Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New corvette break in period.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heck, I never seen them going past whatever the speed limit is on that particular road they're currently driving on.
That's probably because most people driving them are very conscious of fuel economy, and realize that every 10 MPH above 55 is a significant efficiency hit. The same is true for EVs, incidentally, because you still have to shove all that air in front of you out of the way.

When I'm not in a hurry, I'm perfectly to toodle along at the limit (or flow of traffic) in the rightmost lane, But if you're in the diamond lane out here, and doing less than ~8MPH over the limit, people get wroth with you.

There is a rule to the forum.

It has nothing to do with enthusiasm or anything buried in the sand.

I looked to see where else I could share this comment and couldn’t see where else to post it. Mods can take it down if it’s wrong.

I own 2 model 3’s and wanted to hear what others think. I appreciate those that took the time to respond with their experiences vs only took the time to say I’m an idiot for posting it here.

I’m new to Tesla in 2019. Other than the nut jobs who only like Tesla, I appreciate the feedback of those that have a Tesla and possibly some experience with other cars as well.

I’ve owned a lot of higher end cars and never had one factory limited like was described. Plenty where there was a recommendation of break in, but none where the car won’t let you.

Again thanks for those that have responded.

Tesla seems to attract three kinds of nut jobs:

Those who cannot stand Tesla even existing, despite it being an American car company,
Those who revile non-Tesla automakers for not getting up with the times, and
Those who are the true nut-jobs and eschew tribalistic tomfoolery in favor of civil discourse.

I was watching Jay Leno’s garage and he drove the new Vette. They mentioned a total of 4 times that the engine is limited 15-20% for the first 500 miles so there’s no damage to the engine or other components.

They made a really big deal about it. The Chevy guy said he sees people do a burn out leaving the dealership and it’s so bad for the car. They decided to limit it.

I couldn’t tell if this will be on all production cars or just this test mule but found it really interesting.

When I bought my first Tesla I asked at delivery what the break in period was and they said there isn’t one. I drove slow the whole way home until I could confirm online.

I for one am really excited about the C8, just crazy that they have to possibly limit the power on first 500 miles. Did they do that on the Z06?
That recommendation (for whatever it's worth) is for any ICE vehicle. From what I can tell it's better to avoid a constant RPM range than it is to avoid higher RPM but who knows. I did baby my 335i when I purchased it new by recommendation from various sources.

That recommendation (for whatever it's worth) is for any ICE vehicle. From what I can tell it's better to avoid a constant RPM range than it is to avoid higher RPM but who knows. I did baby my 335i when I purchased it new by recommendation from various sources.

Thx. Has any other car manufacturer electronically limited a car for the break in period? That’s the part that was news to me. They made it sound like the car is tuned down 15-20% for the break in period, even if you try to drive it harder, it won’t let you. Then once period is over, limit is automatically turned off and you have 100%.

Thx. Has any other car manufacturer electronically limited a car for the break in period? That’s the part that was news to me. They made it sound like the car is tuned down 15-20% for the break in period, even if you try to drive it harder, it won’t let you. Then once period is over, limit is automatically turned off and you have 100%.
Not to my knowledge, but that would make a lot of sense.

Just to put the info in the thread - if it was above, I missed it - there's a reason for the break-in period on a a gas-knocker.

The pistons and cylinders for a gasoline or diesel engine are carefully machined to match, but they are never perfect. During the first few hours of operation, they are "wearing" at an accelerated pace. This is true for all the moving part linkages, but it especially true for the seal between the pistons and the cylinders. While this happens, the engine can heat up more (friction), oil will foul more quickly, there can be more microscopic bits of metal collecting in the oil which can aggravate friction, etc. All these things can compound each other if you're red-lining an engine that hasn't had the "rough edges" gradually worn down by running it gently at various speeds for a while.

The "best" way to break in a gasoline engine is often debated, but nearly all agree that it is valuable best to break it in before driving it hard.

Electric motors have no such requirement because they have no such problem. Even if the fixed gearing can use a little bit of break-in, it's not the same kind of tight tolerance as a piston head and doesn't sit adjacent to hot combustion gases, the gears always mesh at the same fixed angle, etc. Basically, everything about it is less prone to needing much of a break-in.

I can't believe there are answers to a corvette question in a model 3 forum.

Some of us are car enthusiasts and don't just have our heads in the sand and are aware of these things.

OP, it's becoming more common. For the performance cars I've had in the past, and my current Chevy SS, I didn't drive at the same speed for long periods of time, nor did I rev past about 5,000 RPMs the first 500 miles, and didn't floor it/redline it until after 1,000 miles, I try and do the first oil chance around 1,000-1,500 miles to get potential metal and other contaminants out of the engine.

In be4 "This is why I'll never own another ICE car" comments.

There is a rule to the forum.

It has nothing to do with enthusiasm or anything buried in the sand.

I would agree that it wasn't posted in the right place, BUT, for you to state that you are surprised there's answers about Corvettes on a Model 3 forum is ignorant.

Who said anything about ignorant?

What?

ONLY Post what I really say. Don't add to it.
Saying "I can't believe there are answers to a corvette question in a model 3 forum." is ignorant in the idea that you think no one here knows anything about ICE vehicles or performance cars.

Sorry if you can't understand this.

Again.

I can't believe we are talking about the break in period of an ICE car in a Tesla Model 3 forum thread.

There are ICE car forums. Plenty of them.

However....to each his own.

Simple....that's it. No worries.

ICE car forums don’t have the majority of people owning an electric vehicle. I’m interested in what owners of Tesla think.

You must be fun at parties.