Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why this is so difficult. This should be a no-brainer. "Hello, Tesla... I'd like to give you $$$ to upgrade to the latest headlights." Tesla goes "cool, we'd love to take your $$$." Done.
Warranty, FVMSS homologation, supply chain issues, completely overburdened service centers, annoyed customers, other software compatibility ,etc. So many reasons to not support it.
It's rare that a company goes looking for additional hardware revenue streams from existing customers when they are currently supply constrained for new customers. That sweet FSD software revenue however...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bull and WhiteM3P-
When asked about matrix compatibility.

Screenshot_20221011_083335_Gmail.jpg

when did they discontinued the door pocket lights? mine has them
They removed them in the 2020 models. Came back in 21. Parts shortage? My 2020 M3P had the wires cut off in the door harness. I added in the plugs that were cut off and realized that there is a gateway config for ambient lighting "premium_no_pocket_lights"
Easy enough to work around though. Just hardwired them to my footwells so they behave the same and work from the on screen "ambient lights" button. Tesla is so inconsistent with everything.

They removed them in the 2020 models. Came back in 21. Parts shortage? My 2020 M3P had the wires cut off in the door harness. I added in the plugs that were cut off and realized that there is a gateway config for ambient lighting "premium_no_pocket_lights"
Easy enough to work around though. Just hardwired them to my footwells so they behave the same and work from the on screen "ambient lights" button. Tesla is so inconsistent with everything.
God how I miss the coding abilities of BMW and VW/Audi…

I'm honestly getting out of the Tesla as soon as some other automaker makes a comparable electric car. Japanese or German. This lack of control over something I paid for is BS. When I had my (last car) Lexus I did an entire front end swap. Made the harnesses and coded everything to euro specs. Not a single issue. Dealership even helped aquire the parts.

I'm honestly getting out of the Tesla as soon as some other automaker makes a comparable electric car. Japanese or German. This lack of control over something I paid for is BS. When I had my (last car) Lexus I did an entire front end swap. Made the harnesses and coded everything to euro specs. Not a single issue. Dealership even helped aquire the parts.
I’ve always looked at Tesla like Apple. Locked down to the T! Everything has to be their way and their way only. I hate it cause I used to have android and I did whatever I wanted and same with my past cars like modding my sti was easy but it is what it is I guess

This lack of control over something I paid for is BS. When I had my (last car) Lexus I did an entire front end swap. Made the harnesses and coded everything to euro specs. Not a single issue. Dealership even helped aquire the parts.
This is one of the downsides to the "no dealer" model. When you have dealers, the tools to do maintenance have to be available to third parties (which is what the dealer is, they are their own companies). This inherently reduces the control of the manufacturer.
Tesla's model of the only service department being run by Tesla gives them complete control of all the tools.
But notice how everyone is trying to get rid of the dealer model with their EV's? The future may not look like the past even with manufacturers that used to work differently.

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3 and WhiteM3P-
This is one of the downsides to the "no dealer" model. When you have dealers, the tools to do maintenance have to be available to third parties (which is what the dealer is, they are their own companies). This inherently reduces the control of the manufacturer.
Tesla's model of the only service department being run by Tesla gives them complete control of all the tools.
But notice how everyone is trying to get rid of the dealer model with their EV's? The future may not look like the past even with manufacturers that used to work differently.
You make a valid point... The future sucks! Lol. Guess time will tell.

Thats because they ( the manufacturers) will all make more money, if they didnt have to deal with the dealer model. Customers wont necessarily save money (ones that are familiar and adept at negotiating on vehicles wont, anyway), but manufacturers would make more money per unit not having to deal with holdback, etc, and also have more control.

Customers in general want less complex purchasing transactions, so everyone wins except for the third party dealer (and the customer who later on wants to modify stuff, only to find that everything is locked down... just like in this thread).

Traditional manufacturers dream of being able to get rid of dealers, selling cars for MSRP and having people be "ok" or even "happy" with it, and having more control over the car after sale because the car is always checking in / talking to the mothership, so adding stuff can break it (or coding changes for things not paid for can easily be undone).

Yeah this part definitely pisses me off about Tesla. Even if you pay for a service subscription you can’t make any real changes.

If/when bmw makes a real M EV, I’ll probably move on.

Reactions: Adam3 and WhiteM3P-