Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New features in Premium Upgrades Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For $35,000.00 you can get some really good ICE cars that have many more features.

I'm not so sure about that. Most German cars in this sector have very little standard equipment and pretty much everything is a paid option. A base 3-series BMW without any selected options would be a very sparse vehicle indeed! You probably wouldn't even get nav, only a very basic sound system, cloth manual seats, manual gears and certainly no fancy driver aids.

A quick look on the BMW configurator shows a base 318i SE at £28K on the road, but you can easily get up to £35K+ without going bonkers with options. Plus a 318i has nothing like the power of a Model 3, so you would probably be comparing against a 340i starting at £43K before options.

I'm not so sure about that. Most German cars in this sector have very little standard equipment and pretty much everything is a paid option. A base 3-series BMW without any selected options would be a very sparse vehicle indeed! You probably wouldn't even get nav, only a very basic sound system, cloth manual seats, manual gears and certainly no fancy driver aids.

A quick look on the BMW configurator shows a base 318i SE at £28K on the road, but you can easily get up to £35K+ without going bonkers with options. Plus a 318i has nothing like the power of a Model 3, so you would probably be comparing against a 340i starting at £43K before options.
I did a quick build and the closest 3-series trim to the first production Model 3 is about $57k which is essentially what I paid for my Model 3 with EAP before any taxes or incentives.

• Informative
Reactions: Compton

The base model 3 would be closer the Accord or Camry both American built sedans. I suspect that will be the competition for the base model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan
Strip it too much and there will be little demand for the car. For $35,000.00 you can get some really good ICE cars that have many more features.
Jaguar comes with its Remote Premium connectivity only for its warranty period, granted it's longer than a year but still limited.
Acura link is only a 90 day free trial, after which you need to pay for it.
Mercedes CLA gets you three years of navigation map updates, but only if you get their multimedia package
Audi comes with 6 months of AudiConnect Prime, after which it's a subscription.

So the full year you get with Model 3 PUP seems on par with, if not better than, the others, the lack of anything without PUP might be a little less than the competition but not terribly much.

Another way to look at it is to see what you'll get (lose) with the standard version. Based on the original press release with some updates based on the current configuration and my interpretation, the standard version Includes:
  • standard interior with textile and plastic materials (no wood trim?)
  • textile seating (no synthetic leather heated seats for all five passengers, but they may include heated front seats only)
  • manual adjustable front seats (no 12-way power adjustable seats)
  • manual adjustable steering wheel (no power steering wheel, my speculation)
  • Front center console with open storage (no covered storage)
  • 2 USB ports (no docking for 2 smartphones, no rear USB ports)
  • Standard audio system with 4/5 speakers (may eliminate sub-woofer in trunk and tweeters)
  • Metal roof (No Tinted glass roof)
  • Power-adjustable side mirrors (No Auto dimming, heated side mirrors, and can also lose power folding)
  • No Custom driver profiles due to manual front seats and steering wheel
  • No LED fog lamps
  • Standard Connectivity (Premium Connectivity extra $100/year or $10/month):
    • Maps and navigation with real-time traffic-based routing (No Satellite maps with live traffic visualization)
    • No In-car streaming media
    • Only urgent/critical Over-the-air updates via cellular (Wi-fi for other updates)

Another way to look at it is to see what you'll get (lose) with the standard version. Based on the original press release with some updates based on the current configuration and my interpretation, the standard version Includes:
  • standard interior with textile and plastic materials (no wood trim?)
  • textile seating (no synthetic leather heated seats for all five passengers, but they may include heated front seats only)
  • manual adjustable front seats (no 12-way power adjustable seats)
  • manual adjustable steering wheel (no power steering wheel, my speculation)
  • Front center console with open storage (no covered storage)
  • 2 USB ports (no docking for 2 smartphones, no rear USB ports)
  • Standard audio system with 4/5 speakers (may eliminate sub-woofer in trunk and tweeters)
  • Metal roof (No Tinted glass roof)
  • Power-adjustable side mirrors (No Auto dimming, heated side mirrors, and can also lose power folding)
  • No Custom driver profiles due to manual front seats and steering wheel
  • No LED fog lamps
  • Standard Connectivity (Premium Connectivity extra $100/year or $10/month):
    • Maps and navigation with real-time traffic-based routing (No Satellite maps with live traffic visualization)
    • No In-car streaming media
    • Only urgent/critical Over-the-air updates via cellular (Wi-fi for other updates)
When you list it all out like that the $5k price doesn't seem bad at all.

Reactions: AnarchyEOD
I think that is unlikely to be the case since Elon has already said that "even the base car at $35K will beat any other car in its class" like the Audi A4 or BMW 3 both of which have Homelink for example.
And yet they refuse to implement any phone integration other than the barest “you can sort of make phone calls”. I could browse the music from my phone in my 2006 Prius, and my Scion (that cost a third as much as my Model 3) would read incoming messages to me with text-to-speech.

Given that it was removed from the list of amenities in the "Premium Black" package in the configurator's Interior section, it appears that the power adjustable steering column may now come standard. It's probably cheaper for them to carry that into the non-PUP cars than to come up with a mechanical alternative. In fact, it wouldn't shock me at this point if they make the power adjustable front seats standard as well. We already know from the Monroney sticker that heated seats for the driver and front passenger come standard.

EDIT: I found a version of the Monroney sticker on teslarati that doesn't included heated front seats as a standard feature.

tesla-model-3-long-range-window-sticker.jpg

Last edited:
If you read the owner's manual it also tells you the differences and points out things you only get in the premium package. to each his own but there's so much missing from the $35, 000 car. It doesn't even include USB ports and the manual even points to the center console and says premium package only. Personally I don't think they should have even called the base one the Model 3 because it devalues the higher versions that people are buying since it's missing so much it's pretty much a different car. At least it's obvious from the outside it's the cheap one with no glass roof or folding mirrors etc.

Strip it too much and there will be little demand for the car. For $35,000.00 you can get some really good ICE cars that have many more features. This mid end market will be a different to crack. Looks like the high end market is getting saturated hence the need to open orders to anyone willing to buy the high end models. This time next year if production hits and maintains the rate promised will be much harder to sell in.
I don’t think so, there are tons of people that want a Tesla, but can’t afford a $50k+ car. I think the brand Tesla speaks louder than what you have... And to some it’s about getting away from ICE, not about the upgrades. I think the demand is there and stronger than you think.

Reactions: GSP
If you read the owner's manual it also tells you the differences and points out things you only get in the premium package. to each his own but there's so much missing from the $35, 000 car. It doesn't even include USB ports and the manual even points to the center console and says premium package only. Personally I don't think they should have even called the base one the Model 3 because it devalues the higher versions that people are buying since it's missing so much it's pretty much a different car. At least it's obvious from the outside it's the cheap one with no glass roof or folding mirrors etc.

I think that's the point of this thread. Based on changes found on the website, they may be still figuring out what parts of the premium interior they want/need to carry over to the standard version. With all due deference to the owner's manual, it's possible that they haven't finalized the standard interior. FWIW, the Monroney sticker claims that two USB ports come standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: adaptabl
I don’t think so, there are tons of people that want a Tesla, but can’t afford a $50k+ car. I think the brand Tesla speaks louder than what you have... And to some it’s about getting away from ICE, not about the upgrades. I think the demand is there and stronger than you think.

I think you're right. Tesla is going to sell a pile of $35,000-$40,000 Model 3s to the Camry/Accord crowd for the same reason BMW is able to sell a lot of cars.

Saving $1,000-$2,000 a year on fueling costs, plus very little scheduled maintenance is an enormous motivator for a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in one.

That crowd typically doesn't give a crap about browsing their iPod music collection, having a glass roof, etc.... they are driven by utility and economics.

The things you are listing are just nice to haves and does not in any way change the car. The base model will very much still be a Model 3 and will sell like hot cakes.

Reactions: GSP and AnarchyEOD

The owner's manual doesn't even have illustrations showing what the base seat adjustments or center console will look like. Nobody has seen the base car yet. The priority is on building the standard battery car before they finalize the components and design for the standard interior.

5 heated seats? Guess I'm going to have to look at the seat controls on my screen a little closer tonight.
You can access the front seats directly, but have to bring up the main HVAC controls and do something else (I forgot what) to fiddle with the rear seats. It brings up a diagram of all 5 seats and you can cycle them all individually through the settings.