Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New deliveries come without key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just when I thought I have heard of every minor cost cutting technique, this comes along :oops: You probably would not believe what those things cost i production. Cheaper than you might think.

What a shame. I still remember my delight when the sales person demoed the "mini Tesla" fob for us at Fremont in 2013. I still get a kick out of using it.

Thank you, DerbyDave, for the link to the article. I'm glad that the fob is still an option for new models. You'd think that they could at least include ONE fob with the purchase. Boo to Tesla. For a measly $175 per fob, they deny that similar delightful experience. It's another chink in their armor...

The fobs are awesome, no reaching for the B pillar, I also love to lock the car by hand when I leave it. When one broke on my old MS I ordered an $40 one on Ebay 315Mhz and SC made it work on my 2015 MS. Now with the M3 I just bought two from Tesla, may need to leave car for wife or valet, this makes it much easier.

The fob is nice to have handy. For the Y I have an aftermarket fob but never use it. The Phone as a key works. We have a fob that came with the 18 model X and I really like the ease of tapping on the frunk or the trunk as needed With only having the phone as a key on the Y, it's cumbersome to unlock the phone, open the app (now I have a widget on the screen) and tap the button. I would think Tesla has data on who uses a fob and who doesn't. Maybe they felt it was a waste to include it if it wasn't being used. I personally don't think this is the right decision. Even if it's not use that often, it's a good way to treat new customers by giving them all options.

Is this decision like the mobile charger, on all orders after a date and those orders before are honored or it is from July 1 to all orders regardless?.
I'm taking delivery next Tuesday on an order from 2/27 and received a shop code for a charging solution but this one is new to me.