Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New AWD order - almost ready for delivery 2 days later- Should I be worried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After visiting my local SF Bay area showroom last week, doing a test drive and looking for an AWD inventory car with no luck I ended up placing an online order on Sat night. Delivery was listed between Nov 2018 to Jan 2019 on the website. I wanted to be sure to take advantage of the Federal and state rebates prior to the end of the year and figured I'd have a couple months to educate myself, decide if I want the 19" wheels, update my home charger etc. I also have a current e-golf lease and will most likely end it early.

So skip to today and I just got a text from the person who took me on the these drive on Friday. She mentioned that she saw I placed an order and she checked inventory and low and behold she found a car that matches my config (Blue AWD M3, Black interior, 18" wheels) and it's almost ready for delivery!

So my question is: Should I be concerned this might be a car that was returned for issues like poor paint work or many of the other delivery issues I'm reading about? Two days seems very fast for an AWD M3 in blue, no?

Are there any questions I can ask to make sure this is indeed a new, off the assembly line car? All comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

After visiting my local SF Bay area showroom last week, doing a test drive and looking for an AWD inventory car with no luck I ended up placing an online order on Sat night. Delivery was listed between Nov 2018 to Jan 2019 on the website. I wanted to be sure to take advantage of the Federal and state rebates prior to the end of the year and figured I'd have a couple months to educate myself, decide if I want the 19" wheels, update my home charger etc. I also have a current e-golf lease and will most likely end it early.

So skip to today and I just got a text from the person who took me on the these drive on Friday. She mentioned that she saw I placed an order and she checked inventory and low and behold she found a car that matches my config (Blue AWD M3, Black interior, 18" wheels) and it's almost ready for delivery!

So my question is: Should I be concerned this might be a car that was returned for issues like poor paint work or many of the other delivery issues I'm reading about? Two days seems very fast for an AWD M3 in blue, no?

Are there any questions I can ask to make sure this is indeed a new, off the assembly line car? All comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If we follow the Q3 numbers,, Tesla produced ~ 53K and delivered ~ 58K (all guesstimate at this point till official numbers are out) in addition to the carryover from Q2 which is ~ 10K. so there is not much out there as returns or inventory as the last two days they produced around 2K M3's. You are lucky and just grab it and enjoy it quick.. if any small problems, Tesla is going to take care of it anyway.

I would not be concerned. I had a similar situation, I was considering ordering an AWD on Sep 21, the sales guy I was working with told me if I changed my paint color from white to obsidian black I could take delivery before end of Sep. I was worried it would be a "reject" but my car is in excellent shape, there were two small paint problems and the charge port doesn't sit flush, nothing major and they're going to fix it up for free.

So, let's say you do get a "reject". In that case all the problems have already been fixed. Is it really a big deal to you if some paint damage was repaired, or worst case, some electronics were replaced? Now you've already got all the repairs done and are likely to not have problems.

Just my $0.02 . I also think demand is not as high on the AWD as they want you to believe.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I would not be concerned. I had a similar situation, I was considering ordering an AWD on Sep 21, the sales guy I was working with told me if I changed my paint color from white to obsidian black I could take delivery before end of Sep. I was worried it would be a "reject" but my car is in excellent shape, there were two small paint problems and the charge port doesn't sit flush, nothing major and they're going to fix it up for free.

So, let's say you do get a "reject". In that case all the problems have already been fixed. Is it really a big deal to you if some paint damage was repaired, or worst case, some electronics were replaced? Now you've already got all the repairs done and are likely to not have problems.

Just my $0.02 . I also think demand is not as high on the AWD as they want you to believe.
Then why are early reservation holders still waiting for theirs?

@Xpress get the 19's :p Heck if you were closer I'd swap for my 18's I'll be getting on mine plus $1600 (to cover tax :p) They are not an option for the M3P- so I would imagine you could make someone happy :)

Configured June 27th and I was told there are no red AWD with 19’s and I have to wait for a car to roll off the line. Looks to me like demand is just fine.

Don’t tell my girlfriend... I had placed that exact same order (plus EAP) a couple weeks ago. Then I changed to a P partly justified by ensuring that I’d get the full tax credit.

In Montreal, they had 6 cancellations last week (bad credit, pure cancellation, etc.) and offered the cars on the market on a first come, first serve. Cars were on site. They all pop-out in 1 or 2 days. Maybe something like this.

Then why are early reservation holders still waiting for theirs?

I didn't say that demand did not exceed Q3 supply. What I meant was that I don't think you'll actually be waiting 4 months for an AWD at this point. I do think that Tesla is prioritizing new orders over longstanding reservations (otherwise, why would I have gotten an opportunity to take AWD delivery in one week when I hadn't even placed my reservation yet?). I think they know that if you held on to the reservation this long you are likely to wait another month or two, while somebody off the street may change their mind.