Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New charge port LED placement is horrendous.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dcmpls

LR/21s/MSM/White
Jun 20, 2021
Minneapolis
I really need to know who was sleeping behind the wheel when they decided to put the charge indicator where it now is in the model s and x. I beat this update, and I couldn’t be happier. For the price-point it does seem they could have stuck with the ring surrounding the port.

As a designer, I can’t avoid wincing at the placement. At minimum they could have spaced it evenly from the edges.

TL;DR I hate value engineering when it’s this noticeable.

Attachments

• D899414E-6E93-458A-803B-BF1D9D126A4A.jpeg
    D899414E-6E93-458A-803B-BF1D9D126A4A.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 1,123
second to the idea of having the indicator ring around the port, personally the placement now doesn't really bother me that much but Tesla can definitely do a better job at designing this. I love how Rivian R1T utilize the head/rear light as a charging indicator as well, such a huge missed opportunity for Tesla to have something likes this for S/X, espeically when they just refresh the lights for both models this year

1648648665096.png

Reactions: dcmpls
Perhaps worth noting it looks like someone tried to get even spacing of the LED before someone changed the door shape. I still don’t get why it couldn’t be to the left of the charge port or again, just continue to integrate the LED into the charge port since that has to be custom anyway.

Attachments

• 92366D3D-299A-44E6-B45E-BCF8C7FCFF08.jpeg
    92366D3D-299A-44E6-B45E-BCF8C7FCFF08.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 189
I don't own the new Model S but I was commenting on the new port/door solution in another thread. It makes no sense why they would change it w/o making it better. It seems like a step back in several ways. What's up with the weird forward door hinge thing? The cleaner look is having it hinge from the top straight up and then it might even offer some limited protection from rain and/or sun being directly above it. I know that's a stretch but it's at least something whereas the correct hinge method offers... well... nothing. This one is a mystery to me and seems another in the long list of regressions that Tesla has been introducing the last several years. It's like they take two steps forward and then one small one back on random stuff they should have just left well enough alone. It's like they've done some many things that now they're just randomly changing stuff for the sake of different with almost no thought being given to actually making it better or simply leaving it alone. I get they had to re-arrange this area for the new CCS provisions that are likely coming but there's far better ways to to implement this.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
This will make it a universal charge port area for the world markets. There are more than 2 different ports on the model S in the world, and adapters will be needed in most markets to allow for other available charge port types in the local market. The US will likely get a standard in the next year or two, and it will probably be CCS1, but who knows. Anyway, the design looks like it will support most port types with the least major redesign for each market.

This will make it a universal charge port area for the world markets. There are more than 2 different ports on the model S in the world, and adapters will be needed in most markets to allow for other available charge port types in the local market. The US will likely get a standard in the next year or two, and it will probably be CCS1, but who knows. Anyway, the design looks like it will support most port types with the least major redesign for each market.
I’m entirely onboard with a universal charge door and maybe even a standard port eventually. I just don’t see what was wrong with the hinge placement and charge led before. You *can* run leds around the perimeter of both styles of charge port. Current execution seems rushed.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Yeah, some people in the other refresh 2.0 thread seemed to love the new charge port design. Totally disagree though, it's comically big for an NA-Tesla charge port and loses the light ring, a small but distinguishing feature between the S/X vs. 3/Y. Yet another data pt showing the S/X are mere afterthoughts and I guess they should be given the volume diff and not moving the needle towards a sustainable future (anymore).