Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My utility company gave me the PTO today. Tesla didn't know this when I called them right after getting the email. Still, I was not on hold very long and they helped me with the final steps of switching the system on and making sure the app was working. Could have done this myself but wanted to make sure it was OK to turn things on since Tesla told me to wait to hear from them.
Tesla doesn’t know sheeit! All you need to do is turn on the breaker and your live. I’ve been waiting for PTO since mid May and those clowns told me in July I have it but I still don’t. Been running for 4 months free no loan payments. It’s glorious I think I can potential go years w/o paying due to there incompetence.

Never got a manual or how to add battery to my car and solar app (unless there is a different app).

There are several thread on this subject on TMC. Try searching for "Charge on Solar".

If you need further assistance, I would suggest asking in one of those threads.

Installation last week of June, inspection early July 2023 still waiting on PTO.

System was left on by Tesla, generates power. Just no compensation from poco. No gateway, no Powerwall

My meter seems to be bi-directional, sometimes the dashes go from left to right, and sometimes from right to left. Florida has net metering, so while the bill does not show any net metering it appears that the meter might be just "spinning" backwards when power is flowing to the grid???

Tesla seems to be very competent with the equipment, not so competent with the paperwork, although they say this is out of their hands, in FP&L's hands. Who knows?

Installation last week of June, inspection early July 2023 still waiting on PTO.

System was left on by Tesla, generates power. Just no compensation from poco. No gateway, no Powerwall

My meter seems to be bi-directional, sometimes the dashes go from left to right, and sometimes from right to left. Florida has net metering, so while the bill does not show any net metering it appears that the meter might be just "spinning" backwards when power is flowing to the grid???

Tesla seems to be very competent with the equipment, not so competent with the paperwork, although they say this is out of their hands, in FP&L's hands. Who knows?

I ran into similar issues with mine (Florida also, JEA as utility). I had to call into JEA to get the specific number for the generation department. I found out that my utility was waiting on a response from Tesla, whereas Tesla was 'waiting' for a response from JEA. I had to bring this information to Tesla to get the ball rolling again. Might be worth calling or emailing FP&L's generation department to see where the holdup is. Mine was installed 8/30/2022, received PTO on 1/27/2023.

Still waiting for PTO from SoCal Edison….105 days and counting….frustrating
Just got PTO
Southern California (Orange County)
Southern California Edison

Ordered Sept 2022
Installed 2/21/23
Inspected 2/28/23
Paid in full 3/1/23
Confirmation from SCE of Interconnection request: 3/1/23
PTO: still waiting….

I have received emails that I have been included on where SCE is requesting for information. Tesla is supposedly taking care of it. At least I have a power wall and am fully functional except I can not push any power to the grid. Basically I use it or lose it…
just got PTO today…almost 10 months since install

I sent an email to FP&L and got this response:

xxxxxxxxx@me.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2023 9:32 AM
To: SharedMailbox, Netmetering-Forwarding <[email protected]>
Subject:Status Update

Can you please let me know what is causing the delay in my net metering application? It has been several months since the application was submitted by Tesla.

Account number is: xxxxxxxxxx

Contact info

Contact info:

Eric xxxxxxxxxxx
xxx xxxxxxxxx Rd
Boca Raton, FL 33432

xxx-xxx-xxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com

Good morning,

Tier 2 applications are placed in queue to be reviewed once the payment is updated if the application was submitted prior to payment receipt; otherwise, it would be from the date the application was submitted.

The application was submitted October 4th; however, the payment for the tier 2 interconnection fee was updated December 14th. Applications are being processed in the order in which they were received.

Thank you and have a great rest of your day!
FPL Net Metering team

Tesla said they submitted the payment in October, but FP&L says they got the payment on December 14.

So I reached out to Tesla, and this is what they said:

Hi Eric,

With regards to FPL: A check was mailed back in October 30th. However, I have seen multiple cases where it takes around 2-3 weeks for the check to arrive at FPL's facility. Additionally, I have consistently seen that after the check is delivered, that i can take about another 3 weeks for FPL to process the payment and update the portal to reflect payment has been made.

Now that FPL's portal is updated, they will review the application further and once approved, they will order a bidirectional meter.

Seeing as they've already processed the payment, we should have an update on the net metering application within a week or two.

-- -- -- -- --

So as Tesla says, at least it looks like everything is finally in the queue and they will get to it someday.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxx@me.com>

Can you please let me know what is causing the delay in my net metering application? It has been several months since the application was submitted by Tesla.

Contact info

Contact info:

Eric xxxxxxxxxxx
xxx xxxxxxxxx Rd
Boca Raton, FL 33432

xxx-xxx-xxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com

Good morning,

Tier 2 applications are placed in queue to be reviewed once the payment is updated if the application was submitted prior to payment receipt; otherwise, it would be from the date the application was submitted.

The application was submitted October 4th; however, the payment for the tier 2 interconnection fee was updated December 14th. Applications are being processed in the order in which they were received.

FPL Net Metering team

Tesla said they submitted the payment in October, but FP&L says they got the payment on December 14.

Hi Eric,

With regards to FPL: A check was mailed back in October 30th. However, I have seen multiple cases where it takes around 2-3 weeks for the check to arrive at FPL's facility. Additionally, I have consistently seen that after the check is delivered, that i can take about another 3 weeks for FPL to process the payment and update the portal to reflect payment has been made.

Now that FPL's portal is updated, they will review the application further and once approved, they will order a bidirectional meter.

Seeing as they've already processed the payment, we should have an update on the net metering application within a week or two.

-- -- -- -- --

So as Tesla says, at least it looks like everything is finally in the queue and they will get to it someday.
I wouldn’t trust a word tesla energy says. They told me I passed my town inspection in late June. It wasn’t passed until late November. I was told I got PTO in late July. I still don’t have PTO. I have been running and net metering for 5 months and they never requested my loan payments since I don’t have pto. They are clowns. I’m 95% positive I’ll get to 1 year post install w/o paying them my loan. I fronted the tax credit amount. I’ll be whole in early March.

xxxxxxxxx@me.com>

Contact info

Contact info:

Eric xxxxxxxxxxx
xxx xxxxxxxxx Rd
Boca Raton, FL 33432

xxx-xxx-xxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com

Good morning,

FPL Net Metering team

Hi Eric,

-- -- -- -- --

FP&L installed a fancy new meter today around 2 PM and at 6 PM today I received an email from FP&L announcing I have received PTO.

So right at 6 months from when the system was installed (and the city inspected it within a few days of installation).

Santa Clara county, PG&E. 21x REC panels and Enphase microinverters, 4x Enphase 5P batteries (total 20kWh). Installed by NorthStar Solar.
2/2/2024 Inspection
2/19/2024 PTO application submitted (delayed due to installer's question to PG&E)
3/5/2024 PG&E asked installer for clarification and specs about the inverters installed
Could PG&E be calculating the export load to see if they need to replace the transformer? The solar CEC-AC rating is 7.96kW, solar inverter rating is 7.329kW, total storage inverter rating is 15.36kW (import only for now, but I can enroll the PG&E Emergency Load Reduction Program through Enphase to sell electricity exported from batteries for $2/kWh during certain hours).

Received PTO today in MD.

9/27/23 Ordered
10/2/23 Received Tesla design
10/3/23 Accepted Tesla design
10/13/23 Site Assessment
10/23/23 Accepted revised Tesla design to 14.175 kW system
11/13/23 Received installation date (12/5/23). Re-scheduled for 12/26/23
12/20/23 Parts delivered
12/26/23 Installation
12/29/23 County inspection (12/29/23). Re-scheduled for 1/3/24
1/3/24 Tesla Audit (optional)
1/4/24 System passed inspection
1/9/24 Paid Tesla invoice
1/9/24 Drywall repair
1/18/24 PEPCO contacted me about Tesla filling out the interconnection application incorrectly
1/22/24 Tesla re-submitted the interconnection application to PEPCO
2/19/24 PEPCO field verification status
3/15/24 PEPCO field verification and technical complete and approved
3/21/24 PEPCO scheduled meter reprogramming for 4/3-4/5
4/4/24 PEPCO reprogrammed the meter to allow for credits
4/15/24 Received Permission to Operate

Received PTO today in MD.

9/27/23 Ordered
10/2/23 Received Tesla design
10/3/23 Accepted Tesla design
10/13/23 Site Assessment
10/23/23 Accepted revised Tesla design to 14.175 kW system
11/13/23 Received installation date (12/5/23). Re-scheduled for 12/26/23
12/20/23 Parts delivered
12/26/23 Installation
12/29/23 County inspection (12/29/23). Re-scheduled for 1/3/24
1/3/24 Tesla Audit (optional)
1/4/24 System passed inspection
1/9/24 Paid Tesla invoice
1/9/24 Drywall repair
1/18/24 PEPCO contacted me about Tesla filling out the interconnection application incorrectly
1/22/24 Tesla re-submitted the interconnection application to PEPCO
2/19/24 PEPCO field verification status
3/15/24 PEPCO field verification and technical complete and approved
3/21/24 PEPCO scheduled meter reprogramming for 4/3-4/5
4/4/24 PEPCO reprogrammed the meter to allow for credits
4/15/24 Received Permission to Operate
Were you able to operate after installation, or after county inspection in off-grid mode? Or were you not able to turn anything on until permission to operate from PEPCO?

Ok I better be able to since they told me payment will be due after install (technically after approval by town a week later). So I don’t want to be paying both my electric full price and the loan for months.
Loan payments won’t start until 30 days after pto. Down payment is due after install. I paid my off before the loan started. Got my house at 2.625 cat at 2.8 and wife’s student loans at 2.5 not paying 7 on a solar loan.

Loan payments won’t start until 30 days after pto. Down payment is due after install. I paid my off before the loan started. Got my house at 2.625 cat at 2.8 and wife’s student loans at 2.5 not paying 7 on a solar loan.
This is what my paperwork says, I just looked. Thanks. However my advisor told me payment in full would be due 1 week after installation is completed last time I spoke with him. Have another meeting with him tomorrow so will touch on this again. Thanks.

I was just about to start a thread on this. I was wondering how long before Tesla will send app to PGE for PTO. City inspection or Fire dept is set for next week, so I suppose it is too early but I had PGE on phone today for a different matter and I asked them about the application from Tesla and they said no, they didnt have it. PGE told me often contractors will submit BEFORE city inspection.

I just hope I get my PTO within a reasonable amount of time. Do I have to pay before I get PTO? I guess I will look at the contract, I bet I do. I can no longer make appts with project advisor on website account, even though it lets me make one but it doesn't ever go thru and send me an email confirming, so that is annoying. Contacting them is really hard, I do not have the button on the app for contacting support.

Looking at contract it says Tesla ensures PTO and the wording implies payment is due prior even though it doesn't say that exactly. It says it ensures it "provided PTO is required for your system." What does that mean, that PGE requires it? Do they?

Last edited:
I was just about to start a thread on this. I was wondering how long before Tesla will send app to PGE for PTO. City inspection or Fire dept is set for next week, so I suppose it is too early but I had PGE on phone today for a different matter and I asked them about the application from Tesla and they said no, they didnt have it. PGE told me often contractors will submit BEFORE city inspection.

I just hope I get my PTO within a reasonable amount of time. Do I have to pay before I get PTO? I guess I will look at the contract, I bet I do. I can no longer make appts with project advisor on website account, even though it lets me make one but it doesn't ever go thru and send me an email confirming, so that is annoying. Contacting them is really hard, I do not have the button on the app for contacting support.

Looking at contract it says Tesla ensures PTO and the wording implies payment is due prior even though it doesn't say that exactly. It says it ensures it "provided PTO is required for your system." What does that mean, that PGE requires it? Do they?
Just had a call with a Project Advisor (not my normal one, he was "out today") and was told that down payment is due after inspector signs off on install, but full payment not due until ~60-75 days after PTO is given. So that was good news! Just stinks that it has now been 3 weeks and they have not gotten back to me with the HOA documents I requested. On today's call, which I scheduled, I was told the HOA had rejected the address I gave them which was my own as they need a separate address for the HOA. The HOA Property management told me to use my address, but I reached out and they said to use their address then. Wonder how long its been sitting there waiting for someone to give me that feedback from the HOA team.