Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New driver assist function or software glitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg

Bighorn I think I know what you are referring to but in my S that insert graphic looks very different from what the OP shows in his photo.

As I recall, it's like an animated inset--I thought it was yellow or orange dotted lines though. From the OP's pic, I can't tell if there are 3 blue lanes or whether the lanes are the empty spaces between, in which case I'd expect to see the yellow/orange dashed lines there.

This has been present for as long as I've had my car. It's a feature of the Navigon software that runs the instrument cluster portion of the navigation system. It offers lane recommendations during times when you need to be in a certain lane to continue on your route. If the lane doesn't matter, or it doesn't have any lane suggestions, the box goes away, which is the vast majority of the time.

This has been present for as long as I've had my car. It's a feature of the Navigon software that runs the instrument cluster portion of the navigation system. It offers lane recommendations during times when you need to be in a certain lane to continue on your route. If the lane doesn't matter, or it doesn't have any lane suggestions, the box goes away, which is the vast majority of the time.

sorry couldn't get a better picture in the dark. Yes the blue lines are the lanes. After driving around a little longer, I noticed the graphic shows the multiple lanes for the street I was on. However, if the lanes with the blue paths are the suggested lanes i should be in to get to my destination, one of the graphics (not pictured) had the 3 right lanes (of the 4 lanes) in blue even though the driving direction shows to turn left. still scratching my head on what the graphics are really telling me. In the picture above, my destination is straight ahead on the right. Why are all 3 lanes highlighted?

I actually noticed this after the update. I have a short clip of it and from what i can see, it looks like the car is gathering information of the road. Here's a clip, you cn see the road adjust slightly to match what the car is "seeing"

Yeah, that looks glitchy. The lane indicator window normally has better graphics, and the suggested lanes are marked with solid orange lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
As previously mentioned, those are indeed the lane indicators for which lane you need to be in for an upcoming route decision (turn, offramp, road split, etc...). They only appear as necessary.

They used to be marked in orange. Since the 6.0 they are now blue.

As for the OP's subsequent questions:

1) The lane indicators may have kept you in the right-most lanes despite an upcoming left turn for several reasons: the road divides prior to your left turn, you need to bear right for an over-pass style exit above and to the left, etc...

2) The lane indicator may pop up even if your intended direction is "straight ahead", because the road you ar eon is dividing or splitting off, and you need to be in specific lanes to stay on the correct road

Definitely isn't a driver assist function as I've seen this on my older Model S. I too thought it was just a glitch, didn't seem to be useful.

Just curious, those with older Model S, did yours change to blue after the software upgrade or is it still orange?

- - - Updated - - -

As previously mentioned, those are indeed the lane indicators for which lane you need to be in for an upcoming route decision (turn, offramp, road split, etc...). They only appear as necessary.

They used to be marked in orange. Since the 6.0 they are now blue.

As for the OP's subsequent questions:

1) The lane indicators may have kept you in the right-most lanes despite an upcoming left turn for several reasons: the road divides prior to your left turn, you need to bear right for an over-pass style exit above and to the left, etc...

2) The lane indicator may pop up even if your intended direction is "straight ahead", because the road you ar eon is dividing or splitting off, and you need to be in specific lanes to stay on the correct road

scaesare: your pop up is now blue after the 6.0?

*sigh* Guess I'll have to get in the Tesla again *twist my arm* and drive the same route to replicate the results.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually noticed this after the update. I have a short clip of it and from what i can see, it looks like the car is gathering information of the road. Here's a clip, you cn see the road adjust slightly to match what the car is "seeing"

That's what I saw the first time mine appeared. Why did the window pop up? What's the purpose of showing 4 lanes of the freeway?
I'm hoping this has something to do with the future functions of the 12 sensors...

scaesare: your pop up is now blue after the 6.0?

*sigh* Guess I'll have to get in the Tesla again *twist my arm* and drive the same route to replicate the results.

Yes, as a matter of fact I wondered if the in-dash map changes were just cosmetic changes as a result of the new firmware, or if I had gotten new maps as well. My FW update was done at the service center, so I wasn't sure if I would have seen the same notification of new maps other people had seen...

Have to drive the Tesla _AGAIN_?? you poor, poor soul... :wink: