Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2022 MYP Completely Dead!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a new MYP with ~440 miles on the odometer. Today I was out for a short drive and the front motor went to a disabled state. I was still able to drive the car home.

After powering off and several reboots the issue still remained, along with several other alerts around various systems.

I powered off one last time and after a few hours the car went completely dead. I cannot open any doors with the app or key cards.

I’m going to try connecting to the 12v battery and see if I can at least get the doors open. But this is super frustrating on what is a brand new car.

Car had about 200 miles of charge on it this AM after charging yesterday. I was out of town for the week prior and car was sitting idle for that time. I do not think that is the issue as the car had around 90 miles of charge when we returned home.

Likely needs a tow to a service center. Ideas welcome.

Hi all,

I have a new MYP with ~440 miles on the odometer. Today I was out for a short drive and the front motor went to a disabled state. I was still able to drive the car home.

After powering off and several reboots the issue still remained, along with several other alerts around various systems.

I powered off one last time and after a few hours the car went completely dead. I cannot open any doors with the app or key cards.

I’m going to try connecting to the 12v battery and see if I can at least get the doors open. But this is super frustrating on what is a brand new car.

Car had about 200 miles of charge on it this AM after charging yesterday. I was out of town for the week prior and car was sitting idle for that time. I do not think that is the issue as the car had around 90 miles of charge when we returned home.

Likely needs a tow to a service center. Ideas welcome.
Keep us posted!

Very disappointing for sure. Doubtful anyone here can diagnose what’s wrong. The Tesla service center should (hopefully) take care of you quickly and have you back on the road before long. Possibilities include defective front motor which needs replacement, software issue, 12v battery?…

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Since you were driving the car, I would guess the DC-DC converter failed. The DC-DC system powers the 12v system when the car is awake. But if it fails the 12v system is powered by the 12v battery, which will die.

Look at what the error messages actually say and post them here.

But call your SC since it is likely it will need their attention.

Thanks all! And yea the DC-DC converter crossed my mind. I’m thinking maybe that fuse is dead.

I forgot to snap a picture of the errors. But a few of them were VCFRONT and BMS related. I did not capture the codes so if I can get access to the car I’ll reply back.

Thanks all! And yea the DC-DC converter crossed my mind. I’m thinking maybe that fuse is dead.

I forgot to snap a picture of the errors. But a few of them were VCFRONT and BMS related. I did not capture the codes so if I can get access to the car I’ll reply back.
Yep, sounds like a 12v voltage issue. The disabled front motor is certainly a. curve ball.

Good luck!

ok was able to jump start the car. Battery is only reading 11.2v so car will not start. Wondering if I should manually charge or just have it towed. Car has the new Li-ion battery.

Attachments

• D401A73F-B505-42A1-BC04-D4612F6AFF38.jpeg
    D401A73F-B505-42A1-BC04-D4612F6AFF38.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 231
Quick update...I was able to get into the car to grab car seats, roll up windows etc. But was literally watching the battery drain. Something is definitely wrong with the new Li-Ion battery. The tow company was incredible and very careful - car had to be put on skids given there was no way to enable tow mode. That was impressive to watch, as nervous as I was!

Will update again tomorrow once service has some news.

I saw this as well:

May not be my exact issue, but there are definitely issues with the new LiION batteries, even with cars that have significant charge to the main batteries.

It's a pretty horrible experience when this happens. In this case it may be that the dead / dying 12v battery is not the main culprit, but it draining so quickly may be a symptom of the car trying to protect the HV system?

Or similar to an experience I had, it may be that the motor issue has just made a pre-existing 12v weakness more prominent. I had a very flukey experience where the HV battery cooler went on our model S, and the 12v battery kicked the bucket almost immediately after. So same as you, was locked out of car, could not get the car in tow mode etc. and it had to be towed onto a flatbed with skids which left some nice marks on our driveway. :mad:

I paid for a new 12v battery, but everything else was covered by 3rd party warranty. In your case, given how new the car is I would expect everything to be replaced as needed, including the 12v battery.

It's a pretty horrible experience when this happens. In this case it may be that the dead / dying 12v battery is not the main culprit, but it draining so quickly may be a symptom of the car trying to protect the HV system?

Or similar to an experience I had, it may be that the motor issue has just made a pre-existing 12v weakness more prominent. I had a very flukey experience where the HV battery cooler went on our model S, and the 12v battery kicked the bucket almost immediately after. So same as you, was locked out of car, could not get the car in tow mode etc. and it had to be towed onto a flatbed with skids which left some nice marks on our driveway. :mad:

I paid for a new 12v battery, but everything else was covered by 3rd party warranty. In your case, given how new the car is I would expect everything to be replaced as needed, including the 12v battery.
I'm wondering if I should be prepared to lemon the car. Not saying that that's even a possibility just yet, but I'd like to be prepared given the experience. I have not reviewed California lemon law requirements in a long time, but I believe "several" attempts to repair the same issue must be made first in order to be eligible. I'm hoping everything will just be repaired and the car will never experience an issue like this again.