Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve received my global lights, and plan to do the install during the week, or over the weekend. I have previously used Toolbox to config power liftgate retrofit. But I have no experience with using the service shell.
I’m planning for a one hour Toolbox subscription. So I’m trying to be as prepared as I can be. Do we know for sure that the toolbox proxy application is needed? Is this something I can install prior to the active subscription, or is it just a five minute job while I’m in the one hour window?
Thanks in advance for all the great sharing of info related to this.
Toolbox proxy is required. I had a “communication with ODIN” error both times I’ve done this retrofit on cars and it randomly solves itself. I haven’t been able to figure out where it came from, but it took about 30 minutes to an hour to get past that. Just a heads up. Let me know if you see the same error.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
No, haven't got the headlights yet.
And now it's done. Thanks for the great thread here. I can also confirm that headlights can be replaced to matrix from reflectors and it works. One minor fallback was that adaptive headlights would require HW3, because I didn't see the adaptive option in the lights menu. But from hardware point of view they do work.

BTW. There is an official update ans instruction in Tesla Service Manual for this: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

Interesting about the virtual pitch sensor:

If the vehicle is equipped with a Virtual Pitch Sensor (VPS), in Toolbox 3, click the Actionstab, search for “PROC_ICE_X_SET-VIRTUAL-PITCH-SENSOR”, and then click Change leveling system of Virtual Pitch Sensor.

Wonder how we can identify this on our cars? Anyone have any ideas?

Edit
Some information here, still don’t know how to identify.

Last edited:
And now it's done. Thanks for the great thread here. I can also confirm that headlights can be replaced to matrix from reflectors and it works. One minor fallback was that adaptive headlights would require HW3, because I didn't see the adaptive option in the lights menu. But from hardware point of view they do work.

BTW. There is an official update ans instruction in Tesla Service Manual for this: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla
Out of curiosity, even with HW2.5 do you still get the TESLA text when running a lightshow from the vehicle?