Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, for the most part if something shows up as a valid part for your VIN, they're willing to do it. For example for my S, I can order the mechanical horn steering wheel and they're happy to do the retrofit. They want $2k so I'm holding off, but that's another issue.

What they balk at is when a part is not considered valid for your config (your USB hub for example).

In either case, sounds like all the more reason to let people do it themselves with the help of toolbox rather than taking up SC time as you put it.
For that specific example, from memory, didn't they have a steering wheel retrofit option already, so the horn update is simply just an update to use updated parts? It's not quite the same as in this case where it was never an option. I guess we will see though.

In my experience, for the most part if something shows up as a valid part for your VIN, they're willing to do it. For example for my S, I can order the mechanical horn steering wheel and they're happy to do the retrofit. They want $2k so I'm holding off, but that's another issue.

What they balk at is when a part is not considered valid for your config (your USB hub for example).

In either case, sounds like all the more reason to let people do it themselves with the help of toolbox rather than taking up SC time as you put it.
I would assume that this change of policy is more to do with them not wanting to manufacture and supply pre-global headlights, rather than any intentioned benefit for existing customers.

If you get a replacement steering wheel now, you’ll almost certainly get one with the heating element in, even if your car is incompatible with it (the other functions work fine), simply because Tesla aren’t making the old wheel anymore.

If people get headlight failures now I would not be completely surprised if both are replaced with global headlights, with service centres doing the coding for them (likely via a supplied script). Although they probably cost more to make for Tesla, I very much doubt they cost anything like their retail price, not at scale certainly.

(I know you made the same point previously, was more of a general observation)

For that specific example, from memory, didn't they have a steering wheel retrofit option already, so the horn update is simply just an update to use updated parts? It's not quite the same as in this case where it was never an option. I guess we will see though.
Curiously they actually got rid of the steering wheel retrofit option in the shop (which was much cheaper than buying the parts separately). But the service center will do it as long as you pay.

Public toolbox can now code headlights to global. Just tested.
Welp, I know what my next retrofit is then. Let's hope it sticks because I really don't want someone that's not me or Tesla to update my gateway config.

If you can find someone in Europe, they can buy an hour subscription for ~£33 (~$42)
Tesla quote without taxes, so it's actually £40

VPN says what?
VPN won't help I don't think. You can set a locale that's different to yours, but once you've set the locale for your service account it can't be amended (at least when I tried this a year ago). Annoyingly this was because the service manuals were only available in US and China at the time, so I had to set to a US locale.

My way around this was to create another Tesla account just for Toolbox, which allowed me to set the locale correctly. You'll probably be able to do the same as long as you create the account from service.tesla.com and choose a European region.

Dude, i just opened a service request to swap to center-horn yoke 2 weeks ago and they did it for free!! They labeled it as peeling on the invoice but I never said it was. Totally worth a shot!

At least as far as the headlights go, there's literally no other option now if you happen to need a new headlight. The parts catalog literally tells you to buy the global headlamps and change the config to global. So at least that much is sanctioned. I suspect things like the taillamps will also go that way as inventory runs low on older parts. It makes sense for them to consolidate as much as reasonably possible.
Wait… are you saying if we get a headlight replacement under warranty, they’ll swap to the newer headlights since the old ones are out of stock now? If so, that’s excellent news for me. One of my headlights flickers very faintly sometimes and I’ve been holding off getting it replaced because I’ve been eyeing the matrix.

I’ve got a 21 MS refresh, pre headlight refresh

Last edited:
Wait… are you saying if we get a headlight replacement under warranty, they’ll swap to the newer headlights since the old ones are out of stock now? If so, that’s excellent news for me. One of my headlights flickers very faintly sometimes and I’ve been holding off getting it replaced because I’ve been eyeing the matrix.

I’ve got a 21 MS refresh, pre headlight refresh
My statement was in reference to model 3/y.

Well I don’t know for sure, but if I look up the headlights for a US Model 3 on the Tesla Parts Catalog it’s a different part number to if I look up a AU Model 3:

US Model 3:
- Left: 1514952-00-E
- Right: 1514953-00-E

AU Model 3:
- Left: 1514952-10-E
- Right: 1514953-10-E

My understanding is that the letter at the end is the revision (they constantly tweak the parts). I’m not sure what the -00 and -10 refer to, so I’m assuming it’s LHD v RHD. If someone with more information can chime in that would be awesome.

Don’t get me wrong, I want them to be the same too, it would make my search for used headlights easier.
So doing some more research into this, every global headlamp I'm finding off used UK / European cars have a -00 part number (but usually an earlier revision like 00-C or 00-D) despite showing the -10 part number in the EPC like Australia. Hard to say with certainty, but my suspicion is that at some point fairly recently, some European regulation changed that forced Tesla to change a marking or something, and they decided to just roll that out to any car built in China. Without seeing the -00 and -10 lights side by side, it's hard to know what the precise difference is.

My gut feeling is you'd be just fine with one of the -00 parts.

• Informative
Reactions: dasn and Durzel
Ive posted LIN dump here but it was deleted.

Guys, it's not a "random file", it's lin bus dump.

Someone asked it a couple of pages ago to learn how the car control matrix headlight. If it's still needed, let me know, I'll post it on e again.