Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car standard maintenance and cost during the warranty period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car arrives next week and I’m curious to know what’s included under the warranty. Also, what’s the service recommendations and cost under the warranty period.

I read somewhere that the annual service was $600. This is covered under the warranty and what do they do for the 600 if not. Did they cover tire rotations?

The annual service isn’t a fixed price, and doesn’t really need to be done annually depending on your mileage. I do our “annual” service every other year, and it might cost around $300. They’ll check your tires to see if a rotation is needed. Some service centers charge for rotations, some don’t.

You can find a copy of the owner's manual online and see exactly what services are recommended. I bet you can also find a copy of the warranty. It is pretty much a standard bumper to bumper warranty.

I have had my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Perf for over 4 years. This is what I vaguely remember paying for maintenance for the first two years:

-Tire rotation every 6,250 ($65 for mobile service)
-Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years
-Test of Break Fluid every 2 years
-Wheel alignment one time
-New Tires at 27,000 (due to the performance summer tires that come standard on the M3P), but that occurred in my 3rd year of ownership.

I think the service at the end of the second year was around $110 and was done by mobile service at my home. I had a couple warranty items replaced at no charge.

Overall the cost of maintenance has been WAY less than my old 2016 Subaru WRX.

You can find a copy of the owner's manual online and see exactly what services are recommended.

The online manual is here:

The new car vehicle warranty document is here:

I read somewhere that the annual service was $600
I have had my model 3 since december of 2018 and there is no "annual maintenance" schedule that I am aware of, so I have no idea where you read that.

You can find a copy of the owner's manual online and see exactly what services are recommended. I bet you can also find a copy of the warranty. It is pretty much a standard bumper to bumper warranty.

I have had my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Perf for over 4 years. This is what I vaguely remember paying for maintenance for the first two years:

-Tire rotation every 6,250 ($65 for mobile service)
-Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years
-Test of Break Fluid every 2 years
-Wheel alignment one time
-New Tires at 27,000 (due to the performance summer tires that come standard on the M3P), but that occurred in my 3rd year of ownership.

I think the service at the end of the second year was around $110 and was done by mobile service at my home. I had a couple warranty items replaced at no charge.

Overall the cost of maintenance has been WAY less than my old 2016 Subaru WRX.
The only other regular service not listed above is servicing the brakes annually which is only applicable to those of us that operate the vehicle in northern climates that are subject to road salt/snow. This is due to corrosion build up on the brake components because they are so seldom used with regenerative braking. I do this service myself as it is not too complex but I imagine Tesla would charge the equivalent of 1-2 hours of labor.

• Never take your car to a Tesla Service Center unless you have no other choice
  • I suggest not using Mobile Service for tire rotations, take it to Discount Tire. Not only will Discount Tire do the rotation for free (at most locations) they will do a proper cross-rotation. Mobile Service can only do a front-to-back rotation because they do not bring enough equipment to do it as recommended by tire manufacturers.
  • The cabin air filter is a fairly easy DIY item, lots of YouTube videos on how to do it. You can get the filter from the Tesla Service Center or just go online (Amazon).
  • A tire alignment is a good idea, but not at Tesla as they grossly overcharge and will take all day to do it. Most, but not all, brake and tire shops can do an alignment in about an hour for way less. Call first!
  • You can buy a brake fluid tester for about $10. If you want a pro to check it, again, pretty much any tire shop will do.
  • A lot of people run through car tires very quickly. Often, but not always, the tires delivered with the car are not of high quality. If you are leasing you will definitely need a new set before you turn in the Car. Many people put a set of really good tires on their car right away and then, before the lease turn in, mount the set that came with the car.
  • If they 12V battery fails within the first 4-years, the replacement is a warranty item

Welcome to Tesla and enjoy your car!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Grossly over charge is not a fair comment. Tesla charges according to their costs of providing the services. Other independent companies will offer things like tire rotations or inspections to get you in the door so they can hopefully sell you some other services.
That said, is is great to shop around for your best deal on services.
Tesla used to recommend an annual service and safety inspection. Over time they have discovered that these are not really necessary, and restated their service needs. They used to recommend semi-annual gear lube drain and refill, but through internal testing found that it is not really necessary, and an un-needed expense.
Compared to a competitive ICE vehicle, Teslas seem to require far less periodic maintenance in most cases.
People in harsh climates or service will require more frequent service, but generally many find their Tesla experience to be trouble free.
Like all products, there will also be some plagued by issues. Those are the ones generall the loudest for obvious reasons.

I'm 3hrs away from a Service Center, so I only take it there if it's only something they can do, like replace control arms, or some faulty wiring harness recall. That sort of thing. So:
4yrs and 44k miles, I've replaced the 12v, with an $85 OEM battery picked up at the SC. Takes 10-15mins. Easy. On my 3rd set of tires. The local tire shop will swap and balance them. I rotate them about 2x a year, and check the brake pads and rotors while I'm at it. I use a fluid tester on the brake fluid. Two alignments done by the same local tire shop, about $110 each. One cabin filter, replaced by myself. One set of Bosch wipers. 2 bottles of washer fluid. I may be due a new set of wipers and a new cabin filter this summer.

I had the SC look over my car last month since my 4yr warranty was up, but they said there wasn't anything specific that they do, so I told them to check the suspension and brakes. NC.

Reactions: ATPMSD