Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monterey County, CA

Install completed June 29th 2023
Inspection completed June 30th 2023
PG&E green light to use July 10th 2023
SCE Nem 2.0 Rejection

I'm in California I had Tesla solar installed & inspected was good to go 4/4/23. Granted started this whole process in Dec 2022. SCE has rejected my Nem 2.0 twice once in June for missing documentation and again today for missing documentation. No one can help me answer my questions I don't submit the paperwork Tesla does. No matter who I speak with Tesla & SCE they act like they don't know.I can't turn on my solar No help at all. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Any suggestions I'm beyond frustrated. Help

SCE Nem 2.0 Rejection

I'm in California I had Tesla solar installed & inspected was good to go 4/4/23. Granted started this whole process in Dec 2022. SCE has rejected my Nem 2.0 twice once in June for missing documentation and again today for missing documentation. No one can help me answer my questions I don't submit the paperwork Tesla does. No matter who I speak with Tesla & SCE they act like they don't know.I can't turn on my solar No help at all. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Any suggestions I'm beyond frustrated. Help
I went nuclear on them and magically the next day I got a text saying I have been granted PTO this was 1 week ago today. My account still says waiting for PTO. I also emailed the utils solar division and was told pto should be 5 days after submission of no corrections are needed. I’m in NY and am grandfathered into 20yr 1-1 net metering.

I found the live chat on your account worked well. Demand that you be cc on the re submission as this seems to be always be done by email. At least then it takes way the guessing game. I asked for a copy of proof they submitted for PTO and they forwarded me the email an hour later.

Reactions: TwistedGray
I went nuclear on them and magically the next day I got a text saying I have been granted PTO this was 1 week ago today. My account still says waiting for PTO. I also emailed the utils solar division and was told pto should be 5 days after submission of no corrections are needed. I’m in NY and am grandfathered into 20yr 1-1 net metering.

I found the live chat on your account worked well. Demand that you be cc on the re submission as this seems to be always be done by email. At least then it takes way the guessing game. I asked for a copy of proof they submitted for PTO and they forwarded me the email an hour later.
Well Tesla's incompetency is worse than I thought. I got an email today from my utility, it was me a person at tesla and the main email for tesla PTO in my state. They are closing my request for PTO due to lack of response! We have 30 days to reply to keep it open. This is now 13 days after Tesla told me via text I was given PTO!!! I will wait 20 days and then blast Tesla as I am certain they will not reply to that email. On the positive side I am going to pretend I never saw the email and continue to run, my account shows all my net metering and my current bill has been zeroed out already since I already had a bi directional meter before solar. Looks like I will be running at minimum of 3 months before I even have to pay the loan!

FYI FWIW that in Lafayette, Colorado, the (Tesla & City) inspection was a week after install ... and City signed off that afternoon.
Unfortunately, Tesla had a hiccup on submitting to Xcel Energy - apparently they marked it as "Inspection" versus "Final Inspection" ... so hopefully will go through soon, but it will be a two weeks delay - darn!

This is my experience in Northern VA:

-Installation Completed 02/07/2023
-City/County Inspection Completed/Approved 02/17/2023
-Invoice from Tesla 02/17/2023
-Payment to Tesla 02/22/2023
-PTO Application Submission 03/08/2023
-Dominion Net Meter install 05/26/2023
-PTO Authorization 06/05/2023

Was warned that Dominion Energy would sit on application for a max of 90 days.
Also noted that after payment; advisors are ars hats at getting back to you with any info request.
Also of note, to get a copy of NMIN application; I had to call dominion energy for it (have no idea why Tesla would not give it to me)

Hope any of this info helps...

Reactions: Matt-FL
Lafayette, Colorado:
8/1 - Tesla shows up in the afternoon to start Solar install
8/3 - Tesla finishes solar install mid-day
8/10 - Inspection by Tesla and City of Lafayette (who I understand sent it to Tesla that afternoon)
8/11 - I pay Tesla (you do this after inspection but before PTO)
8/24 - Tesla submits PTO to Xcel (they had some internal hiccups due to a new employee handling this - stuff happens)
8/30 - Xcel shows up to swap my meter ... and tells me I can turn it on - WOOT! ;-)

Reactions: Matt-FL
I don’t have Tesla gear, but my installer commissioned my system at 9:35 an on Sept 20th, and my utility (AMEREN ILLINOIS) was at my house at 1:30 pm blessed my system to turned it on at 1:45 pm on Sept 20th. I received my PTO certificate (all documents) on Sept 21st. Impressive and we were expecting it to take a couple of weeks.

Reactions: sTv0 and Matt-FL
My install was 3/14, Tues and inspection was on 3/21. I paid right away yesterday. However, Tesla tells me that they cannot process and do the utility paperwork for 5-10 days after payment. My account says payment processed right away. I already have one system and this is the second and no new net metering needed. Each project team is different and ours is not the greatest. Even for inspection, they said they had to FedEx paperwork to me and wasted 3 days on that.
Glad you are lucky and the best team.
@bhakan When did you order solar from the Tesla website? I'm also in MoCo with Pepco. Just wondering roughly how many months it would take for PTO if I ordered today.

I just added 6.0kW of new solar to my existing solar and Powerwall system. Once install finally started, things went incredibly quickly. Install started 9/22, Inspection 9/28, PTO 10/4/2023. Less than 2 weeks start to finish. Contract was signed 11/30/2022. This is a third party Enphase system, not Tesla. NEM 2.0 guaranteed with PG&E.

Still waiting on PTO. Well over 6 months now since final inspection and full payment. I check in with Tesla every other week and they are claiming everything is submitted and it is “in process” by SCE
Been 6 months for me also, I got a phone call to schedule my county final inspection this week. I have a text message and email saying it was completed in May! I knew it was never done as it didn't show up on my county site for inspections and c/o. I harassed them daily for a week straight and I magically got a text saying I have been giving PTO and can power on. I 110% don't have PTO, I have been running since late July. I'm not paying my loan as I don't have PTO, I have net metered close to enough to et me through the winter. They have atrocious customer service. Power on your system and say F it, especially since you paid in full. They violated my contract, it clearly states down payment after all inspections completed. They lied and said they where done and weren't.

My install to PTO was about six months also. I had to notify Tesla that the final inspection was done... 3 times. Third time I got a decent CSA who looked at the attached screenshot of the county permits showing it was complete, as Tesla said they were waiting for it to be scheduled. After that, it only took a couple weeks for them to schedule PTO with my utility and meter swap. I ran since the day they installed, as the Tesla installer said it was not a problem. He did suggest I go 'off grid' if I filled my batteries instead of pushing 10kw to the grid.
I didn't get a request for payment until PTO was complete, had literal 'free' energy for those six months.

My install to PTO was about six months also. I had to notify Tesla that the final inspection was done... 3 times. Third time I got a decent CSA who looked at the attached screenshot of the county permits showing it was complete, as Tesla said they were waiting for it to be scheduled. After that, it only took a couple weeks for them to schedule PTO with my utility and meter swap. I ran since the day they installed, as the Tesla installer said it was not a problem. He did suggest I go 'off grid' if I filled my batteries instead of pushing 10kw to the grid.
I didn't get a request for payment until PTO was complete, had literal 'free' energy for those six months.
You can turn on immediately w/ a power wall. I don't have one but I already had a bi directional smart meter as my house was built in 2019. I don't even care anymore when I get PTO, im running for free and am net metering. MY ROI is now down to 60 months, tesla gave me 9k loot points, I factored that into savings as I have driven my M3P on a few road trips for free. The incompetence level of Tesla cust service and solar permitting is incredible. Every month I run w/o PTO saves me $192 that I used to pay for electric and gas for my car. That will drop to $94 w/ the loan. Once I get my tax credits back in march my plan was to pay it off in full. My house car and wife's student loan combined are 8% my solar loan is 7%, no chance i'm paying that.

Had Powerwall added to Solar installation (2013) last month - got PTO within 3 days after inspection. Still trying to get Powerwall battery added to App. Impossible to get help from Tesla.
Any suggestions?
Try logging out of the app and back in. This has fixed stuff for me.

I think the configuration may be included in the authentication token, so re-logging in may update it. Fingers crossed.