Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New corvette break in period.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching Jay Leno’s garage and he drove the new Vette. They mentioned a total of 4 times that the engine is limited 15-20% for the first 500 miles so there’s no damage to the engine or other components.

They made a really big deal about it. The Chevy guy said he sees people do a burn out leaving the dealership and it’s so bad for the car. They decided to limit it.

I couldn’t tell if this will be on all production cars or just this test mule but found it really interesting.

When I bought my first Tesla I asked at delivery what the break in period was and they said there isn’t one. I drove slow the whole way home until I could confirm online.

I for one am really excited about the C8, just crazy that they have to possibly limit the power on first 500 miles. Did they do that on the Z06?

You might be more likely to find answers to that sort of specific question on a 'Vette forum. An interesting move if true that Chevy did that sort of software limiting. And neatly solves the stated observed antipattern behavior. I wonder how many new buyers complained that their cars were not performing as expected?

Reactions: tvad
I was watching Jay Leno’s garage and he drove the new Vette. They mentioned a total of 4 times that the engine is limited 15-20% for the first 500 miles so there’s no damage to the engine or other components.

They made a really big deal about it. The Chevy guy said he sees people do a burn out leaving the dealership and it’s so bad for the car. They decided to limit it.

I couldn’t tell if this will be on all production cars or just this test mule but found it really interesting.

When I bought my first Tesla I asked at delivery what the break in period was and they said there isn’t one. I drove slow the whole way home until I could confirm online.

I for one am really excited about the C8, just crazy that they have to possibly limit the power on first 500 miles. Did they do that on the Z06?

Wrong forum.

Has nothing to do with a model 3.

• Love
It would be a smart move by Chevy. The first 1000 km should be driven more prudently. For the ICE do not drive a constant speed for extended period, let it warm up completely before stomping on it. Not really a big deal. Although with the Tesla the motors may not need a break in not sure about the rest of it. Still probably not a good idea to smash the peddle when the vehicle has not been warmed up.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I can't believe there are answers to a corvette question in a model 3 forum.
Some of us are car enthusiasts and don't just have our heads in the sand and are aware of these things.

OP, it's becoming more common. For the performance cars I've had in the past, and my current Chevy SS, I didn't drive at the same speed for long periods of time, nor did I rev past about 5,000 RPMs the first 500 miles, and didn't floor it/redline it until after 1,000 miles, I try and do the first oil chance around 1,000-1,500 miles to get potential metal and other contaminants out of the engine.

In be4 "This is why I'll never own another ICE car" comments.

Reactions: ACA Man
Some of us are car enthusiasts and don't just have our heads in the sand and are aware of these things.

OP, it's becoming more common. For the performance cars I've had in the past, and my current Chevy SS, I didn't drive at the same speed for long periods of time, nor did I rev past about 5,000 RPMs the first 500 miles, and didn't floor it/redline it until after 1,000 miles, I try and do the first oil chance around 1,000-1,500 miles to get potential metal and other contaminants out of the engine.

In be4 "This is why I'll never own another ICE car" comments.

There is a rule to the forum.

It has nothing to do with enthusiasm or anything buried in the sand.

There is a long standing debate on how to break in an engine. Very easily or right to the limit. I broke in my R6 by running it up to redline a few times and changing the oil after about 10 miles of doing so. it went through several seasons of racing with no problems. That being said, if i broke it in easy it very well might have been the exact same.

Reactions: Nocturnal
The owners manuals of my past ICE cars explained explicitly the recommended break-in process. For the Pirus C, it suggested not taking it above 75 MPH or driving at the same speed for extended periods during the inaugural 500 miles. For a late 1990s VW, it suggested simply not taking it above (as I recall) 5,500 RPM or 70 MPH. I don't know why there would be debate if there are instructions right there in the manual.

The owners manuals of my past ICE cars explained explicitly the recommended break-in process. For the Pirus C, it suggested not taking it above 75 MPH or driving at the same speed for extended periods during the inaugural 500 miles. For a late 1990s VW, it suggested simply not taking it above (as I recall) 5,500 RPM or 70 MPH. I don't know why there would be debate if there are instructions right there in the manual.
I didn't realize Prius' could go that fast anyway. :D

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig