Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right in this thread a few posts back:

The person installed the lights themselves and then went and got the config updated for $75.

That's a person that bought the lights and installed them themselves. That's not the same as Tesla doing a "free swap" for new owners that received a 2022 car with reflector headlights.
And even then not everyone has been successful in getting Tesla to do it as evidenced by other posts in this thread. It’s kind of hit or miss and whether the service techs 1) know how to do it and 2) are willing to do it. Much different than a company wide policy saying they will for sure do it for anyone that asks.

Also Tesla can easily “fix” a “corrupted” vehicle configuration OTA like they did for people that retrofitted missing lumbar. They know exactly what equipment and configuration your car left the factory with so if there’s any deviation they can change it back.

Last edited:
Right in this thread a few posts back:

The person installed the lights themselves and then went and got the config updated for $75.
As mentioned that was someone that did the swap themselves and fooled the SC to change the software config. That is a whole lot different than Tesla officially doing the swap themselves (including the light). That's the evidence I was asking for. In the latter case there is no fooling required and it opens the possibility of paid retrofits happening for older cars if Tesla is now officially doing retrofits.

Tesla keeps saying that the matrix lights will not work with the older car. Why is it so difficult to do this when we are willing to pay for the lights and do the install and pay for the time it takes to config. We know it's doable.
They don't want to deal with unofficial configs. That increases the complexity for SCs when they already have to deal with a lot of variation. This is the same reason why they don't do the heated steering wheel retrofit and fog light (which is even less complex, but does require a software config change to get it to show up in UI). Instead people have to rely on hacks (like tying it to headlight to activate).

For example if there is an issue and they have to revert to factory config, it may break any unofficial configs, then you have the customer complaining (it's much worse for matrix headlights, you might lose your headlights completely, while a disabled heated steering or fog light is much less serious an issue). If they ever intend to release an adaptive mode for the matrix light, that opens up another whole can of worms. I don't imagine Tesla wants to deal with that at all.

Plus in context to a supply shortage of matrix lights, it makes zero sense to offer a retrofit that will only increase demand for it.

Last edited:
Was able to finally get my matrix headlights on my MYLR thanks to this thread, so thank you guys! They are plug and play as long as you have someone with at least level 3 access to change it. They would just need to change it in the gateway as stated before, and push another update.

The lights are much brighter, but my drivers side headlight is aimed way too high, and I cant adjust it anymore with the "adjust headlights" screen. Tesla mobile guy even said that he can't adjust it anymore and the motor might have busted during shopping. Any other ideas or suggestions before I start cutting into the light?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
When you do the light show does it spell out tesla? I'm trying to get an understanding of how software involved this retrofit is? Trying to figure out if it basically turns it into a car that had matrix from the factory. Because of that is the case then future adaptive software pushes may work as intended.

When you do the light show does it spell out tesla? I'm trying to get an understanding of how software involved this retrofit is? Trying to figure out if it basically turns it into a car that had matrix from the factory. Because of that is the case then future adaptive software pushes may work as intended.
It's just a simple change to the configuration gateway

Yes, the Tesla logo is now spelled out during light show. I have no idea if the ‘smart’ adaptive features will work though, once the US approves/allows Tesla to activate the fleet

But why should it care - Tesla has already received the revenue for the product so why not do the simple configuration change?
They shouldn't care between us but I don't think it's a matter of caring or not. The car is a big phone and the firmware versions and revisions and builds, it must get really crazy the convolutions it takes. It may be that they won't support this because these mods will create too many permutations and they have to support these changes... something like that? It could become a big headache and this isn't a priority issue. This is an area I wish Tesla would change tact on, this and more support for enthusiast mods.

They shouldn't care between us but I don't think it's a matter of caring or not. The car is a big phone and the firmware versions and revisions and builds, it must get really crazy the convolutions it takes. It may be that they won't support this because these mods will create too many permutations and they have to support these changes... something like that? It could become a big headache and this isn't a priority issue. This is an area I wish Tesla would change tact on, this and more support for enthusiast mods.
Just like a phone the car contains a configuration object. Tesla's servers notify that there's a firmware update available and the car pulls the modules it requires.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Just like a phone the car contains a configuration object. Tesla's servers notify that there's a firmware update available and the car pulls the modules it requires.
I agree, a software company as big as Tesla would definitely follow this sort of model. Let's be real tesla doesn't make cars. They make software that runs on their 4 wheel hardware.

Reactions: Adam3 and goRt