Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Dashcam Viewer Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your response. You say footage isn't "saved" but can only be viewed by removing your USB device and connecting to a PC. To clarify, does that mean the footage is saved to the USB up to the capacity of the drive but only one hour is viewable in the car?

No problem. Only the sentry mode events or manually saved dashcam events can be viewed in the car. Both save a 10min file only. If dashcam is enabled, it creates a view of the last 60mins only, on your usb device, however, as that 60mins is constantly being overwritten it can’t be viewed in the car. The only (current) solution to view that 60min dashcam footage is to remove the usb and connect to your PC or another source.

How about if you manually save? Would the size of the drive come into play?

I think it will go beyond 60 minutes for manual saving (either Dashcam or Sentry events). That is based on some non-scientific testing when it first came out.

I do not know how it acts now or it my testing was adequate.

I do speculate they are not making the "temporary" files available is because they record everything. Sitting in a dark garage, etc. Would likely get complaints about that. Also want people in the habit of recording and not thinking they will go back and grab it later. But, if they labeled the tab "temporary" it seams like it would be ok to me.

My understanding is.

1. Recent clips. 60 mins of recent clips, in approx 1 min blocks, are saved which is constantly being overwritten. So therefore cannot be viewed on the screen.
2. Saved clips. Are made from the above blocks by touching the dashcam icon or pressing the horn. They are made up into 10 min blocks and can be viewed.
3. Sentry clips. Are saved when the car determines that an action has occurred which must be recorded. They are 10 min blocks and can be viewed.
The recent clips use a fixed amount of your sd card or ssd. The 'saved' and 'sentry' clips use the remainder. When the cards or ssd is full the oldest is deleted to make way for the next.

Thanks Davy.

Odd that recent clips are overridden by default with no ability to view in the car. Before the update dash cam footage was saved up to the capacity of the drive. Why not continue to give us that option? Perhaps someone can incorporate a saving clips selection into one of the apps.

Before the update dash cam footage was saved up to the capacity of the drive.

This has never been the case.

The last hour was only available if you pulled the USB when you parked the car.

if you left the storage device in the car while parked then an hour later it would all be gone.

Only sentry and deliberately saved segments remain.

This hasn’t changed since the feature was first released.

Reactions: brkaus
This has never been the case.

The last hour was only available if you pulled the USB when you parked the car.

if you left the storage device in the car while parked then an hour later it would all be gone.

Only sentry and deliberately saved segments remain.

This hasn’t changed since the feature was first released.

My bad, I assumed that some of the 250 GB of files that filled my drive were also dash cam footage.

If the last 60 minutes of a drive is saved, why is that not viewable in the car?

Sorry, but I think this is misunderstood. The behaviour of dashcam/sentry hasn’t changed with this update - before the in-car viewer and the same now, the 60min of recent (temporary) dashcam footage is constantly being overwritten. Unless your drive memory size is very small (< 2GB), those temporary files, by themselves, won’t save up to the capacity of the drive. However, depending upon your drives available memory, the combination of those 60min temporary files, and the saved sentry and dashcam files, will over time reduce the capacity of your drive - unless you are regularly viewing and deleting any saved files you do not need to retain. From memory, the 60min temporary files being repeatedly overwritten use up approx 2GB of storage.

Sorry, but I think this is misunderstood. The behaviour of dashcam/sentry hasn’t changed with this update - before the in-car viewer and the same now, the 60min of recent (temporary) dashcam footage is constantly being overwritten. Unless your drive memory size is very small (< 2GB), those temporary files, by themselves, won’t save up to the capacity of the drive. However, depending upon your drives available memory, the combination of those 60min temporary files, and the saved sentry and dashcam files, will over time reduce the capacity of your drive - unless you are regularly viewing and deleting any saved files you do not need to retain. From memory, the 60min temporary files being repeatedly overwritten use up approx 2GB of storage.

On second thought, I swear that when I was on a road trip last year I was following a truck whose tire blew out. I thought that would make some interesting footage so a few days later I removed the drive found the clip. Are you saying this is no longer possible or never was?

On second thought, I swear that when I was on a road trip last year I was following a truck whose tire blew out. I thought that would make some interesting footage so a few days later I removed the drive found the clip. Are you saying this is no longer possible or never was?
Not possible, assuming:
  • More than 60mins after the event, or
  • You did not manually save the 10 mins by tapping the dashcam icon, or
  • You did not Save on Honk (if enabled) to save the last 10 mins
In my experience retrieving (unsaved) dashcam footage has never been possible if attempting more than 60mins after the event.

The owners manual (pages 92-93, for EU version unsure if diff in US) explains the current behaviour of dashcam.

Last edited:
Not possible, assuming:
  • More than 60mins after the event, or
  • You did not manually save the 10 mins by tapping the dashcam icon, or
  • You did not Save on Honk (if enabled) to save the last 10 mins
In my experience retrieving (unsaved) dashcam footage has never been possible if attempting more than 60mins after the event.

The owners manual (pages 92-93, for EU version unsure if diff in US) explains the current behaviour of dashcam.

I copied my drive before reformatting the other day. I had over 112 GB in the saved clips folder. I know I did not manually save or honk the horn more than a couple times max. I also do not remember pulling off the freeway, removing the drive and looking for the clip with the truck blowing its tire and I barely missing the shrapnel.

I copied my drive before reformatting the other day. I had over 112 GB in the saved clips folder. I know I did not manually save or honk the horn more than a couple times max. I also do not remember pulling off the freeway, removing the drive and looking for the clip with the truck blowing its tire and I barely missing the shrapnel.

It will definitely fill up with sentry mode enabled - esp if it's frequently parked in an area with lots of "action". I didn't think I saw lots of dash cam stuff saved.

I didn’t know there was a continual recording of the last sixty minutes. Is it doing that parked at home when sentry mode is not on? That doesn’t make sense! I thought the last sixty minutes of driving was automatically saved, and if this were the case then there would be no reason why you couldn’t view that footage until you drive again.

I didn’t know there was a continual recording of the last sixty minutes. Is it doing that parked at home when sentry mode is not on? That doesn’t make sense! I thought the last sixty minutes of driving was automatically saved, and if this were the case then there would be no reason why you couldn’t view that footage until you drive again.

No, that isn't how it works.

It records and keeps the last 60 mins while the car is powered up and stops recording shortly after you park and leave the car when it powers down.

It will begin recording again when you unlock and enter the car and at that moment it will delete any recordings over an hour old.

So if you want to review the last 60 mins of your drive just take the storage device with you when you leave the car.

If you don't do that and return 30 mins later to get it then you will only have 30 mins of video left...

Sentry mode is separate and stored in its own folder.

Reactions: Louis0w