Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 MY — Driver’s window randomly fails to close (second request for Tesla service)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_5584.jpeg

Anyone else having this problem? New 2023 Model Y, that we got in late February. Drivers window will go to close then immediately come back down. It does this sporadically. Sometimes it will fail for days straight; then work for two weeks and fail back again. You have to hold the button to get it to close. I took a picture of the message on the screen saying there was an obstruction (false) and video when submitting the initial ticket. I also recalibrated the windows in the service menu.
I had the mobile tech come out and of course on that day it wouldn’t fail no matter what he did. He tried everything, so he closed out the ticket. However he wrote a note to document the date/time when it occurs again and file another ticket.
Two weeks later and the problem reappears. I file another ticket today and include the date/time for diagnostics. Someone actually messaged me back this time and we talked back and forth about reproducing the problem. Then, he actually called me because he said it would be faster that way.
We had a 5-min chat and I talked about how my Model 3 had never done this. He explained that Tesla changed how the pinch sensor works on the Model Y, so they aren’t directly comparable. He also mentioned something about the motor firmware and the buffer being full when my window stopped functioning properly. Then the buffer would clear, allowing the window to function again.
He couldn’t confirm that it was an actual software/firmware bug or if the actual motor was somehow defective. But to be on the safe side, he ordered a new motor and will have the techs install it when they come out on the 23rd.
I’m actually kind of impressed with the follow through and phone call. Hopefully this will fix it.
But has anyone experienced similar behavior with their window(s).

Had exactly the same problem on my MYLR delivered 2/3/2023, Fremont build. It was a misaligned door (not visible to an eye). Tech came out and after consulting on the phone with another tech just rotated some bolts and everything is hunky-dory since then. Give that guidance to your tech. Nothing to do with a motor or pinch sensor. Easy fix.

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
Had exactly the same problem on my MYLR delivered 2/3/2023, Fremont build. It was a misaligned door (not visible to an eye). Tech came out and after consulting on the phone with another tech just rotated some bolts and everything is hunky-dory since then. Give that guidance to your tech. Nothing to do with a motor or pinch sensor. Easy fix.
Thanks, will definitely relay that information.

Also, did yours fail at random intervals as well? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the madness.
Yes, completely random. First time it happened was on a day I picked up the car:) It was rather cold, so I thought the window trim was stiff. But then it happened again and it kept doing it even on hot days (roughly 3-10 days per occurrence). On some days it could happen a couple of times, when the window will roll up when the car will lock itself. My message was a little different, it was saying "The front driver side window is not fully closed". It was annoying to the point that you walk away from the car and then have to come back to make sure that the window rolled up. That's when I summoned Tesla service.

Yes, completely random. First time it happened was on a day I picked up the car:) It was rather cold, so I thought the window trim was stiff. But then it happened again and it kept doing it even on hot days (roughly 3-10 days per occurrence). On some days it could happen a couple of times, when the window will roll up when the car will lock itself. My message was a little different, it was saying "The front driver side window is not fully closed". It was annoying to the point that you walk away from the car and then have to come back to make sure that the window rolled up. That's when I summoned Tesla service.
BTW, that message I am referring to was in the Tesla app.

My MYP Fremont build I picked up a couple days ago did this. I only realized after driving away. This was my only issue and they were aware of it when they arrived. Tech replaced the motor and said this was a known issue. Works perfectly just like my M3.

What’s interesting is that it only fails if I lower the window and then attempt to raise it (or if the car attempts to auto raise the window if I left it open upon exit and auto lock). If the window is closed and then it auto drops for me to open the door; it never fails when going back up after the door is closed.

It makes no sense.

Are all of these instances happening when the car is sitting still?

I haven't had an occurrence when sitting still. When my car is moving, driver's side window will sometimes refuse to close, I assume because of the vibration from the road. Once I hit smooth pavement, the window closes just fine.

...just sayin'...

Are all of these instances happening when the car is sitting still?

I haven't had an occurrence when sitting still. When my car is moving, driver's side window will sometimes refuse to close, I assume because of the vibration from the road. Once I hit smooth pavement, the window closes just fine.

...just sayin'...
In the video posted in the OP, the car is sitting parked in the garage.