Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given Tesla's current sales and finances, an extra $165 from previously sold cars probably sounds good to Tesla right now.
I doubt it, even putting aside labor costs, the cost of taking up SC time that can be spent on more important things, the stock market doesn't really care as much about that than vehicle deliveries (which is what tanked the stock). Getting a bit more service revenue would not even move the needle.

I doubt it, even putting aside labor costs, the cost of taking up SC time
1) What do you mean taking up Tesla's time? This is the ability to rent toolbox yourself and do the swap yourself. No Tesla time at all.
2) woosh. It was a joke in a time when Telsa is desperate for any cash. For instance, They're bringing back FSD transfers. Gotta keep yanking that demand lever harder every quarter.

Reactions: MP3Mike
1) What do you mean taking up Tesla's time? This is the ability to rent toolbox yourself and do the swap yourself. No Tesla time at all.
I misunderstood then, I thought you were talking about the SC doing it.
2) woosh. It was a joke in a time when Telsa is desperate for any cash. For instance, They're bringing back FSD transfers. Gotta keep yanking that demand lever harder every quarter.
Joke or not, the logic simply does not follow. The FSD transfers helps improve vehicle deliveries (which the stock market really cares about). Allowing stuff like this however encourages people to keep their existing car and does not help improve the stock position (the little bit of revenue doesn't really help). Maybe they won't close off the loop, but I don't see them for example offering to support such retrofits (for example people asking for it). We see the same thing with the data for console USB ports for example, which doesn't even need the software change, but Tesla SCs have not supported it at all.

Last edited:
I don't see them for example offering to support such retrofits
At least as far as the headlights go, there's literally no other option now if you happen to need a new headlight. The parts catalog literally tells you to buy the global headlamps and change the config to global. So at least that much is sanctioned. I suspect things like the taillamps will also go that way as inventory runs low on older parts. It makes sense for them to consolidate as much as reasonably possible.

At least as far as the headlights go, there's literally no other option now if you happen to need a new headlight. The parts catalog literally tells you to buy the global headlamps and change the config to global. So at least that much is sanctioned. I suspect things like the taillamps will also go that way as inventory runs low on older parts. It makes sense for them to consolidate as much as reasonably possible.
Sure, if you have a broken headlight, they might be forced to do that, but I mean people that have working headlights and just want to retrofit for the matrix. I don't see them offering that service.

Sure, if you have a broken headlight, they might be forced to do that, but I mean people that have working headlights and just want to retrofit for the matrix. I don't see them offering that service.
In my experience, for the most part if something shows up as a valid part for your VIN, they're willing to do it. For example for my S, I can order the mechanical horn steering wheel and they're happy to do the retrofit. They want $2k so I'm holding off, but that's another issue.

What they balk at is when a part is not considered valid for your config (your USB hub for example).

In either case, sounds like all the more reason to let people do it themselves with the help of toolbox rather than taking up SC time as you put it.

Reactions: Durzel and E90alex