll call it AGI (artificial general intelligence).

Production-readiness is hard to assess from the outside. From the outside, a demo of a janky science project and a demo of an alpha or dev build of software about to go into production — they look the same.

If Elon means that stop sign detection, traffic light recognition, and roundabout Autosteer are in testing in the dev build of Software v9.1 (or whatever the version number is), that means a production release of these features could be on the horizon. Elon first mentioned dev testing of Navigate on Autopilot in June, and it came 5 months later.

If Elon means that stop sign detection, traffic light recognition, and roundabout Autosteer are in testing in the dev build of Software v9.1 (or whatever the version number is), that means a production release of these features could be on the horizon. Elon first mentioned dev testing of Navigate on Autopilot in June, and it came 5 months later.
Elon also first mentioned FSD in 2016 and coast to coast in 2017(?), so to quote the man himself: "why would people think that if I've been late on all the other models, that I'd be suddenly on time with this one". And this time it was not even a timeline, but "soon"...

Elon also first mentioned FSD in 2016 and coast to coast in 2017(?), so to quote the man himself: "why would people think that if I've been late on all the other models, that I'd be suddenly on time with this one". And this time it was not even a timeline, but "soon"...

He’s never said anything about FSD testing in the dev version of production software, though. That seems like a meaningful milestone for these features.

The next step of the development pipeline would be Early Access, and then the step after that would be fleet-wide release.

He’s never said anything about FSD testing in the dev version of production software, though. That seems like a meaningful milestone for these features.

The next step of the development pipeline would be Early Access, and then the step after that would be fleet-wide release.
Well, he said August "With V9, we will begin to enable full self-driving features." Anand Krishnamurthy on Twitter

So that's even better than testing, I would think (no, NoA is NOT FSD, NoA is squarely a EAP feature).

I disagree. It’s a statement about what will happen (unknown) versus what has happened (known).

Elon can’t predict the future, but he can predict the past.
In normal world when people say a certain release with have a feature X, that's because feature X has already been implemented and is being tested.But you are right, we are talking about Elon here, so who knows what he actually means and what does actually exist as of the time of this writing.

In normal world when people say a certain release with have a feature X, that's because feature X has already been implemented and is being tested.But you are right, we are talking about Elon here, so who knows what he actually means and what does actually exist as of the time of this writing.
I mean I get what you’re saying but it’s not just Elon. It’s pretty much every Silicon Valley company these days. Why do employees watch their press events other than to have a heart attack over what the leadership is promising customers....

Reactions: WierdMobile