Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery degradation monitoring tool

Is your TM3 doing better or worse than this average data?

• My TM3 is doing better

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • My TM3 is doing about the same

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • My TM3 is doing worse

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 2890BE0F-4809-4F68-9159-298BD6464AF9.jpeg
    2890BE0F-4809-4F68-9159-298BD6464AF9.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 64
The 2018 Model 3 seems to be tracking the same deg line as the 2016 Model X. Nearly horizontal up to 1year, then a kink in the deg line, and a 3.7% decline/yr afterward. Still too short a time period to draw any serious conclusions.

I just passed a year, and am showing 100%, but who can tell a 2/3rd of a mile diff?

Reactions: hcdavis3
This "tool" isn't so useful because we don't know the distance people drove nor the methodology for how they determined the degradation.
Also, in a car like the Model 3 Tesla has done updates that have increased, then decreased then increased again the maximum range.
Is this a symptom of a writer wanting to write an article rather than an engineering driven tool?
Needed: more STEM in schools

I like how people talk about years and not miles. 5 years old model 3 with 14k miles vs 2 year old model 3 with 85k miles - do you compare them? I read that article and thought it was of no value.

Good point. Time does have some influence and miles should average out if they have enough stats. So it's not useless.

I'm not sure you can assess how well the Model 3 will do in 3 years from so little data. But the little data that is there doesn't look like it will be less 10% in 6 years to me. String downward trend in year 2 for 2018 Model Year. Another year might have better stats. The changes in software over the past year might skew things too (bias it to look better than it is). All RWD Long Range Model 3 should have been at 325 miles from the start.

The Developer of the Stats app has another App out that I think does do degradation based on miles.

Model S/X look pretty good except a couple select years.

Chevy Volt looks great, but might be partly be how they "hide" some headroom.

I think initially Tesla might have hide some headroom on the Model 3 and the degradation threads went through the roof when they exposed it.

EDIT: I read some of the article and I thought it was pretty good. They actually comment on the fact miles had little to do with degradation. They also commented on the Volt and why it looks better than it really is.

Last edited: