Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Cybertruck images from earlier today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Cybertruck spotted in Palo Alto today with new camo wrap. More photos in thread.
screenshot-twitter.com-2023.06.14-01_22_59.png

CT will succeed
Tesla looks at vehicle design and use radically different and this attracts the non traditional buyer
Model Y is more mainstream and created a global buzz to becoming number one
CT will be number one in its new category that will draw others from their previous buying interest
Wranglers, Broncos, 4Runners, Model Y owners will be considering the CT
This will be amazing to see

CT will succeed
Tesla looks at vehicle design and use radically different and this attracts the non traditional buyer
Model Y is more mainstream and created a global buzz to becoming number one
CT will be number one in its new category that will draw others from their previous buying interest
Wranglers, Broncos, 4Runners, Model Y owners will be considering the CT
This will be amazing to see
Your hopeful. Ok. Maybe it will be a big seller. If and when it is released, we will see. All speculation now.

You see radical and revolutionary. I see a modernized Delorean. The basic design language is borrowed from a car designed in the late 1970s. If you add two doors, a bed, and a lift kit you have a Cybertruck.

The real disappointment is the cheap looking interior. The piece attached to the armrest specifically caught my attention, as I had that exact part on a 2010 Chevy Malibu I was forced to drive while on recruiting duty. It's just so "economy" looking, I'm surprised Tesla borrowed that design.

View attachment 948184

View attachment 948185
A prime example of Tesla's interiors suffering from a lack of textures. It might not be using cheap materials in reality, but it's the same texture and feeling everywhere you look, so it ends up boring and bland.

You see radical and revolutionary. I see a modernized Delorean. The basic design language is borrowed from a car designed in the late 1970s. If you add two doors, a bed, and a lift kit you have a Cybertruck.

The real disappointment is the cheap looking interior. The piece attached to the armrest specifically caught my attention, as I had that exact part on a 2010 Chevy Malibu I was forced to drive while on recruiting duty. It's just so "economy" looking, I'm surprised Tesla borrowed that design.

View attachment 948184

View attachment 948185
Actually, the ‘accordion’ cover for cup holders isn’t a cheap interior solution. Leaving it uncovered would be. GM designers fought for that cover.

VW group used that design in the mainstream automotive space, which until recently were regarded as the leaders in automotive interior design.

This is a truck, after all-and common alternatives to drink holder covers, leaving it uncovered and molding in trim (cheap), providing a door that is split down the middle and pivots open at the outermost edges (complicated/high failure rate/hard to open when wearing work gloves-a common complaint amongst truck users), or a cover that retracts backward like the current Model S (that takes up a lot of space, door has to recede back, and storage space is a lot larger here) all have their design issues.

I guess is understand the issue, but again this is a mass market truck, much like the Golf 7 was a mass market product, as was that generation of Malibu. The conclusions from a component design POV will be broadly similar for a number of reasons, yes cost being one, but again, no cover would be by definition, ‘cheap’.

Reactions: CyberGus
Actually, the ‘accordion’ cover for cup holders isn’t a cheap interior solution. Leaving it uncovered would be. GM designers fought for that cover.

VW group used that design in the mainstream automotive space, which until recently were regarded as the leaders in automotive interior design.

This is a truck, after all-and common alternatives to drink holder covers, leaving it uncovered and molding in trim (cheap), providing a door that is split down the middle and pivots open at the outermost edges (complicated/high failure rate/hard to open when wearing work gloves-a common complaint amongst truck users), or a cover that retracts backward like the current Model S (that takes up a lot of space, door has to recede back, and storage space is a lot larger here) all have their design issues.

I guess is understand the issue, but again this is a mass market truck, much like the Golf 7 was a mass market product, as was that generation of Malibu. The conclusions from a component design POV will be broadly similar for a number of reasons, yes cost being one, but again, no cover would be by definition, ‘cheap’.

I didn't say its a cheap solution. I said it LOOKS cheap. That's an important distinction. Tesla's "vegan leather" is a cheap solution but it doesn't LOOK cheap. They could have found a cheap solution to cover the cup holders without making it actually LOOK cheap. For example, a door as you mentioned, would look a lot better. Cup holder doors have been done hundreds of times by dozens of manufactures, surely Tesla has one or two engineers who could figure it out. The hinge doesn't have to split down the middle or be complicated. It could be a simple design like below. Leaving the cup holder uncovered would be a better design choice than installing a cheap LOOKING cover.

Screenshot_20230627-091908.png

Screenshot_20230627-093509.png

Screenshot_20230627-093737.png

Last edited:
I didn't say its a cheap solution. I said it LOOKS cheap. That's an important distinction. Tesla's "vegan leather" is a cheap solution but it doesn't LOOK cheap. They could have found a cheap solution to cover the cup holders without making it actually LOOK cheap. For example, a door as you mentioned, would look a lot better. Cup holder doors have been done hundreds of times by dozens of manufactures, surely Tesla has one or two engineers who could figure it out. The hinge doesn't have to split down the middle or be complicated. It could be a simple design like below. Leaving the cup holder uncovered would be a better design choice than installing a cheap LOOKING cover.

View attachment 951228

View attachment 951234

View attachment 951235
I think you’ve centered on my misrepresentation of your interpretation.

‘Looks cheap’

That’s what you stated. Now that I’ve represented your statement with 100 percent accuracy, your statement still can be curious to someone who designs car components for a living. To my eye, it doesn’t look cheap, we all have our biases, and obviously mine are influencing my interpretation.

However my point still stands, this is a work truck, and none of photos you’ve listed are cup holders belong to a comprable product. Why not present photos of Rolls Royce or Ferrari cup holders? Because those look cheap compared to the aspirational ones you presented.

Or we can go back to my original post, as I concluded in which for the class, and the usage issues that the Cybertruck is competitive. BTW, again, truck users hate hinged doors to access cup holders, per clinic data.
‘To my eye’

Leaving a cup holder uncovered is the cheapest solution, which can be found in a $20K Kia. We all have bias, but sharing design cues from a 70s DMC was considered a negative on this platform, but sharing design cues from a $20K entry level car is better than a cover. Interesting.
IMG_3192.jpeg
IMG_3194.jpeg

Kia Rio. Upscale?

Last edited:
I think you’ve centered on my misrepresentation of your interpretation.

‘Looks cheap’

That’s what you stated. Now that I’ve represented your statement with 100 percent accuracy, your statement still can be curious to someone who designs car components for a living. To my eye, it doesn’t look cheap, we all have our biases, and obviously mine are influencing my interpretation.

However my point still stands, this is a work truck, and none of photos you’ve listed are cup holders belong to a comprable product. Why not present photos of Rolls Royce or Ferrari cup holders? Because those look cheap compared to the aspirational ones you presented.

Or we can go back to my original post, as I concluded in which for the class, and the usage issues that the Cybertruck is competitive. BTW, again, truck users hate hinged doors to access cup holders, per clinic data.
‘To my eye’

Leaving a cup holder uncovered is the cheapest solution, which can be found in a $20K Kia. We all have bias, but sharing design cues from a 70s DMC was considered a negative on this platform, but sharing design cues from a $20K entry level car is better than a cover. Interesting.
View attachment 951246View attachment 951248
Kia Rio. Upscale?

It's funny you mentioned Kia, as I purposely specifically put a cup holder door from a Kia in that post. All three of the cup holders I attached to that post are on vehicles cheaper than the rumored price of the Cybertruck. I did that on purpose because I knew someone would bring up vehicle price. I'm not comparing the Cybertruck to a superior (more expensive) product, I'm doing the opposite.

My point is, the engineers had options that look good, don't cost a lot, and aren't complicated. If they still couldn't find a design that doesn't LOOK cheap, they should just go with an open cup holder. Cupholder doors aren't a necessity. The best selling pickup truck in history has open cup holders and an interior that looks a lot better than the Cybertruck's.

Actually, most modern day pickup trucks don't have cup holder covers and most modern day pickup trucks have better looking interiors than the Cybertruck. The cover on the Cybertruck's cup holders is making the interior look worse not better. Deleting the Cybertruck's cup holder door wouldn't take away from the interior.

As for comparisons to vehicles in the CT's class:

Nissan Frontier: No cover.

Pro-4X-interior.jpg

Nissan Titan: No cover.
2022-nissan-titan-leather-steering-wheel.png

Ford Ranger: No cover.

Next-Gen-Ranger-Raptor-Interior-LHD-2.jpg

Ford F150: No cover.

10BI MAIN ART 2021 Ford F-150 front pass seats Limited.jpg

Chevy Silverado: No cover.

22-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Interior-ClusterImage.png

Chevy Colorado: No cover.

2023-Chevrolet-Silverado-ZR2-interior-1024x683.jpg

GMC Canyon: No cover.

2023_gmc_canyon_at4x_edition1_pkg_046.62fd58333c0de.jpeg

GMC Sierra: No cover.

imageinterior.jpeg

Ram 1500: No cover.

2023-RAM-2500.jpg

Rivian R1T: A much better looking cup holder cover. (The entire arm rest slides back to reveal the cup holders)

hqdefault.jpg

Aside from the Rivian, if you want me to compare the Cybertruck's cup holder "solution" to a comparable vehicle, you're going to have to point me in the direction of another mid-full size pickup truck that is covering their cup holders. I couldn't find any others. And every interior I've found-even with their lack of cup holder covers-looks better than the Cybertruck's.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom

View attachment 948184

View attachment 948185
I suspect the final design may change. The rolling cover for the armrest struck me as matching up to the rolling cover the the actual pickup bed. Personally I don't need that kind of symmetry in my interior cabin vs the exterior pickup bed cover - but that was my initial sense when seeing this pic.

FWIW, I'm also one of the "day one" CT reservation holders for a dual motor model - though I'd likely upgrade to a tri-motor when the time comes if it's not out of sight price-wise. I currently drive a 2018 RAM 1500 Tungsten edition full sized pickup. I don't particularly like the look of the CT overall - I'm likely a bit more traditional - but the Tesla charging network reigns supreme as a marked advantage for Tesla when traveling over longer distances at least until 2024/2025 when the big three are slated to join the network and start using the NACS charging ports in their vehicles. Then the playing field will level out a bit IMHO as one of Tesla's major advantages will no longer be a differentiator.

One of the big disappointments for me personally is the lack of a fold-down mid-gate bed separator like the Chevy/GMC pickup EVs are going to have. The RAM REV 1500 concept had this as well - but the actual production RAM REV 1500 isn't going to offer this option unfortunately. This allows the use of a shorter five and half foot bed while offering bed extension capabilities on the rare occasions when someone like me needs additional bed length. I'd also submit that many a pickup owner cares about interior quality. One of the reasons I chose RAM over Chevy/GMC/Ford back in 2018 was due to interior quality. The higher end RAMs are known for having the best interiors on the market and are highly rated for their focus on interior quality. They are just as nice as most luxury cars on the market these days - it really is like riding in a luxury car in most respects. The air ride and the coil over suspensions on the RAMs make for a car like ride as well - even though the pickup still uses a body on ladder frame design. For now, I've got reservations on the GMC Sierra 1500 EV, the RAM REV 1500, and the CT at present. May the best option win! :cool:

I wouldn't say that Tesla's CT offering is going to be market leading per se - nor is it going to be revolutionary IMHO. This assertion is proven out by the mere fact that as other competitive models have already entered the market - Tesla has had to adapt the CT design to accommodate features that weren't originally on the platform. Four wheel steering comes readily to mind as a prime example. This wasn't even in the cards for the CT until the Hummer and a few other EVs announced these features - after which Tesla decided to bring these added features to the CT to narrow the gap from a competitive featureset standpoint. It remains to be seen exactly how many reservation holders actually convert their reservations into purchases given the CT is the first Tesla model that is launching into an existing market with competition already churning out EV pickups at the same time (unlike all of Tesla's prior models - where there was little to no competition in the EV marketplace at the time those models were introduced). This is especially the case in a market where flipping EV vehicles for profit is no longer really in the cards given higher interest rates, macro-economic concerns, etc. The CT will likely launch at a time when the US and possibly the world markets are facing recessionary times, or darn close to zero GDP growth - not like in times past. This isn't just a Tesla problem obviously.

Our other vehicle is a 2023 MY LR, which is my wife's daily driver, so we are Tesla owners as well and we appreciate Tesla for what it is. My wife likes the MY LR well enough at least for now - and with a few exceptions (Lucid for example), Tesla still enjoys a fairly significant efficiency advantage over most of the current EV competition - though the gaps are closing as the years go by without a doubt. Tesla's big bet is undoubtedly FSD/Robotaxi/autonomous vehicles - we shall see if they can actually win the bet so to speak. Only time will tell of course.

Reactions: Brou
IMG_3194.jpeg

It's funny you mentioned Kia, as I purposely specifically put a cup holder door from a Kia in that post. All three of the cup holders I attached to that post are on vehicles cheaper than the rumored price of the Cybertruck. I did that on purpose because I knew someone would bring up vehicle price. I'm not comparing the Cybertruck to a superior (more expensive) product, I'm doing the opposite.

My point is, the engineers had options that look good, don't cost a lot, and aren't complicated. If they still couldn't find a design that doesn't LOOK cheap, they should just go with an open cup holder. Cupholder doors aren't a necessity. The best selling pickup truck in history has open cup holders and an interior that looks a lot better than the Cybertruck's.

Actually, most modern day pickup trucks don't have cup holder covers and most modern day pickup trucks have better looking interiors than the Cybertruck. The cover on the Cybertruck's cup holders is making the interior look worse not better. Deleting the Cybertruck's cup holder door wouldn't take away from the interior.

As for comparisons to vehicles in the CT's class:

Nissan Frontier: No cover.

View attachment 951251

Nissan Titan: No cover.
View attachment 951252

Ford Ranger: No cover.

View attachment 951253

Ford F150: No cover.

View attachment 951254

Chevy Silverado: No cover.

View attachment 951255

Chevy Colorado: No cover.

View attachment 951256

GMC Canyon: No cover.

View attachment 951257

GMC Sierra: No cover.

View attachment 951258

Ram 1500: No cover.

View attachment 951259

Rivian R1T: A much better looking cup holder cover. (The entire arm rest slides back to reveal the cup holders)

View attachment 951263

Aside from the Rivian, if you want me to compare the Cybertruck's cup holder "solution" to a comparable vehicle, you're going to have to point me in the direction of another mid-full size pickup truck that is covering their cup holders. I couldn't find any others. And every interior I've found-even with their lack of cup holder covers-looks better than the Cybertruck's.
Again a work truck is about functionality. And design conclusions are always evolving.

Guess you missed the worlds best selling truck going to a full cover with a retractable shifter (latest Ford F-150)

IMG_3196.jpeg

Why? Because latest data indicates that truck users want a surface area to work on.

Again this is a next generation truck, and as a product designed driven company from an interior design POV.

So you are incorrect about the F150. It’s obviously not for you, but as you illustrated there are plenty of choices for you, I’ll be interested to see what truck you end up with that meets your criteria. Please post whatever product you end up purchasing.

Last edited:
View attachment 951247

Again a work truck is about functionality. And design conclusions are always evolving.

Guess you missed the worlds best selling truck going to a full cover with a retractable shifter (latest Ford F-150)

View attachment 951267
Why? Because latest data indicates that truck users want a surface area to work on.

Again this is a next generation truck, and as a product designed driven company from an interior design POV.

So you are incorrect about the F150. It’s obviously not for you, but as you illustrated there are plenty of choices for you, I’ll be interested to see what truck you end up with that meets your criteria. Please post whatever product you end up purchasing.
Lmfao. The reason I didn't include the F-150s "Console Work Surface" is because it isn't a cup holder cover. It's a fold out TABLE. It can't even be used when the vehicle is in gear. That's the furthest thing from being a cup holder cover, lmao.

Anyway, for the first time in the history of the internets one person's personal opinion has successfully been changed by another person's personal opinion. I no longer believe the Cybertruck's interior looks cheap. You win a thing. Congratulations! 🥳

Bye bye. ✌️

Lmfao. The reason I didn't include the F-150s "Console Work Surface" is because it isn't a cup holder cover. It's a fold out TABLE. It can't even be used when the vehicle is in gear. That's the furthest thing from being a cup holder cover, lmao.

Anyway, for the first time in the history of the internets one person's personal opinion has successfully been changed by another person's personal opinion. I no longer believe the Cybertruck's interior looks cheap. You win a thing. Congratulations! 🥳

Bye bye. ✌️
It’s a cover that allows work to be done on a surface vs having an open space. My studio has worked on similar solutions. A laptop or work tablet can fit on that surface and not fall into the exposed crevices.

No one is trying to change your opinion. But your assertions and hyperbole isn’t appreciated. I just design the damn things, but what do I know? You are welcome to challenge my assertion that the Cybertruck solution doesn’t present a flat work surface, or you can hide behind sarcasm. That’s not an opinion, or rather it is to those who buy and use the things. In which while selling products is kind of important.

• Funny
Reactions: Alset Srotom
It’s a cover that allows work to be done on a surface vs having an open space. My studio has worked on similar solutions. A laptop or work tablet can fit on that surface and not fall into the exposed crevices.

No one is trying to change your opinion. But your assertions and hyperbole isn’t appreciated. I just design the damn things, but what do I know? You are welcome to challenge my assertion that the Cybertruck solution doesn’t present a flat work surface, or you can hide behind sarcasm. That’s not an opinion, or rather it is to those who buy and use the things. In which while selling products is kind of important.

It’s not a cup holder cover. It’s a work table. Two separate things…..

And that CT cover is far from any work table, sorry but it’s just a cup holder cover to fold down that 6th seat

Reactions: Brou
And that CT cover is far from any work table, sorry but it’s just a cup holder cover to fold down that 6th seat
The two ridges (sides of the tunnel) provide stability for most laptops. The cover prevents things from falling into it. The cover is firm enough for someone to place a table by on. Not all design solutions have to look the same to serve the same broad function. We just finished a similar solution for a client. I will say that that solution was presented to a number of OEMs, but was rejected due to cost.

• Funny
The two ridges (sides of the tunnel) provide stability for most laptops. The cover prevents things from falling into it. The cover is firm enough for someone to place a table by on. Not all design solutions have to look the same to serve the same broad function. We just finished a similar solution for a client. I will say that that solution was presented to a number of OEMs, but was rejected due to cost.

Well then, it’s good to know Tesla is looking at the leader in truck sales and getting ideas of what they need to make this truck successful. That thing is so narrow it probably won’t hold and IPad Mini with keyboard they have a long way to go…

Well then, it’s good to know Tesla is looking at the leader in truck sales and getting ideas of what they need to make this truck successful. That thing is so narrow it probably won’t hold and IPad Mini with keyboard they have a long way to go…
Maybe I’m missing something, but the screen in this design is 17 inches from what I’ve been told. If it’s the same width as the Model S screen, that’s about 355 millimeters in width.

Even if the Cybertruck matches the Model S current center console width of 228mm, it should comfortably fit a MacBook Pro laptop (one of the wider examples) of 304mm, not to mention a iPad mini which you referenced. Width is less important in a workspace (i.e. +/- of 20-40mm of material) than a flatter surface.

Bye bye. ✌️
Once again your assertion was curious. A cup holder sliding cover is on upscale versions of certain trucks.

So when a cover is on lower end trucks-that ‘proves’ your narrative, (looks high end) but when it’s on higher end trims it’s an issue.

The sliding version of the CT cover design has been more robust in fleet usage vs a hinged design. Again something to consider when making these engineering decisions.

IMG_3207.jpeg

I can certainly say ‘wood veneer looks cheap’ but that might be a curious or unique conclusion, as some ‘in the know’ would associate wood grain with a more upscale presentation. But we have to digress to memes etc rather than contributing comments that are more educational.

The F-150 was included as I thought we were having an elevated discussion. These are complex decisions made with sometimes dozens of use cases and hundreds of data points. It’s not about changing an opinion.

Once again your assertion was curious. A cup holder sliding cover is on upscale versions of certain trucks.

So when a cover is on lower end trucks-that ‘proves’ your narrative, (looks high end) but when it’s on higher end trims it’s an issue.

The sliding version of the CT cover design has been more robust in fleet usage vs a hinged design. Again something to consider when making these engineering decisions.

View attachment 951357

I can certainly say ‘wood veneer looks cheap’ but that might be a curious or unique conclusion, as some ‘in the know’ would associate wood grain with a more upscale presentation. But we have to digress to memes etc rather than contributing comments that are more educational.

The F-150 was included as I thought we were having an elevated discussion. These are complex decisions made with sometimes dozens of use cases and hundreds of data points. It’s not about changing an opinion.

Lawd, Jeebus you're still going. Let's get some things straight...

Your original point was that Tesla designed it the way they did because a double-hinged split down the center door design would be too complicated.

--I showed you other vehicles that use simple one sided covers.

You moved the goal post and said the vehicles I showed using the single sided covers were more expensive than the Cybertruck and that I should show a Kia instead of a Bentley...or some such nonsense.

--I explained that one of the pictures actually WAS a Kia and all three were cheaper than the Cybertruck's rumored price.

You moved the goal post, yet again, saying those vehicles don't count because they aren't comparable to the Cybertruck.

--I showed you MANY mid and full size pickup trucks that don't have any cover at all. One that does. All with a more premium looking interior than the Cybertruck.

Again, you changed your point, this time to claiming Tesla designed it that way so it could the door could be used as a work surface (using a table, of all things to back up your post).

--I explained to you that what you finally found isn't even a cup holder cover. Further, if Tesla designed it to be used as a work surface why would they use ridges? Have you ever tried to write on a surface containing ridges? Makes for a great surface, doesn't it? Oh, you could just place a clipboard/hard surface over the cup holder cover's ridges? Well what the point of the cheap cover being there at all? Oh, it's to place laptops/tablets on? Wrong, try again. If a laptop/tablet is placed there it would rest on the edges and bridge the cover. It wouldn't even come in contact with the cover. Again, another one of your expert opinions disproven.

Now, after I gave you the 'W' and moved on, you scour the internet to find something/anything to back you up and you come up with a picture of a 22 Ram 2500, and claim it has sliding cup holder covers.

--WRONG AGAIN, but twice as wrong this time. Not only is that NOT a sliding cover. It's TWO doors AND the entire piece slides under the armrest 😂 (you know, complicated designs you claim your expert cupholder designer experience taught you truck makers don't do).

Not only were you wrong about them using a sliding door. You were wrong about truck manufacturers not wanting to use flip doors. You were wrong about them not making complicated interiors. You were wrong about cheaper vehicles using flip doors. You were wrong about competitor vehicles using doors. You were wrong about a sliding ridged door being a good work surface.

What is the point of all of this? I gave you the 'W' and you couldn't take it. So you attempted to try to change the narrative for the 8th(?) time and still failed to make whatever point you're trying to make? Why? What would I have to say for you to accept that, even with all of your failures, you win the internet award? What else do you want?

You're right. I don't think it's cheap looking. Cheaper cars don't have cup holder doors. Many comparable trucks do have cup holder doors. Cup holder doors are too complicated. Dodge's very complicated double-flip cup holder/sliding mechanism isn't a very complicated double-flip cup holder/sliding mechanism. You win. I lose. K?

🥳🥳🥳 here, throw a party. I'm done talking about cup holder doors.

G'night.

Last edited: