Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"New" 2023 with less warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla hasn't responded yet, but I just bought a 2023 MXP with 19km on it. Sales rep said it was never a demo car and was just moved from storage lot to dealership and was put on display at front for the entire time.

However after I paid for it yesterday, they told me the warranty started in January in the app, and not May. Anyone else have this happen?

Tesla hasn't responded yet, but I just bought a 2023 MXP with 19km on it. Sales rep said it was never a demo car and was just moved from storage lot to dealership and was put on display at front for the entire time.

However after I paid for it yesterday, they told me the warranty started in January in the app, and not May. Anyone else have this happen?
I don't know how the consumer law works elsewhere but in the US, the new car warranty doesn't start until an owner signs to accept the delivery.

So it depends on how the car was sold to you. If you are the second owner in May, then of course the warranty already started in January starting with the first owner.

If it's sold as new, then it doesn't matter how old (like 2020, 4 years ago) or how many miles on the odometer, the new car warranty starts when you sign to take your car away in May, 2024 and not 2020.

don't know how the consumer law works elsewhere but in the US, the new car warranty doesn't start until an owner signs to accept the delivery.

A car can absolutely be "punched" and have the warranty start before anyone takes ownership of the car. In that case the car is actually being sold as Used, even if it has no miles on it. Car dealers in general tend to hand wave that designation away but "new / used" is a legal definition.

I should say I agree mostly with what you are saying, with the exception being that a car can be placed into service / punched by a dealer with the dealer itself being the first owner, so if the OP asks "did anyone else own this car? they could say "Just the dealership".

(note that the term "punched" in this meaning means "reported as sold" / "Put into service").

The description that this OP gives matches a car that was punched and sold as Used. I have leased BMWs in the past that were punched like this and sold as (leased as) used cars, with a warranty that started a couple months before I leased them.

This car was probably punched to meet sales numbers, which is the reason dealers normally do this.

So, OP, was this car sold as NEW or USED? Remember, that has nothing to do with how many miles it had on it, whether someone told you it was driven or not, whether they said it was a demo, etc. It has only to do with the designation on the paperwork of "NEW" or "USED".

Reactions: Tam
So, OP, was this car sold as NEW or USED? Remember, that has nothing to do with how many miles it had on it, whether someone told you it was driven or not, whether they said it was a demo, etc. It has only to do with the designation on the paperwork of "NEW" or "USED".

Yup. I bought my first Model S 2013 P85+ in 2014 with 8000 miles on it. It was used as a demo car, but still sold to me as "new" (or "inventory") and both warranties started on my delivery date.

I assume it is a demo just not driven. Putting a car on display is actually where the term "demo" came from. It isn't to "demo" the car.

Not here. "Demo" can mean a showroom car, a car that was used for test drives, or even a service loaner car (although they don't do this much anymoe). https://www.tesla.com/ms/order/5YJS206_76e9533fabf35a1689fed276d717f963

Tesla is secretive when selling used cars as new.

Tesla can not legally sell a used car as new. And they fully disclose when a car was used as a demo (see link above). It's the law.

Last edited:
Yup. I bought my first Model S 2013 P85+ in 2014 with 8000 miles on it. It was used as a demo car, but still sold to me as "new" (or "inventory") and both warranties started on my delivery date.

Not here. "Demo" can mean a showroom car, a car that was used for test drives, or even a service loaner car (although they don't do this much anymoe). https://www.tesla.com/ms/order/5YJS206_76e9533fabf35a1689fed276d717f963

Tesla can not legally sell a used car as new. And they fully disclose when a car was used as a demo (see link above). It's the law.
Not sure why you say, "not here". A display car is definitely a demo. DEMONSTARTION is where the word comes from. Tesla gibberish doesn't change the term. Also, you may say that it's the law and tesla "discloses" but the issue is that people buying USED demos seem to "think" their cars are new. Perhaps people should read the fine print, because that is considered disclosure, too. That is also the law. So what? I never understand the intense rationalizing that goes into play to PRETEND that a car trashed by the dealership is the same as the one right off the line. People should be happy to get their discount and move along. The rest of us prefer NEW instead of $500 off.

Also, you may say that it's the law and tesla "discloses" but the issue is that people buying USED demos seem to "think" their cars are new.
The Term "Demo" doesnt mean anything legally, but NEW and USED are legal terms. It is entirely possible to have a car that was a "DEMO" but has zero miles on it, and is being sold as USED, or the same car being sold as NEW.

Most people dont tend to care about legal terms related to NEW and USED though, so if the car has zero miles on it they will call it a new car, even if its legally used.

Conversely, its entirely possible to have a car that was a demo and driven thousands of miles (See @HankLloydRight 's example). I have my own personal example of doing that. In my case it was a demo BMW that had just under 5000 miles on it, however it had never been "punched" so the car was SOLD AS "NEW". Legally, it was a new car. In actuality, it was obviously used before, but that doesnt matter for the legal definition of new vs used, nor does the fact it had 5k miles on it matter for that definition.

Regular people latch onto the word "demo" like it means something, but it doesnt mean anything for how the car was actually used. Could have been sitting in a show room, could have been driven, could have even been used as a gopher car for the dealership to run errands. All three of those circumstances could be a called a demo, but whether the car is legally New or Used when a person buys it depends on whether the car was sold previously or not, even if that "sold previously" was the dealership selling the car to itself.

A dealer does not HAVE to sell a car to themselves to use it as a demo. They usually dont, because they want to sell the car as New when they get done with it, as that is most advantageous for the purchaser (tax reasons, warranty etc).

Traditional dealers usually only sell a car to themselves that they are using as a demo to meet sales numbers (like escalation clauses that say they need to sell X number of Y to get paid 4% per car vs 3% per car back end money from the manufacturer.

Anyway, the TL ; DR of this is, "ALL car buyers should completely ignore the word "Demo / Demonstration" vehicle when a car dealer uses the term because it means absolutely nothing. It tells zero about how the car was used, legally. Its no different than a car dealer saying "this car was owned by a senior citizen who only drove it to the store on weekends." They should instead focus on whether the car is being sold to them as NEW vs USED (which matters for things like Tax rebates, warranty start date, etc) and the actual condition of the car.

Reactions: Jangy
The dealer's ownership of a brand-new car is not registered as the first owner on the title. It doesn't even have its own individual license plate. If needed, it would have a generic dealership plate that can be used on any brand-new VIN at that dealership.
They can or can not register it that way. Thats what punching a car is. They normally dont, because there is too much advantage not to, but yes it happens.

Reactions: Jangy
One other thing I should say, is that everything I said in this thread was said from the vantage point of "United States". I just noticed the OP is in Canada. I have no idea what is or is not rules around new and used vehicles in Canada. It may be similar, or it may not.

Yeah so they got back to me, and said "the car is new, it was unused and undriven, but it was put into 'service' for tesla, and because of that, you warranty is shorter".

Sale person who originally sold it to me said it was "new, but you get a huge discount because we want to get rid of the 2023 models".

I don't know how the consumer law works elsewhere but in the US, the new car warranty doesn't start until an owner signs to accept the delivery.
There is no such law, and the Tesla new vehicle warranty states explicitly when it starts.

IMG_0323.jpeg

Reactions: Tam
Not sure why you say, "not here". A display car is definitely a demo. DEMONSTARTION is where the word comes from. Tesla gibberish doesn't change the term.

thank you captain obvious for mansplaining where the term "demo" comes from. :rolleyes: It's still completely meaningless in this context. As clearly mentioned above, a Tesla "demo" could be a showroom car, an executive car, a service loaner, or any/all of the above. "Demo" does not JUST mean "showroom car" as you asserted here:

I assume it is a demo just not driven. Putting a car on display is actually where the term "demo" came from.

Also, you may say that it's the law and tesla "discloses" but the issue is that people buying USED demos seem to "think" their cars are new

See the link in my previous post. Tesla does not hide the fact that some cars being sold as "new" have significant mileage on them, but they are still sold as "new" (i.e. not punched).

And you are still conflating the LEGAL term "USED" with "NEW". There is no such confusion here. A demo car with 3000 miles on it, being sold as an new/inventory car is still a NEW CAR, not USED. Sure, it's "used" in the sense it's been driven, but it's not LEGALLY "used" in terms of how it's been sold (in the US anyway). Some people are happy to get a big discount for a new/inventory car with a few miles put on them. Still not "USED". For my P85+, the discount was over $10k. And when I picked it up, not you, me, or anyone could tell it had 8k miles on it. It looked and felt brand new. I was good with that.

Reactions: ucmndd
thank you captain obvious for mansplaining where the term "demo" comes from. :rolleyes: It's still completely meaningless in this context. As clearly mentioned above, a Tesla "demo" could be a showroom car, an executive car, a service loaner, or any/all of the above. "Demo" does not JUST mean "showroom car" as you asserted here:

See the link in my previous post. Tesla does not hide the fact that some cars being sold as "new" have significant mileage on them, but they are still sold as "new" (i.e. not punched).

And you are still conflating the LEGAL term "USED" with "NEW". There is no such confusion here. A demo car with 3000 miles on it, being sold as an new/inventory car is still a NEW CAR, not USED. Sure, it's "used" in the sense it's been driven, but it's not LEGALLY "used" in terms of how it's been sold (in the US anyway). Some people are happy to get a big discount for a new/inventory car with a few miles put on them. Still not "USED". For my P85+, the discount was over $10k. And when I picked it up, not you, me, or anyone could tell it had 8k miles on it. It looked and felt brand new. I was good with that.
As you say, "it LOOKED and FELT new". Be happy with your USED car. There's nothing wrong with saving money and getting a used car. The beauty is how deep you need to go to rationalize it. Used, Ragged Out, Worn OUT, etc. are NOT legal terms. Anything BUT NEW is USED. HAHA!! This is cute.

As you say, "it LOOKED and FELT new". Be happy with your USED car. There's nothing wrong with saving money and getting a used car. The beauty is how deep you need to go to rationalize it. Used, Ragged Out, Worn OUT, etc. are NOT legal terms. Anything BUT NEW is USED. HAHA!! This is cute.

Dude, get over yourself already and just let it go. We are NOT CONCERNED with your definition of "USED". There is only one LEGAL definition here (in the U.S) w/r/t Tesla selling cars -- and that's "NEW" and UNTITLED cars (which includes inventory and demo/service/showroom/loaner cars), and "USED" which have been sold and titled to someone else first. Tesla makes it very clear what you are buying. There is no deceit, shadyness, nor hand waving here. That's it.

If you don't like it, that's fine, but your definition is still completely meaningless in this context.

Reactions: ucmndd