Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Cal fire code for Powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 608.1 scope for 20kWh systems doesn't require spacing away from walls. In 608.2.3, it says 50kWh systems require separation. So it doesn't seem like a big deal unless you have 4 or more Powerwalls. Right?
608.2.3 says"Storage batteries . . . shall be segregated into stationary battery arrays not exceeding 50 kWh (180 Megajoules) each. Each stationary battery array shall be spaced a minimum 3 feet (914 mm) from other stationary battery arrays and from walls in the storage room or area."

So systems under 50 kWh are not exempted from 608.2.3. But systems under 20 kWh are exempt from 608 per 608.1.

If you have one Powerwall, it is clearly exempt. If you have two or more Powerwalls, you'd have to argue that each Powerwall is a separate system, or else comply with 608, including 608.2.3.

Cheers, Wayne

Our solar contractor in SF informed us August 27th that there is now a new permit process being implemented which will be much more rigorous than the previous plan check process. Reportedly has affected existing permits in addition to our new one for a 2 Powerwall system. They've advised reducing to a single Powerwall until they get more direction from SF DBI.

Has anyone hit the new fire code requirements when designing or permitting a Powerwall in CA. The new rules seem pretty onerous, especially the one about the powerwalls needing to be, er, 3 feet from any wall:

Challenges for batteries in the California fire code

I just had a system installed for a client in San Francisco. When the installer called for a final inspection the Department of Building Inspection revoked the permit ( never before in twenty years working in San Francisco) and said they were retroactively moving to the new code and would not allow the installation of our double power wall system. We are in a 1 hour enclosure garage with no sprinklers. Now we have two dead batteries hanging on the wall that can’t be used. I am hoping one of the rocket scientists at Tesla can do the same magic they do with their cars, Turn our two 13KWH walls into two 9.9KWH walls thus keeping us under the 20 KWH threshold and allowing us to exceed the 30 amp per wall circuit limit. Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions

Attachments

• 34869656-0EEC-499A-ACFF-E583B74DAA85.jpeg
    34869656-0EEC-499A-ACFF-E583B74DAA85.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 2,184
I find it hard to understand the purpose of these new rules. If two 13kWh powerwalls installed in a garage less than 3' from the wall and less than 10' from the entry are in violation, how is it that you can park two EVs with 100kWh batteries in the same garage, less than 3' apart and less than 3' from the wall? Granted, EVs aren't stationary, but isn't the perceived hazard greater? Will EVs be forced to park on the street next?

I find it hard to understand the purpose of these new rules. If two 13kWh powerwalls installed in a garage less than 3' from the wall and less than 10' from the entry are in violation, how is it that you can park two EVs with 100kWh batteries in the same garage, less than 3' apart and less than 3' from the wall? Granted, EVs aren't stationary, but isn't the perceived hazard greater? Will EVs be forced to park on the street next?

Shhh...don't give anyone ideas. :eek:

Bruce.

My generator is enough to run a fridge and charge a few phones. That is enough for me. After all, have not used it in a decade, at our last power outage which I think lasted 2 hours or less.

And I know that solar is required after 2020, but how does the new CA building codes effect installing a powerwall?

I think you know, but just to clarify in case others get the wrong idea, solar is required only for new residential builds. And it’s not even a requirement for the panels to be on the roof. As long as some of the energy pulled into the home comes from solar, regardless of whether it’s from an HOA community solar farm, or a solar farm 100 miles away, it meets requirement.

Regarding the building code for batteries, interpretation of the new code shows installing one battery on the wall is fine.
But, with more than one battery installed inside, there has to be at least 3 feet separation from each battery, walls of the garage/home, and other equipment. There goes that second car space in the garage. 4-inch diameter steel bollards, no less than 3 feet tall, to protect against vehicle impact.

Exterior placements require it to be on a pedestal, and minimum 5 feet from lot lines and public ways. 10 feet minimum from any means of egress from a nearby building. Must be secured from unauthorized access such as with fencing all around.

But, it’s said that some of these requirements can be exempt by local jurisdiction. So, nothing concrete, and no definitive guidelines yet from any city that I know of. Although, some people in San Francisco has already run into trouble with 2 PWs mounted traditionally on the wall (installer had no idea of changed rules).