Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Cal fire code for Powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat. Tesla was supposed to install mine next week and now they have staffing issues and have pushed it out after Jan 1.:(

I told them I was not happy based on this issue (and the tax credit) and asked them to give me a definitive answer on this issue. It's a show stopper for me if I cannot mount them both on my stand alone garage exterior walls.
Let us know what they say, cannot believe this new code is correct.

Has anyone seen any updates on whether this new code is being enforced, or if it has been impacting the way Tesla designs the installations? I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on 2-3 units, but this spacing stuff is really worrying me.

A member here who also appears to be a solar / powerwall installer has mentioned some difficulties he is running into in northern california in places...
Santa Clara County retroactively Changing ESS Rules

I guess the answer depends on what your local city government states.

Reactions: jimmyz80
Has anyone seen any updates on whether this new code is being enforced, or if it has been impacting the way Tesla designs the installations? I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on 2-3 units, but this spacing stuff is really worrying me.

Had my 2 powerwalls installed in March. No issues at all. I was worried also, but turned out to be a non-issue for me. Someone pointed out that the law only applies to commercial, or at least structures not covered by California residential building codes.

• Informative
Reactions: diyguy and jimmyz80
We are currently installing two Powerwalls in our separate three car garage in Pleasanton, CA and The batteries were installed one foot apart. We are not finished with the install, it is going on a third day, but we were just told by the installers that City codes locally insist that Energy Storage Systems of 20 MW or more must be separated by 3 feet. HAs anyone had experience with these rules in California? We are not looking forward to remounting the Powerwalls someplace else if we can help it.

We are currently installing two Powerwalls in our separate three car garage in Pleasanton, CA and The batteries were installed one foot apart. We are not finished with the install, it is going on a third day, but we were just told by the installers that City codes locally insist that Energy Storage Systems of 20 MW or more must be separated by 3 feet. HAs anyone had experience with these rules in California? We are not looking forward to remounting the Powerwalls someplace else if we can help it.

You probably want one of these threads where the topic is discussed quite a bit:

I am no where near an expert on this, but the thread you ressurected was from 2019 when all this was "new" and before the 2020 NEC codes were adopted (so 3-4 years ago).

The codes in force now are the 2020 codes and you can read more about it in the "santa clara county" thread, nearer to the end.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vines