TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New CPU/GPU?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by pdx, Oct 2, 2015.

1. pdx

pdx Member

Did anyone that attended the Model X unveil event ask about a new CPU/GPU for the Model X? The S is based on the Tegra 3 which is several years old. I'm just wondering if Tesla confirmed an upgrade there... mainly because I'm curious about retrofit options down the road for the Model S :)

I know this question was brought up prior to the event but I didn't see anything in the various threads afterwards.

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I don't recall it either. It seems current Model S owners would be able to tell from videos or the hands on experience at the event.

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

Since the Model X was running v7 software it would be hard to tell if the GPU was faster, or it's just optimized and/or drawing less stuff in the new software.

4. pdx

pdx Member

#4 pdx, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Correct. That's why I asked the question :)

5. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

don't quote me on this, but I thought I read somewhere that the specs on the center screen might be a little better but the underlying CPU/GPU are the same.

6. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Since Tesla vehicles are often described as "computers on wheels", it seems like a no-brainer to update your processing hardware when you release a new model.

7. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

Tegra 3 was upgraded to Tegra K1 at some point in the past.

8. Vizir

Vizir Member

got any source for this info?