Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CPO 2 year 100k Warranty. Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took the plunge last week during the now infamous dump of high mileage CPO cars at a lower price then we have historically seen before. I am OVER excited to the point where I can't sleep :). This is going to be a very very very, did i say very long wait for the next 4-8 weeks until I can pick my MS up!

Quick stats on what I got:

2013 P85

MILEAGE:

EXTERIOR
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Grey Wheels

INTERIOR
Grey Performance Interior
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
PERFORMANCE
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
CHARGING
Free Supercharging
Twin Chargers

OPTIONS
Tech Package
Active Air Suspension
Sound Studio Package

Price: $47,500

Think this was a great deal and is everything I wanted in the look (ok maybe not the grey seats, but beggars can't be choosers).

Anyways my question at this point is I am getting a little nervous reading on the forums about other CPO purchases and complications with the cars. I know tesla will likely fix everything off the bat that is a major issue that they miss in the reconditioning process BUT my question to all of you out there is should I be nervous about the new 2 year 100k warranty these CPOs come with vs the other CPO warrant of 4 year 50k miles?

I would imagine 2 years is enough for me to have anything major go wrong get replaced or fixed but I am just curious as to why you think they began this new warranty with these high mileage CPOs? Any thoughts? Should i be concerned? Would you be?

Thanks Tesla Family!

Congratulations, and welcome to TMC. Your drivetrain is still covered by the 8-yr unlimited mileage warranty, right? I wouldn't be too concerned about the 2-yr 100k warranty on everything else.

Any idea why it's 4-8 weeks out from delivery?

@stevezzzz thanks so much for the welcome! Yes drivetrain is still covered by the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty. The period of time between now and pickup is 4-8 week based on the extensive reconditioning and safety testing Tesla does to the car now that it has been ordered, at least thats what my CPO advisor told me. From what I have been reading that seems to be normal. Hopefully its closer to the 4 then 8!

Congrats!!!

How did you come to choose the P85? I'm currently 'shopping' the CPOs aggressively and there are sooo many options, as well as a lot to choose from. I'm interested in hearing about how you narrowed it down! I won't be far behind you.

Thanks @Buster1!

Really it came down to color/options and price. I really wanted a black car with 21 grey wheels as I feel that look is just perfect and I had never seen a car with both of those in my price range until this one. there were a couple others in my price range that were 60kwh but the extra range the 85 gives you sold me. Then the fact that it came with sunroof, and sound studio package made it a reality. Now I am counting the minutes until she's mine :)

I think they are just looking to dump used cars in their fleet for a lower price range with less warranty but 47k seems a bit high from what I have seen. there were a bunch of P85 for ~$40k with around 60k miles. how come you didnt pick up one of those? there were a lot of black ones as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I think they are just looking to dump used cars in their fleet for a lower price range with less warranty but 47k seems a bit high from what I have seen. there were a bunch of P85 for ~$40k with around 60k miles. how come you didnt pick up one of those? there were a lot of black ones as well.
Those cars were all gone in the first day. 47k is still a great price and sounds like exactly what the OP was looking for. Enjoy!

The period of time between now and pickup is 4-8 week based on the extensive reconditioning and safety testing Tesla does to the car now that it has been ordered, at least thats what my CPO advisor told me.

Sure, and I have you a bridge to sell. Seriously, the reason it takes so long is because Tesla's internal logistics and communications are extremely poor.

• Funny
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
So I took the plunge last week during the now infamous dump of high mileage CPO cars at a lower price then we have historically seen before. I am OVER excited to the point where I can't sleep :). This is going to be a very very very, did i say very long wait for the next 4-8 weeks until I can pick my MS up!

Quick stats on what I got:

2013 P85

MILEAGE:

EXTERIOR
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Grey Wheels

INTERIOR
Grey Performance Interior
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
PERFORMANCE
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
CHARGING
Free Supercharging
Twin Chargers

OPTIONS
Tech Package
Active Air Suspension
Sound Studio Package

Price: $47,500

Think this was a great deal and is everything I wanted in the look (ok maybe not the grey seats, but beggars can't be choosers).

Anyways my question at this point is I am getting a little nervous reading on the forums about other CPO purchases and complications with the cars. I know tesla will likely fix everything off the bat that is a major issue that they miss in the reconditioning process BUT my question to all of you out there is should I be nervous about the new 2 year 100k warranty these CPOs come with vs the other CPO warrant of 4 year 50k miles?

I would imagine 2 years is enough for me to have anything major go wrong get replaced or fixed but I am just curious as to why you think they began this new warranty with these high mileage CPOs? Any thoughts? Should i be concerned? Would you be?

Thanks Tesla Family!

Welcome to the Tesla family! You're going to LOVE that car!!! And I don't think you need to worry about a thing. I purchased a 2012 P85 last year with very similar options and 48k miles off of this forum, and I couldn't be more pleased. The car is phenomenal and even now at nearly 70k miles, it is rock solid and as awesome as the day I drove it home. Tesla Service rocks too. Sure, there were some things that needed attention, but having it worked on gave me the opportunity to drive another Tesla. Since I don't have the extended warranty, I went over the car really good and questioned anything that didn't seem right, and Tesla Service took care of it. I have not had any issue since those first few visits. Best of luck with your purchase; the next few weeks are going to seem like an eternity.

These are personal preferences, but the three things that really surprised me about the car were (1) the sound studio package, (2) the active air suspension, and (3) the performance package. The stereo in the car is great. I'm not an audiophile and I've never spent extra to upgrade a car's stereo, but this system rocks! The bass is deep and clean and the sound fills the car. I'm sure there are better systems out there, but this is the best system I've ever heard and it makes most other systems pale in comparison. The active air suspension was a nice surprise as well. I wouldn't have selected that option if I were buying new, but after driving other Model Ss with the standard suspension, I felt like the air suspension was notably smoother, making for a much nicer (less harsh) ride. This will probably be a must have for me when I upgrade to a newer Model S. And then there is the performance package and the crazy acceleration. Yes, it is "slow" compared to the newer cars, but the instant torque and 400+ hp make it quicker than most other cars out there. It is soooo much fun to drive, sometimes I wish I had a longer commute. Enjoy!!!

Any news on the delivery front?
Talked to CPO advisor this morning who said service stated the car will be done late this week or early next week and asked me if I had any preference on delivery times!!!! I obviously told him the sooner the better so fingers crossed I can pick her up Friday or this weekend!! I will post pictures and conditions once I get the car. Literally not going to be able to sleep this week :)

Reactions: ModelX