Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neural Networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did they put traffic light detection, various summon controls and such that never came to be years ago?
... and
BoldFilthyChameleon-max-1mb.gif

... in the
Football-Artificial-Grass-with-50mm-Pile-Height-Suitable-for-Football-Fields-and-School-Playgrounds.jpg

... of the
fUlRG1.gif

Why didn’t they keep it that way if that would have allowed quicker progress?
Obviously (in retrospect) quicker progress is/was not the goal (see how stretched out the timelines had become).

What if it's the "Moses journey" kind of thing, where the idea is to weed out the current unsafe/impatient/anxious crop of autopilot users/drivers and then once the new car-indifferent generation is ready, unveil the real gifts to them.

/s

Nope, three months maybe, six months definately!

I agree with the subtext that we have no idea, and this doesn't really change that fact. But @BigD0g is funnier than I am. Which (sadly) isn't a very high bar. (that's pure, honest self deprecation by the way)

It should count as evidence that stuff is happening - probably. But we don't know how much is happening and we don't know how far they are from being able to do anything that hasn't already shipped. I'm hoping that recent performance tells us that on-ramp-to-off ramp could come soon (this year), and conceivably whitelisted highway L3 after that (next year), but that's such a different thing than FSD on surface streets that, IMHO, we have no idea at all how far away it is.

Why didn’t they keep it that way if that would have allowed quicker progress?

There are 4 real possibilities:

1) they have a feasible development path that's been carefully considered and it's taking them longer to execute than they had hoped/expected (and this doesn't require lots of extra radar)
2) same as 1, except they intentionally understated the timeline for business reasons
3) they are incompetent and/or delusional
4) it's a scam

I have listed those in order of my personal estimation of likelihood. I invite additions/rearrangements to the list. Which is going to happen anyway. :rolleyes: