Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new grocery bag hook for m3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was my original wish. A luggage hook like I had in my VW Passat. It is big and folds away when not used. But it uses 2 screws and I dont want to drill anything in my Tesla.
But for me, this is the ultimate design....
s-l300.jpg

This was my original wish. A luggage hook like I had in my VW Passat. It is big and folds away when not used. But it uses 2 screws and I dont want to drill anything in my Tesla.
But for me, this is the ultimate design....
View attachment 506234
I have these (VW style) installed in my trunk, use them weekly, couldn't live without them.
I tried the triple hook one, and struggled to get bags on/off.

Got the metal one in the mail today, and used it for a Target run already.

Meh. It works, but honestly the hook is too aggressive, shallow, and close to the top of the truck, so it's more fiddling than I would like for attaching and removing the bags. It does work though, and is better than nothing. I would like to see a revised design that brings the hooks down and has longer arms with smoother tips to make it easier to use.

I noticed that there is only one exposed screw thread on the right side of my 2020 truck, and nothing on the left side. So as far as I can tell, only one of these can be used. Fortunately I only bought one.

View attachment 506216

@TLLMRRJ,

All great points. Maybe leave this exact review for the Vendor on Amazon with a request to change the machining to a longer stem to drop the hook some and longer arms as well. We’ll see what they do.

Ski

That's not right at all. PETG holds screw threads quite well. If I was hanging 100 pounds from it in Arizona, maybe there'd be a problem. But all it's doing is keeping them from sliding around.

are you going to thread a metal nut on the tesla bolt, and just have the bag hook be like a 'big washer' of sorts? that might work.

but it being weight bearing, and just using a press-fit-twist kind of diy thread (no way you can PRINT threads that small), I can't see it lasting very long...

I printed all of the different versions of Tesla Model 3 grocery hooks on Thingiverse, plus one my buddy designed. Why= filament is cheap & testing was kinda fun. I tested them with 60# of weight in a canvas bag, on a 116° F day here in Phx. Test was letting them warm in the sun to 120° F reported internal temps (app) and then driving around like a jerk and threshold braking/turning sharply, like a slalom.
The plastic version of your's was awful, bags stuck worse on the hooks because of the printed texture, and it easily snapped where the sharp angles are, so metal version for the win there! The hook that looks similar to the one I posted, but with an M6 locking nut inside the barrel was equally weak, and it snapped up where the wall was thin to accommodate the nut. That one failed the first time I hammered the brakes.

TL;DR- I'll concede that the printed threads inside the hook aren't as precision as in the metal one, but they're pretty good if your CAD & slicing are on point, and you're using a well tuned printer profile. Smaller nozzle + thinnest realistic layer height + 100% Infill + Ironing all exposed top/horizontal surfaces= Parts that are plenty strong & smooth. (longer print time tho...) In my failed torture tests, the PETG fractured like glass across the layer lines, so at least we know that layer adhesion wasn't the issue.

If the winning printed one ever fails, I'll try to remember to post that here and will likely get the metal one you did.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
The folding VW hooks can be found all over internet, you can also order them in China for a few dollars. Only downside is that you have to drill a hole, because it needs 2 screws to keep it in place.

I finaly ordered a 1 screw hook from a Honda Accord. This hook can be tightend on the screw that is already in your trunk (on the right). Not as nice as the folding hook, but it does the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-08L96-TA0-101A-Cargo-Hook/dp/B003ENE6LO

Has anybody found an acceptable aftermarket version of these trunk hooks? Its nice that the trunk is quite spacious but my grocery bags going flying around with all that open space and nothing to keep it secured

The folding VW hooks can be found all over internet, you can also order them in China for a few dollars. Only downside is that you have to drill a hole, because it needs 2 screws to keep it in place.

I finaly ordered a 1 screw hook from a Honda Accord. This hook can be tightend on the screw that is already in your trunk (on the right). Not as nice as the folding hook, but it does the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-08L96-TA0-101A-Cargo-Hook/dp/B003ENE6LO
Yea I like the VW ones but ry don’t want to drill any holes.

The Honda ones look good but everyone has commented how they are too short and I wish there was one that screwed onto the existing screw but with the VW hook shape